Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue

От Pavel Raiskup
Тема Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi Dave,

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:55:14 AM CEST Dave Cramer wrote:
> What do you use the tarball for ?

we use tarballs to generate SRPMs (source RPM) and then we build binary RPMs
from it.

> Vladimir and I are just discussing if anyone really uses this artifact ?
>
> maven release-artifacts will include jar files as well in it.

I concur here, we don't wan't binary stuff in distribution tarball.

> Previously I have used git archive to produce the tar files.

Ah, I'm probably just puzzled what I should downlad?  That archive comming from
[1] is not git archive result.  Do we have link?  We historically go to [1] for
your releases and it always worked for us ... (before 1202 release or something
like that).

> Your input would be valuable here.

The problem is that I don't have a mandate to 'git archive' myself -- that
wouldn't be fair because people doesn't have to necessarily trust me that I'm
not cheating.  So -- Fedora's packages are *just* 'upstream release tarball' +
'set of transparent donwstream patches'.  It is proven that (or at least anybody
can prove that) I can't do anything wrong and it is safe to use Fedora package.

I have some suggestions in case we can somehow discuss the tarball format:

  * generate stable and predictable prefix within tarball, so everything goes
    e.g. into 'pgsql-VERSION-RELEASE/' when tarball is named
    pgsql-VERSION-RELEASE.tar.gz

  * provide script so we can generate the SNAPSHOT version the same way, and I
    can than fix the CI in git, this way we can sync Fedora downstream package
    with the RPM package tracked in github.com/pgjdbc.

  * keep the format of that tarball unchanged among all future releases :)

It is somehow complicated to discuss here, I'm 'praiskup' on freenode irc, so if
you wanted to contact me there, feel free.

[1] https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

Pavel

Сообщение: Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue
Сообщение: Re: postgresql-jdbc 9.4-1209 src tarball issue