Обсуждение: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
"Della-Croce, Gregory"

As a novice to Postgres I have a small problem.   I ran the install of the ODBC Postgres drivers (psplodbc35w.dll), and I verified that the file exists.  However when I go to the Data Source manager in Windows 7 (Home Premium) Postgres is not a database type in the list.   Can anyone point me to what I may have done wrong?  A link, article, anything!

Greg Della-Croce

Applications Administrator

Greg_Della-Croce@Wycliffe.org

SKYPE: GDellaCroce55

Cell: 407-408-2572

                                                                   THINK ON THIS:

"All that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual" ~ Albert Einstein

“All this is valuable in Christ’s Kingdom depens upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual by the Holy Spirit to Glorify the Father”  ~ Greg Della-Croce

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 05/06/2012 18:11, Della-Croce, Gregory wrote:
> As a novice to Postgres I have a small problem.   I ran the install of
> the ODBC Postgres drivers (psplodbc35w.dll), and I verified that the
> file exists.  However when I go to the Data Source manager in Windows 7
> (Home Premium) Postgres is not a database type in the list.   Can anyone
> point me to what I may have done wrong?  A link, article, anything!

The only thing I can think of is that you're running a 64-bit OS and
you've installed the 32-bit ODBC driver; if that's the case, then you
need to use the 32-bit driver manager to see the driver, set up DSNs
etc. It should be here:

   C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Hope this helps,

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 06/05/2012 10:11 AM, Della-Croce, Gregory wrote:
> As a novice to Postgres I have a small problem. I ran the install of the
> ODBC Postgres drivers (psplodbc35w.dll), and I verified that the file
> exists. However when I go to the Data Source manager in Windows 7 (Home
> Premium) Postgres is not a database type in the list.

What list?
  User DSN
  System DSN
  File DSN
  or
  Drivers?

Are you logged in as Administrator or not?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
"Della-Croce, Gregory"
Дата:
Thanks for responding!  It is none of the lists: User, System, File DSN or Drivers.   In fact the System DSN is blank.
AndMy Data Sources is also blank in File DSN.   The only drivers that show are MS Access/dBASE, MS Access, MS ACCESS
Text,MS EXCEL, and SQL Server.
Yes I am signed in as Admin when I did the psqlodbc install and I have opened the ODBC Data Source as Admin also.

These are good questions.  I wish they sparked an answer :)

Greg Della-Croce

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
Barry Bell
Дата:
640bit ODBC are visiable in Windows 7 control,
32-bit ODBC drivers are only visible in " C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe"

You will find a separate list of 32-bit odbc drive list postgress.

Thanks
Barry Bell, IT Department

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 06/05/2012 12:41 PM, Della-Croce, Gregory wrote:
> Thanks for responding!  It is none of the lists: User, System, File DSN or Drivers.   In fact the System DSN is
blank. And My Data Sources is also blank in File DSN.   The only drivers that show are MS Access/dBASE, MS Access, MS
ACCESSText, MS EXCEL, and SQL Server.
> Yes I am signed in as Admin when I did the psqlodbc install and I have opened the ODBC Data Source as Admin also.
>
> These are good questions.  I wish they sparked an answer :)

In that case Rays answer is the one you should pursue. For more info see:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#Where_is_the_PostgreSQL_ODBC_driver.3F_I.27m_running_32-bit_PostgreSQL_on_64-bit_Windows

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
"Della-Croce, Gregory"
Дата:
Thanks all that got me to the right place to set up the connection!   Great advice.  I thought I had done it earlier
butnow it gives me the system DSN values I need to set up the connection for my stuff.

Greg Della-Croce

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
Barry Bell
Дата:
Suggest your use a DSN-less connection if possible, Connection string below works for me:
"Driver={PostgreSQL
ANSI};Server=servername;Port=5432;Database=dbname;Uid=username;Pwd=password;BI=2;TextAsLongVarchar=1;UnknownSizes=2;"

This eliminates a lot of setup issues on a the end user (or end server) machine

Thanks
Barry Bell, IT Department

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Why would Postgres not show in my data connections (Win 7)

От
"Adrien W. de Croy"

If you're on a 64 bit OS, and you installed the 32 bit driver, it will only show up under the 32 bit ODBC manager, which is in windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Regards

Adrien
----
WinGate 7 is released! - http://www.wingate.com/getlatest/

[...]

Дата:
the underlying reason is registry redirection.

32 bit apps on win64 get registry access to HKLM\Software redirected to
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node

So the ODBC stuff which is all stored in the registry is in a different
location for 32 and 64 bit apps.

They didn't port their ODBC admin program to cover both stores, so you
need to run the one which matches.

Adrien

>640bit ODBC are visiable in Windows 7 control,
>32-bit ODBC drivers are only visible in " C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe"
>
>You will find a separate list of 32-bit odbc drive list postgress.
>

>Thanks
>Barry Bell, IT Department

wow.... 3 hours to get processed by the list....

Adrien de Croy - WinGate Proxy Server - http://www.wingate.com/