Обсуждение: Linux group access to ..../psql/data & subdirectories

Linux group access to ..../psql/data & subdirectories

От
"Birchall, Austen"

9.2 on Red Hat 6

I would like users other than postgres to be able to ‘see’ the postgres owned files and directories that are under ....../psql/data

However definitely a Linux group and giving group access:

750 to them gives me

FATAL:  data directory “........../pgsql/data" has group or world access

DETAIL:  Permissions should be u=rwx (0700).

Is there any way around this?

Austen

Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
Met Office

Re: Linux group access to ..../psql/data & subdirectories

От
raghu ram

I would like users other than postgres to be able to ‘see’ the postgres owned files and directories that are under ....../psql/data

However definitely a Linux group and giving group access:

750 to them gives me

FATAL:  data directory “........../pgsql/data" has group or world access

DETAIL:  Permissions should be u=rwx (0700).

Provide 700 permissions to Data Directory.

cd ..../pgsql

chmod 700 data

and then start the cluster using pg_ctl utility.

Thanks & Regards
Raghu Ram
skypeid: raghu.ramedb

Re: Linux group access to ..../psql/data & subdirectories

От
"Birchall, Austen"

Hi Raghu

chmod 700 data

should that be

chmod 750 data.

However even after doing this wouldn’t the 700 permissions on the plsql directory on leaf above still prevent access?

Austen

p.s. Unfortunately I don’t have a sandpit at the moment so I can’t easily try this out otherwise I would have done so before replying

I would like users other than postgres to be able to ‘see’ the postgres owned files and directories that are under ....../psql/data

However definitely a Linux group and giving group access:

750 to them gives me

FATAL:  data directory “........../pgsql/data" has group or world access

DETAIL:  Permissions should be u=rwx (0700).

Provide 700 permissions to Data Directory.

cd ..../pgsql

chmod 700 data

and then start the cluster using pg_ctl utility.

Thanks & Regards

Raghu Ram

skypeid: raghu.ramedb

Re: Linux group access to ..../psql/data & subdirectories

От
David Johnston
Дата:
Birchall, Austen wrote
> 9.2 on Red Hat 6
>
> I would like users other than postgres to be able to 'see' the postgres
> owned files and directories that are under ....../psql/data
>
> However definitely a Linux group and giving group access:
>
> 750 to them gives me
>

> FATAL:  data directory "........../pgsql/data" has group or world access
>
> DETAIL:  Permissions should be u=rwx (0700).
>

> Is there any way around this?
>
> Austen
>

> Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
> Met Office

I would advise you to comment on WHY you feel that such is necessary.

I cannot speak to whether sub-directories can be made less-secure and still
allow the server to start but in short the "/pgsql/data" directory has
intentionally been setup so that it can only be accessed by root or postgres
while the server is running.

From my limited knowledge, if you disagree and want to change that policy
you will need to compile from source after locating and changing the
relevant code.

David J.

Re: Linux group access to ..../psql/data & subdirectories

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Birchall, Austen
<austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
> should that be
>

> chmod 750 data.

No. From te documentation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/creating-cluster.html

Because the data directory contains all the data stored in the
database, it is essential that it be secured from unauthorized access.
initdb therefore revokes access permissions from everyone but the
PostgreSQL user.

> However even after doing this wouldn’t the 700 permissions on the plsql
> directory on leaf above still prevent access?

Of course. But you don't need to have access to the pgdata directory,
or at least you can split things so that if you need access to same
part (e.g., configuration files or logs) you can have right to it.

How to Monitor backups

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
Hi again

9.2.4 on RHEL 6

I have a backup that runs by cronjob every day which is basically this:

00 19 * * *   /backup_scripts/locsng_backup.sh > /cron/locsng_backup.out 2>&1

View /backup_scripts/locsng_backup.sh:

# carry out schema only  backup of the db database
/pg_dumpall -l db -U postgres -s > /backups/pg_db_schema_backups/db_ci_schema_dump$date_of_backup.sql 2>&1

# carry out backup of db database
/pg_dump -Fc db -U postgres > /backups/pg_db_db_backups/db_ci_backup$date_of_backup

# carry out cluster wide metadata backup
/pg_dumpall -g > /backups/pg_cluster_dump/cluster_ci_medadata$date_of_backup.sql

Is there a best practise way of how to monitor this sort of backup?

 - my initial ideas are:

1. Check by cron if /cron/locsng_backup.out > 24 hours old (of course this will not work if cron fails) and if so
notifythe DBA by email?

2. As part of the script check if cron/locsng_backup.out > 0 bytes in size (of course this will not work if cron fails)
andif so notify the DBA by email?

3. Does pg_dump,  pg_dumpall return an error code if it is unsuccessful and can be trapped in same way and then used to
notifythe DBA by email?

