Re: Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.

От Payal Singh
Тема Re: Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.
Дата
Re: Barman - secure installation - any insights, comments etc.  (Payal Singh <payal@omniti.com>)
Список pgsql-novice
If RPMs are giving trouble, try installing from source code instead.

Payal Singh,
OmniTi Computer Consulting Inc.
Junior Database Architect,
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
Austen Birchall wrote:
> We are currently looking at Barman and have just installed it on a test server.
>
> However, our Sys Admin has said:
>
> A couple of notes though, the work order asks for the instructions found at http://docs.pgbarman.org/
> be followed for installation. However they request that you add an additional repository to the server
> in order to access the rpms. We cannot add additional repos to servers and so to get the packages
> installed on the box they were downloaded manually on a desktop machine and then moved to the server
> and installed locally. This method will not scale to production and someone will need to take
> ownership of this piece of software and provide us with rpms (or preferably in the long term a local
> repo containing them) ensuring that they have been provided by a trusted source.
>
> I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t fully understand all aout rpms etc. etc. so does anybody have
> any any insights, comments etc. on how to proceed here?

I'd say that either an enterprise is small enough that they can
afford to distribute and install software manually or it
is big enough to have its own software distribution system.

How do you distribute other software (like PostgreSQL) to your servers?

Maybe I am missing something there, but what keeps you from adding the
RPMs from http://yum.postgresql.org/ to your own software distribution
system?

So I don't understand this argument at all.

The second argument ("ownership of the software", "trusted source")
sounds slightly like "it doesn't come from a large corporation, so we
don't trust it".

Maybe I read that wrong, but it seems to call for skills in advocacy
more than anything else:
If you don't trust the RPMs, what reason do you have to trust the
source code behind it?
Why do you trust RedHat (or whatever vendor your Linux comes from)?
They don't own Linux.
But they are big, so they are trustworthy, right?
You sure?

But of course you don't have to trust Barman, that's the point.
You can examine the source code to form your own opinion.
You can roll your own RPMs if the ones provided don't suit you
(that's not such a hard exercise).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe