Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Fred Moyer wrote:
> One thing I learned after spending about a week comparing the Athlon (2
> ghz, 333 mhz frontside bus) and Xeon (2.4 ghz, 266 mhz frontside bus)
> platforms was that on average the select queries I was benchmarking ran
> 30% faster on the Athlon (this was with data cached in memory so may not
> apply to the larger data sets where I/O is the limiting factor.)
>
> I benchmarked against the Opteron 244 when it came out and it came in
> about the same as the Athlon (makes sense since both were 333 mhz
> memory).  The results within +/- 5-10% that of the Athlon.  From testing
> against a couple of other machines I noticed that the memory bus speeds
> were almost directly proportional to the query times under these
> conditions.

I remember a posting here about opteron, which essentially said, even if opteron
works on par with athlon under few clients, as load increases it scales more
than 50% better than athlons.

So that could be another shot at it.Sorry, no handy URL here.

  Shridhar