Обсуждение: Bound column and serial datatype question

Bound column and serial datatype question

От
lothar.behrens@lollisoft.de
Дата:
Hi,

I have a table like this:

CREATE TABLE Kunden
(
  ID serial NOT NULL,
  CustomerNr serial NOT NULL,
  Name CHAR(100),
);

Using bound columns in a form to show the customer data I don´t like to let the user
updating the CustomerNr field. This is because, a normal data field is not
autogenerated, but these 'serial' data fields.

But I like to show the CustomerNr field in the form. Therefore, I simply made the
field readonly in the form. But if I insert a new row, the fields data (defaults to 0)
would be used as the new value in the table.

How to avoid this ?

Thanks

Lothar

--
Lothar Behrens        www.lollisoft.de
Rosmarinstr 3        My public project:

Re: Bound column and serial datatype question

От
"Philippe Lang"
Дата:
What about using a server-side function for doing your insert? This function can simply return the id of the inserted
line,and on  the client-side, you open it? This is a very useful method for doing inserts. It allows you to do all
kindsof initializations and sanity checks server-side.

Using bound columns in a form to show the customer data I don´t like to let the user updating the CustomerNr field.
Thisis because, a normal data field is not autogenerated, but these 'serial' data fields.

But I like to show the CustomerNr field in the form. Therefore, I simply made the field readonly in the form. But if I
inserta new row, the fields data (defaults to 0) would be used as the new value in the table.

How to avoid this ?

Thanks

Lothar

--
Lothar Behrens        www.lollisoft.de
Rosmarinstr 3        My public project:
40235 Düsseldorf      http://sourceforge.net/projects/lbdmf

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Bound column and serial datatype question

От
Marko Ristola
Дата:
If you remove the NOT NULL definition from the CustomerNr,
you can put there a NULL value too.

The SQL email list is better for these questions, because they have
more knoledge of these kinds of problems ...

(The CustomerNr and ID columns seem to have redundant information.)

Regards,
Marko Ristola

lothar.behrens@lollisoft.de wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a table like this:
>
>CREATE TABLE Kunden
>(
>  ID serial NOT NULL,
>  CustomerNr serial NOT NULL,
>  Name CHAR(100),
>);
>
>Using bound columns in a form to show the customer data I don´t like to let the user
>updating the CustomerNr field. This is because, a normal data field is not
>autogenerated, but these 'serial' data fields.
>
>But I like to show the CustomerNr field in the form. Therefore, I simply made the
>field readonly in the form. But if I insert a new row, the fields data (defaults to 0)
>would be used as the new value in the table.
>
>How to avoid this ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Lothar
>
>--
>Lothar Behrens        www.lollisoft.de
>Rosmarinstr 3        My public project:
>40235 Düsseldorf      http://sourceforge.net/projects/lbdmf

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Bound column and serial datatype question

От
lothar.behrens@lollisoft.de
Дата:
Am 23 Apr 2005 um 9:57 hat Marko Ristola geschrieben:

I have solved the problem by shortly unbind the affected column.
The problem, that will stay, is that I do not know, how to detect such
a column by an ODBC call like SQLDescribeCol.

Lothar