Обсуждение: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
Thanks a lot for the release!  There are some leftovers in the 'src' tarballs
that prevent me to actually build and update Fedora package ...

Could we regenerate the [1] tarball so that there are no 'SNAPSHOT' strings
inside?
$ grep -r SNAPSHOT | grep pom
ubenchmark/pom.xml:    <version>9.4.1207-SNAPSHOT</version>
pom.xml:    <version>9.4.1207-SNAPSHOT</version>
pgjdbc/pom.xml:    <version>9.4.1207-SNAPSHOT</version>

I'm thinking about how to avoid this situation for the next time, but I'm
probably not aware of release process in pgjdbc.  May I help here somehow?

Vladimir told me that the tarball is prepared by 'mvn package -Dmaven.test.skip=true
-P release-artifacts' command, but that fails on my box when I checkout
'REL9.4.1209' tag.

[1] https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Hi Pavel,

What do you use the tarball for ?

Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?

maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.

Previously I have used git archive to produce the tar files.

Your input would be valuable here.

[...]

Vladimir Sitnikov
Дата:
What do you use the tarball for ?

Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?

maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.

Vladimir

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
Hi Dave,

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:55:14 AM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> What do you use the tarball for ?

we use tarballs to generate SRPMs (source RPM) and then we build binary RPMs
from it.

> Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?
>
> maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.

I concur here, we don't wan't binary stuff in distribution tarball.

> Previously I have used git archive to produce the tar files.

Ah, I'm probably just puzzled what I should downlad?  That archive comming from
[1] is not git archive result.  Do we have link?  We historically go to [1] for
your releases and it always worked for us ... (before 1202 release or something
like that).

> Your input would be valuable here.

The problem is that I don't have a mandate to 'git archive' myself -- that
wouldn't be fair because people doesn't have to necessarily trust me that I'm
not cheating.  So -- Fedora's packages are *just* 'upstream release tarball' +
'set of transparent donwstream patches'.  It is proven that (or at least anybody
can prove that) I can't do anything wrong and it is safe to use Fedora package.

I have some suggestions in case we can somehow discuss the tarball format:

  * generate stable and predictable prefix within tarball, so everything goes
    e.g. into 'pgsql-VERSION-RELEASE/' when tarball is named
    pgsql-VERSION-RELEASE.tar.gz

  * provide script so we can generate the SNAPSHOT version the same way, and I
    can than fix the CI in git, this way we can sync Fedora downstream package
    with the RPM package tracked in github.com/pgjdbc.

  * keep the format of that tarball unchanged among all future releases :)

It is somehow complicated to discuss here, I'm 'praiskup' on freenode irc, so if
you wanted to contact me there, feel free.

[1] https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:57:25 PM CEST Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:

> > What do you use the tarball for ?
> >
> > Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?
> >
> > maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.
>
> Just in case, here's the maven's "dist.tar.gz" artifact:
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/org/postgresql/postgresql/9.4.1209/

The 'dist.tar.gz' file is full of jar files, which is probably not what I look
for.  But I'm not sure.

If you wanted to build the pgdjbc from source, what distribution tarball would
you use?  The one from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html is not
correect, but that is what we used before...

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
OK, I'm somewhat confused what was the point of https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/601 and https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/578 if you are still building from source ?

As to tarballs: can you just pull a tarball from github and build from there ?

On 19 July 2016 at 09:50, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:57:25 PM CEST Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:

> > What do you use the tarball for ?
> >
> > Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?
> >
> > maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.
>
> Just in case, here's the maven's "dist.tar.gz" artifact:
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/org/postgresql/postgresql/9.4.1209/

The 'dist.tar.gz' file is full of jar files, which is probably not what I look
for.  But I'm not sure.

If you wanted to build the pgdjbc from source, what distribution tarball would
you use?  The one from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html is not
correect, but that is what we used before...

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:14:45 AM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> OK, I'm somewhat confused what was the point of
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/601 and
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/578 if you are still building from
> source ?

That is just CI -- we want to know that the pgjdbc's git-HEAD is compliant
with downstream packaging, so once you'll submit new release it will be OK.

And also some people might decide to run against those snapshot too .. but we
don't want to distribute git snapshots in stable Fedora distributions.

That means, we still need to have source tarball provided by you.

> As to tarballs: can you just pull a tarball from github and build from
> there ?

We can, yes.  At least I don't see any problem ATM.  That tarball has yet
another structure ... but it is just about fixing build script.