Thanks in advance

Austen

Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
Met Office

Re: How to Monitor backups

От
Payal Singh
Дата:
Hey,

Any automated monitoring job is based on the assumption that the tool automating it will work fine. With this assumption in mind, option 1 seems like the simplest and most efficient way.

Of course, yet another precaution you can take is to schedule email to DBA if there is any error in the backup creation script itself (mail if there is anything in the stderr), which will also take into account any error generated by pg_dump/dumpall commands.

Payal Singh,
OmniTi Computer Consulting Inc.
Junior Database Architect,
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

I have a backup that runs by cronjob every day which is basically this:

00 19 * * *   /backup_scripts/locsng_backup.sh > /cron/locsng_backup.out 2>&1

View /backup_scripts/locsng_backup.sh:

# carry out schema only  backup of the db database
/pg_dumpall -l db -U postgres -s > /backups/pg_db_schema_backups/db_ci_schema_dump$date_of_backup.sql 2>&1

# carry out backup of db database
/pg_dump -Fc db -U postgres > /backups/pg_db_db_backups/db_ci_backup$date_of_backup

# carry out cluster wide metadata backup
/pg_dumpall -g > /backups/pg_cluster_dump/cluster_ci_medadata$date_of_backup.sql

Is there a best practise way of how to monitor this sort of backup?

 - my initial ideas are:

1. Check by cron if /cron/locsng_backup.out > 24 hours old (of course this will not work if cron fails) and if so notify the DBA by email?

2. As part of the script check if cron/locsng_backup.out > 0 bytes in size (of course this will not work if cron fails) and if so notify the DBA by email?

3. Does pg_dump,  pg_dumpall return an error code if it is unsuccessful and can be trapped in same way and then used to notify the DBA by email?

Thanks in advance

Austen

Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
Met Office

Re: How to Monitor backups

От
"Birchall, Austen"

Payal

Thanks for this:

schedule email to DBA if there is any error in the backup creation script itself (mail if there is anything in the stderr)

will the 2>&1 part of the crontab direct the stderr into the /cron/db_backup.out file ?

00 19 * * *   /backup_scripts/db_backup.sh > /cron/db_backup.out 2>&1

If so I could check by cron if this file > 0 bytes and if so mail to DBA?

Austen

Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
Met Office
FitzRoy Road Exeter EX1 3PB United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1392 884481 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
[...]

Дата:
Checking the size of log file will also trigger a mail even if there are no errors, and just a normal stdout message. If you specifically want to mail DBAs only when there is an error, you could pipe it with grep, or just use an if/else block after redirecting stderr to a separate file and mail it,  like:

00 19 * * *   /backup_scripts/db_backup.sh > /cron/db_backup.out 2>/../error_file.err | if [ -s /../err_file.err ] then mailx...

OR

00 19 * * *   /backup_scripts/db_backup.sh 2>&1 >> /cron/db_backup.out  | grep 'ERROR' >&2

The grep method assumes that any error generated by a job in crontab will be emailed.

Also, please test the above commands in a test script manually before scheduling them.

[...]

Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.

От
"Birchall, Austen"

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but......

We are currently looking at Barman and have just installed it on a test server.

However, our Sys Admin has said:

A couple of notes though, the work order asks for the instructions found at http://docs.pgbarman.org/ be followed for installation. However they request that you add an additional repository to the server in order to access the rpms. We cannot add additional repos to servers and so to get the packages installed on the box they were downloaded manually on a desktop machine and then moved to the server and installed locally. This method will not scale to production and someone will need to take ownership of this piece of software and provide us with rpms (or preferably in the long term a local repo containing them) ensuring that they have been provided by a trusted source.

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t fully understand all aout rpms etc. etc. so does anybody have any any insights, comments etc. on how to proceed here?

Many thanks

Austen

Austen Birchall  Senior Database Administrator
Met Office

Re: Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
Austen Birchall wrote:
> We are currently looking at Barman and have just installed it on a test server.
>
> However, our Sys Admin has said:
>
> A couple of notes though, the work order asks for the instructions found at http://docs.pgbarman.org/
> be followed for installation. However they request that you add an additional repository to the server
> in order to access the rpms. We cannot add additional repos to servers and so to get the packages
> installed on the box they were downloaded manually on a desktop machine and then moved to the server
> and installed locally. This method will not scale to production and someone will need to take
> ownership of this piece of software and provide us with rpms (or preferably in the long term a local
> repo containing them) ensuring that they have been provided by a trusted source.
>
> I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t fully understand all aout rpms etc. etc. so does anybody have
> any any insights, comments etc. on how to proceed here?

I'd say that either an enterprise is small enough that they can
afford to distribute and install software manually or it
is big enough to have its own software distribution system.

