I can't even get started..... HELP!!!

От John Draper
Тема I can't even get started..... HELP!!!
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Ok,   I went into the "ports" directory and dowloaded what I thought was
PostGreSQL.

1.   Ok,   we downloaded and un-tared the postgresql on our new virgin
FreeBSD system.

2.   Result of which,  put the following files in this directory.

       /usr/local/pgsql

3.   An 'ls" of this directory yeilds:

.profile                include                 post-install-notes
bin                     lib
data                    man

4.  The file "post-install-notes" says to run the script...

$PREFIX/etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh start

5.  I've done that,  and get:

PREFIX: Undefined variable.

And I'm dead in the water....    HELP?

So I read the docs on the site to figure out whats going on,   and is
says that
I have to run "postmaster"

I'm running as root,   and so I go into....

/usr/local/pgsql/bin

And sure enough,   there it is....

createdb        dropuser        pg_ctl          pg_passwd       psql
createlang      ecpg            pg_dump         pg_upgrade      vacuumdb

createuser      initdb          pg_dumpall      pg_version
dropdb          initlocation    pg_encoding     postgres
droplang        ipcclean        pg_id           postmaster

I type:    postmaster
But get:

postmaster: Command not found.

WTF!!!

Ok,   so I read further that is says I have to create a superuser,   but
it doesn't say in what order
I'm to do these things...

I was lead into this by reading (WHAT I BELIEVED) to be the very first
document I should
read.

From this point on,   NO MATTER WHAT I do,  to follow the docs,
NOTHING AT ALL
indicates Ive done ANYTHING RIGHT.

It is clear I'm missing some vital steps here....

So,   could someone please PAGE me on ICQ at 5310192..   I show up as
OFF-LINE
If you don't have ICQ,   mail me anyway,  and I'll mail you back the
details on how to
get on our private IRC server,  so someone can "hold me by the hand" to
get me started.

It is clear that I do NOT have the experience to do this by myself.

I cannot access any of the "public" IRC servers because I'm banned
because my irc clients
doesn't so some stupid "identd",  so I'm deprived of even getting access
to instant or on-line
help.

John