I don't want to complicate things, that tarball is fine -- would it be
possible to fix https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html so from 1209
release the link points to github tarball?  Then we could be sure that all
distros are building against the same source.

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
[...]

Дата:
What do you use the tarball for ?

Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?

maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.

Vladimir

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
Hi Dave,

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:55:14 AM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> What do you use the tarball for ?

we use tarballs to generate SRPMs (source RPM) and then we build binary RPMs
from it.

> Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?
>
> maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.

I concur here, we don't wan't binary stuff in distribution tarball.

> Previously I have used git archive to produce the tar files.

Ah, I'm probably just puzzled what I should downlad?  That archive comming from
[1] is not git archive result.  Do we have link?  We historically go to [1] for
your releases and it always worked for us ... (before 1202 release or something
like that).

> Your input would be valuable here.

The problem is that I don't have a mandate to 'git archive' myself -- that
wouldn't be fair because people doesn't have to necessarily trust me that I'm
not cheating.  So -- Fedora's packages are *just* 'upstream release tarball' +
'set of transparent donwstream patches'.  It is proven that (or at least anybody
can prove that) I can't do anything wrong and it is safe to use Fedora package.

I have some suggestions in case we can somehow discuss the tarball format:

  * generate stable and predictable prefix within tarball, so everything goes
    e.g. into 'pgsql-VERSION-RELEASE/' when tarball is named
    pgsql-VERSION-RELEASE.tar.gz

  * provide script so we can generate the SNAPSHOT version the same way, and I
    can than fix the CI in git, this way we can sync Fedora downstream package
    with the RPM package tracked in github.com/pgjdbc.

  * keep the format of that tarball unchanged among all future releases :)

It is somehow complicated to discuss here, I'm 'praiskup' on freenode irc, so if
you wanted to contact me there, feel free.

[1] https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:57:25 PM CEST Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:

> > What do you use the tarball for ?
> >
> > Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?
> >
> > maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.
>
> Just in case, here's the maven's "dist.tar.gz" artifact:
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/org/postgresql/postgresql/9.4.1209/

The 'dist.tar.gz' file is full of jar files, which is probably not what I look
for.  But I'm not sure.

If you wanted to build the pgdjbc from source, what distribution tarball would
you use?  The one from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html is not
correect, but that is what we used before...

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
OK, I'm somewhat confused what was the point of https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/601 and https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/578 if you are still building from source ?

As to tarballs: can you just pull a tarball from github and build from there ?

On 19 July 2016 at 09:50, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:57:25 PM CEST Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:

> > What do you use the tarball for ?
> >
> > Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?
> >
> > maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.
>
> Just in case, here's the maven's "dist.tar.gz" artifact:
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/org/postgresql/postgresql/9.4.1209/

The 'dist.tar.gz' file is full of jar files, which is probably not what I look
for.  But I'm not sure.

If you wanted to build the pgdjbc from source, what distribution tarball would
you use?  The one from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html is not
correect, but that is what we used before...

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:14:45 AM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> OK, I'm somewhat confused what was the point of
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/601 and
> https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/578 if you are still building from
> source ?

That is just CI -- we want to know that the pgjdbc's git-HEAD is compliant
with downstream packaging, so once you'll submit new release it will be OK.

And also some people might decide to run against those snapshot too .. but we
don't want to distribute git snapshots in stable Fedora distributions.

That means, we still need to have source tarball provided by you.

> As to tarballs: can you just pull a tarball from github and build from
> there ?

We can, yes.  At least I don't see any problem ATM.  That tarball has yet
another structure ... but it is just about fixing build script.

I don't want to complicate things, that tarball is fine -- would it be
possible to fix https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html so from 1209
release the link points to github tarball?  Then we could be sure that all
distros are building against the same source.

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:44:56 PM CEST Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> I don't want to complicate things, that tarball is fine -- would it be
> possible to fix https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html so from 1209 release
> the link points to github tarball?  Then we could be sure that all distros are
> building against the same source.

I am unsure that my CZEnglish is not too confusing, IOW would it be possible
to edit download page so it points to:
    https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
.. instead of:
    https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz
?

Btw. there is still one issue with that tarball -> the url link, filename and
it's contents do not match:

    $ wget https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
    Saving to: ‘REL9.4.1209.tar.gz’
    $ tar tf REL9.* | head -1
    pgjdbc-REL9.4.1209/

Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:

On 22 July 2016 at 08:43, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:44:56 PM CEST Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> I don't want to complicate things, that tarball is fine -- would it be
> possible to fix https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html so from 1209 release
> the link points to github tarball?  Then we could be sure that all distros are
> building against the same source.