How do you distribute other software (like PostgreSQL) to your servers?

Maybe I am missing something there, but what keeps you from adding the
RPMs from http://yum.postgresql.org/ to your own software distribution
system?

So I don't understand this argument at all.

The second argument ("ownership of the software", "trusted source")
sounds slightly like "it doesn't come from a large corporation, so we
don't trust it".

Maybe I read that wrong, but it seems to call for skills in advocacy
more than anything else:
If you don't trust the RPMs, what reason do you have to trust the
source code behind it?
Why do you trust RedHat (or whatever vendor your Linux comes from)?
They don't own Linux.
But they are big, so they are trustworthy, right?
You sure?

But of course you don't have to trust Barman, that's the point.
You can examine the source code to form your own opinion.
You can roll your own RPMs if the ones provided don't suit you
(that's not such a hard exercise).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.

От
Payal Singh
Дата:
If RPMs are giving trouble, try installing from source code instead.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
Austen Birchall wrote:
> We are currently looking at Barman and have just installed it on a test server.
>
> However, our Sys Admin has said:
>
> A couple of notes though, the work order asks for the instructions found at http://docs.pgbarman.org/
> be followed for installation. However they request that you add an additional repository to the server
> in order to access the rpms. We cannot add additional repos to servers and so to get the packages
> installed on the box they were downloaded manually on a desktop machine and then moved to the server
> and installed locally. This method will not scale to production and someone will need to take
> ownership of this piece of software and provide us with rpms (or preferably in the long term a local
> repo containing them) ensuring that they have been provided by a trusted source.
>
> I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t fully understand all aout rpms etc. etc. so does anybody have
> any any insights, comments etc. on how to proceed here?

I'd say that either an enterprise is small enough that they can
afford to distribute and install software manually or it
is big enough to have its own software distribution system.

How do you distribute other software (like PostgreSQL) to your servers?

Maybe I am missing something there, but what keeps you from adding the
RPMs from http://yum.postgresql.org/ to your own software distribution
system?

So I don't understand this argument at all.

The second argument ("ownership of the software", "trusted source")
sounds slightly like "it doesn't come from a large corporation, so we
don't trust it".

Maybe I read that wrong, but it seems to call for skills in advocacy
more than anything else:
If you don't trust the RPMs, what reason do you have to trust the
source code behind it?
Why do you trust RedHat (or whatever vendor your Linux comes from)?
They don't own Linux.
But they are big, so they are trustworthy, right?
You sure?

But of course you don't have to trust Barman, that's the point.
You can examine the source code to form your own opinion.
You can roll your own RPMs if the ones provided don't suit you
(that's not such a hard exercise).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.

От
"Athanasios | ZenGuard"
Дата:
Which can be a maintenance nightmare sometimes (just a heads up)

Austen Birchall wrote:
> We are currently looking at Barman and have just installed it on a test server.
>
> However, our Sys Admin has said:
>
> A couple of notes though, the work order asks for the instructions found at http://docs.pgbarman.org/
> be followed for installation. However they request that you add an additional repository to the server
> in order to access the rpms. We cannot add additional repos to servers and so to get the packages
> installed on the box they were downloaded manually on a desktop machine and then moved to the server
> and installed locally. This method will not scale to production and someone will need to take
> ownership of this piece of software and provide us with rpms (or preferably in the long term a local
> repo containing them) ensuring that they have been provided by a trusted source.
>
> I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t fully understand all aout rpms etc. etc. so does anybody have
> any any insights, comments etc. on how to proceed here?

I'd say that either an enterprise is small enough that they can
afford to distribute and install software manually or it
is big enough to have its own software distribution system.

How do you distribute other software (like PostgreSQL) to your servers?

Maybe I am missing something there, but what keeps you from adding the
RPMs from http://yum.postgresql.org/ to your own software distribution
system?

So I don't understand this argument at all.

The second argument ("ownership of the software", "trusted source")
sounds slightly like "it doesn't come from a large corporation, so we
don't trust it".

Maybe I read that wrong, but it seems to call for skills in advocacy
more than anything else:
If you don't trust the RPMs, what reason do you have to trust the
source code behind it?
Why do you trust RedHat (or whatever vendor your Linux comes from)?
They don't own Linux.
But they are big, so they are trustworthy, right?
You sure?

But of course you don't have to trust Barman, that's the point.
You can examine the source code to form your own opinion.
You can roll your own RPMs if the ones provided don't suit you
(that's not such a hard exercise).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.

От
Payal Singh
Дата:
If you do want to give installing from source a try, you should ensure you have the following packages (at least on CentOS, these have to be installed first):

1. setuptools
2. pip
3. argh
4. python-dateutil