Обсуждение: RE: iofflush psql 7.0.3 coredump on RH 6.1

RE: iofflush psql 7.0.3 coredump on RH 6.1

От
Rasputin
Дата:
Sod's Law, isn't it?

The minute you report a bug, you find a workaround.

In this case, disabling readline starts up the client OK.

(That'd be :

[postgres@cartman pgsql]$ psql -n -d honeypi
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

honeypi=#

)
Thanks - could probably do with fixing , though?
I'll try upgrading readline on this system ,and see what happens.
Cheers.

  --
  Rasputin
  Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns

Re: RE: iofflush psql 7.0.3 coredump on RH 6.1

Дата:
Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:
> In this case, disabling readline starts up the client OK.

> I'll try upgrading readline on this system ,and see what happens.

I was just going to suggest that.  Did you compile Postgres from source,
or is this an assemblage of RPMs?  There have been enough different
versions of libreadline distributed that I wouldn't be surprised to find
out that our RPMs are not compatible with some of 'em.  But I dunno
whether the RPMs are marked with sufficiently tight dependency info.

If you find that a newer libreadline fixes it, we'd like to know what
the old and new libreadline versions are ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: RE: iofflush psql 7.0.3 coredump on RH 6.1

От
Rasputin
Дата:
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:26:07AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:
> > In this case, disabling readline starts up the client OK.
>
> > I'll try upgrading readline on this system ,and see what happens.
>
> I was just going to suggest that.  Did you compile Postgres from source,
> or is this an assemblage of RPMs?

Oh, nooo. I learnt *that* lesson long ago....
This was a build from source, latest stable 7.0.3 (?)

> If you find that a newer libreadline fixes it, we'd like to know what
> the old and new libreadline versions are ...

It did.

The offender was readline-4.0.1
(to be fair I don't think it's the default on 6.1 - STR upgrading it to
fix *another* bug while installing gnome-1.2)

Installing 4.1 fixed it.

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns

Re: RE: iofflush psql 7.0.3 coredump on RH 6.1

Дата:
Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:
>> If you find that a newer libreadline fixes it, we'd like to know what
>> the old and new libreadline versions are ...

> It did.

> The offender was readline-4.0.1
> (to be fair I don't think it's the default on 6.1 - STR upgrading it to
> fix *another* bug while installing gnome-1.2)

> Installing 4.1 fixed it.

Odd.  I'm using 4.0 here without any difficulty, and I don't recall
anyone reporting similar problems with recent readlines (I was afraid
you had a 2.something version...).  Has anyone else seen a problem with
4.0.1?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [BUGS] Re: RE: iofflush psql 7.0.3 coredump on RH 6.1

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Odd.  I'm using 4.0 here without any difficulty, and I don't recall
> anyone reporting similar problems with recent readlines (I was afraid
> you had a 2.something version...).  Has anyone else seen a problem with
> 4.0.1?

We just ran across a problem with 3.x vs 4.x libraries when installing
an RPM package for another project.

There were a few unresolved symbols in 4.0 that seem to be available in
another library, but I haven't heard how we finally resolved it.

Is this related to your symptom?

                     - Thomas