I am unsure that my CZEnglish is not too confusing, IOW would it be possible
to edit download page so it points to:
    https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
.. instead of:
    https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz
?

I'd prefer not to. I'd like to control the artifacts

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Dave Cramer

On 22 July 2016 at 08:43, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:44:56 PM CEST Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> I don't want to complicate things, that tarball is fine -- would it be
> possible to fix https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html so from 1209 release
> the link points to github tarball?  Then we could be sure that all distros are
> building against the same source.

I am unsure that my CZEnglish is not too confusing, IOW would it be possible
to edit download page so it points to:
    https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
.. instead of:
    https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz
?

I'd prefer not to. I'd like to control the artifacts

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 8:13:58 PM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> On 22 July 2016 at 08:43, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
> > IOW would it be possible to edit download page so it points to:
> >     https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
> > .. instead of:
> >     https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz
> > ?
>
> I'd prefer not to. I'd like to control the artifacts

I'm confused. :)  What is then the preferred way to build from source?  To use
the link from 'download.html' page, or to use github's tarballs?  Those are
aimed for different purposes?

Thanks, Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Pavel Raiskup
Дата:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 8:13:58 PM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> On 22 July 2016 at 08:43, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
> > IOW would it be possible to edit download page so it points to:
> >     https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
> > .. instead of:
> >     https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz
> > ?
>
> I'd prefer not to. I'd like to control the artifacts

I'm confused. :)  What is then the preferred way to build from source?  To use
the link from 'download.html' page, or to use github's tarballs?  Those are
aimed for different purposes?

Thanks, Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Lachezar Dobrev
Дата:
  We've been using Glassfish 3 and 4 with PostgreSQL with JPA (Eclipse-Link or Hibernate) successfully for years.
  When declaring the data source we declare a JDBC Connection Pool, and specify org.postgresql.ds.PGConnectionPoolDataSource as the Datasource Classname.
  The persistence.xml specifies transaction-type="JTA" and has <jta-data-source> with some well-known name (that you use to declare the JDBC Resource), no properties commonly.

  Also check if your session EJBs are annotated with the @TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.CONTAINER) and have proper @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED) on the methods that perform changes in the data base. Defaults or not, I've learned not to assume the defaults…

  It will not hurt if you show code, although I can understand the NDA/Customer/Corporate code limitations.

On Friday, July 22, 2016 8:13:58 PM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> On 22 July 2016 at 08:43, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
> > IOW would it be possible to edit download page so it points to:
> >     https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
> > .. instead of:
> >     https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz
> > ?
>
> I'd prefer not to. I'd like to control the artifacts

I'm confused. :)  What is then the preferred way to build from source?  To use
the link from 'download.html' page, or to use github's tarballs?  Those are
aimed for different purposes?

Thanks, Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Lachezar Dobrev
Дата:
  Apologies for posting in the wrong thread.
  Please ignore
​ my previous message in this thread​
.

> <snip>

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Lachezar Dobrev
Дата:
  We've been using Glassfish 3 and 4 with PostgreSQL with JPA (Eclipse-Link or Hibernate) successfully for years.
  When declaring the data source we declare a JDBC Connection Pool, and specify org.postgresql.ds.PGConnectionPoolDataSource as the Datasource Classname.
  The persistence.xml specifies transaction-type="JTA" and has <jta-data-source> with some well-known name (that you use to declare the JDBC Resource), no properties commonly.

  Also check if your session EJBs are annotated with the @TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.CONTAINER) and have proper @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED) on the methods that perform changes in the data base. Defaults or not, I've learned not to assume the defaults…

  It will not hurt if you show code, although I can understand the NDA/Customer/Corporate code limitations.

On Friday, July 22, 2016 8:13:58 PM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> On 22 July 2016 at 08:43, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> wrote:
> > IOW would it be possible to edit download page so it points to:
> >     https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/archive/REL9.4.1209.tar.gz
> > .. instead of:
> >     https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-jdbc-9.4.1209.src.tar.gz
> > ?
>
> I'd prefer not to. I'd like to control the artifacts

I'm confused. :)  What is then the preferred way to build from source?  To use
the link from 'download.html' page, or to use github's tarballs?  Those are
aimed for different purposes?

Thanks, Pavel

Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От
Lachezar Dobrev
Дата: