Обсуждение: I can't even get started..... HELP!!!

I can't even get started..... HELP!!!

От
John Draper
Дата:
Ok,   I went into the "ports" directory and dowloaded what I thought was
PostGreSQL.

1.   Ok,   we downloaded and un-tared the postgresql on our new virgin
FreeBSD system.

2.   Result of which,  put the following files in this directory.

       /usr/local/pgsql

3.   An 'ls" of this directory yeilds:

.profile                include                 post-install-notes
bin                     lib
data                    man

4.  The file "post-install-notes" says to run the script...

$PREFIX/etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh start

5.  I've done that,  and get:

PREFIX: Undefined variable.

And I'm dead in the water....    HELP?

So I read the docs on the site to figure out whats going on,   and is
says that
I have to run "postmaster"

I'm running as root,   and so I go into....

/usr/local/pgsql/bin

And sure enough,   there it is....

createdb        dropuser        pg_ctl          pg_passwd       psql
createlang      ecpg            pg_dump         pg_upgrade      vacuumdb

createuser      initdb          pg_dumpall      pg_version
dropdb          initlocation    pg_encoding     postgres
droplang        ipcclean        pg_id           postmaster

I type:    postmaster
But get:

postmaster: Command not found.

WTF!!!

Ok,   so I read further that is says I have to create a superuser,   but
it doesn't say in what order
I'm to do these things...

I was lead into this by reading (WHAT I BELIEVED) to be the very first
document I should
read.

From this point on,   NO MATTER WHAT I do,  to follow the docs,
NOTHING AT ALL
indicates Ive done ANYTHING RIGHT.

It is clear I'm missing some vital steps here....

So,   could someone please PAGE me on ICQ at 5310192..   I show up as
OFF-LINE
If you don't have ICQ,   mail me anyway,  and I'll mail you back the
details on how to
get on our private IRC server,  so someone can "hold me by the hand" to
get me started.

It is clear that I do NOT have the experience to do this by myself.

I cannot access any of the "public" IRC servers because I'm banned
because my irc clients
doesn't so some stupid "identd",  so I'm deprived of even getting access
to instant or on-line
help.

John

Re: I can't even get started..... HELP!!!

От
John Draper
Дата:
>Simplest thing to do; forget the ports collection.  The installation
>instructions available on postgresql.org are excellent, and it goes very
>smoothly on a FreeBSD box.
>
>Postgres is a fine RDBMS, I think you'll agree that it was worth the
>install :)

Thanx to Dr Vague,    who paged me on ICQ,   and very patiently held my
hand through this complex procedure,     because I un-knowingly used the
Ports collection,    he saved the day.     Here is what transpired...

Bear in mind,   I'm running FreeBSD,  a fresh install...   did the "Ports"
install,   but for those that stumbled down the same path I took,    here is
ALSO what you have to do.

-----------

Notes in Installing and Setting up PostGreSQL.

1.  Do the "ports" installation.   It should then create a directory
    /usr/local/pgsql

2.  It already created the "pgsql" user,   but it created the user with
    no "shell" command,    so we have to edit the /etc/passwd file so
    this line looks like this.    First,   go into "root" before editing
    it.

3.  Edit the entry to look like this:

    pgsql:*:89:89::0:0:PostgreSQL Daemon:/usr/local/pgsql:/bin/sh

    NOTE:  The stupid installer fucked up and set the account so
    there is no login.

    Use:    "vipw" to edit the password file.

4.  From "root"  type in:   su -l pgsql  - this logs you into the
    "pgsql" account,   from which all other actions can take place.

5.  Type:   pg_ctl -w start - This starts the postmaster Daemon.
    this runs a script that starts the postmaster.

6.  If,  for some problem,  the machine goes down "dirty" or something
    failed,    after restarting again.

    there is a file in /tmp called .s.PGSQL-5432 or something similar...
    you have to remove that file before the postmaster can be restarted
    again.

7.  psql template1 - should now start up PostGreSQL,  using this as a
    default database.

Thanx a lot everyone....   I'll stay in here a few days to catch any other
"gotchas" that might be posted.

John

Re: I can't even get started..... HELP!!!

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
Whoa! One thing at a time...

PREFIX is an internal variable used in the ports makefiles to set where
exactly something gets installed. Usually, replace that with "/usr/local".

So what do you get when you run the start script?
 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh start

Just typing "postmaster" at the command prompt won't do you any good until
you set your shell's PATH variable to include the directory
/usr/local/pgsql/bin

Pay attention also to the command line options you may need with
postmaster.

If none of the above made sense, step back and learn the Unix command line
environment first before playing around as root. Patience is rewarded
because the stuff does work -- you just need to understand how.

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

Louis Bertrand       http://www.bertrandtech.on.ca/
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Tel: +1.905.623.1500  Fax: +1.905.623.3852

OpenBSD: Secure by default.  http://www.openbsd.org/