Обсуждение: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
"emergency.shower@gmail.com"
Дата:
Hi,

after the upgrade the latest PortgreSQL 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver, we
discovered a severe performance degradation when connecting to 8.4,
9.0, 9.1, and 9.2 servers.  In a test application the
DriverManager#getConnection(String, String, String) call constantly
took > 4500 ms compared to < 20 ms with the previous 9.1-903 JDBC 4
driver. This makes the driver virtually unusable in production
environments.

Client: Windows 2008 R2, Windows 7
Server: PostgreSQL 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 on Linux 2.6

Regards,
Alex

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
emergency.shower@gmail.com wrote on 05.10.2012 21:27:
> after the upgrade the latest PortgreSQL 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver, we
> discovered a severe performance degradation when connecting to 8.4,
> 9.0, 9.1, and 9.2 servers.  In a test application the
> DriverManager#getConnection(String, String, String) call constantly
> took > 4500 ms compared to < 20 ms with the previous 9.1-903 JDBC 4
> driver. This makes the driver virtually unusable in production
> environments.
>
> Client: Windows 2008 R2, Windows 7
> Server: PostgreSQL 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 on Linux 2.6

I cannot confirm that.
I actually have the impression that it's faster (at least using "localhost", can't test a remote server right now).

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Kris Jurka

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012, emergency.shower@gmail.com wrote:

> after the upgrade the latest PortgreSQL 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver, we
> discovered a severe performance degradation when connecting to 8.4,
> 9.0, 9.1, and 9.2 servers.  In a test application the
> DriverManager#getConnection(String, String, String) call constantly
> took > 4500 ms compared to < 20 ms with the previous 9.1-903 JDBC 4
> driver. This makes the driver virtually unusable in production
> environments.

Can you show us the connection URL that you are using?  Are you using SSL?
It appears that some of the 9.2 changes may require a DNS lookup that they
didn't before and you might be getting a timeout there.  Any DNS issues on
your side?

Kris Jurka

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
It's actually pretty easy to compile in eclipse.

Load the project from source, then you have to remove all of the
concrete implementations that you don't need.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM, emergency.shower@gmail.com
<emergency.shower@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi  Dave,
>
>> Any chance you can run this in debug mode to find out exactly what is
>> taking so long ?
>
> I will try to dig deeper into the problem when I'm back in the office
> next week (the problem is not reproducible in my home network).
>
> Is there a chance or even a guide how to compile the driver within an
> IDE, preferably Eclipse?
>
> -Alex

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
"emergency.shower@gmail.com"
Дата:
Hi Kris,

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> Can you show us the connection URL that you are using?

Other as stated before, only connection URLs with IPv4 Addresses were
involved in our tests.

>  Are you using SSL?

No SSL.

> It appears that some of the 9.2 changes may require a DNS lookup that they
> didn't before and you might be getting a timeout there.  Any DNS issues on
> your side?

Actually there are two distinct problems:

 - a reverse lookup failure with a subdomain in the local network that
contains some of the test hosts, and

 - a reverse lookup failure with hosts that are located in our DMZ.

The first seems to be repairable to me, for the second I don't know.

-Alex

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
"emergency.shower@gmail.com"
Дата:
The problem comes from the getHostName() call in
org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(InetSocketAddress[],
String, String, Properties, Logger).

 doAuthentication(newStream, address.getHostName(), user, info, logger);

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Sérgio Saquetim
Дата:
I can confirm the problem, it's taking about 4000ms to get a Connection. I did a simple Java class to test that:

/*
 * JavaApplication1.java
 *
 * Criado em Oct 18, 2012, 12:40:56 AM
 *
 * Copyright(c) 2012 Sérgio Ernesto Diniz Saquetim. Todos os direitos reservados.
 */
package javaapplication1;

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.DriverManager;
import java.sql.PreparedStatement;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import java.sql.SQLException;

/**
 * [Insira a descrição da classe aqui]
 *
 * @author Sérgio Saquetim <sergiosaquetim@gmail.com>
 * @version 0.1
 * @since 0.1
 */
public class JavaApplication1 {

  /**
   * Função de entrada de execução do programa.
   *
   * @param args os argumentos da linha de comando
   */
  public static void main(String[] args) throws ClassNotFoundException, SQLException {
    Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");

    String url = "jdbc:postgresql://192.168.1.100/frames?user=postgres&password=postgres@mac";

    long time = System.currentTimeMillis();
    try (Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url)) {
      System.out.println("Elapsed Time: "+(System.currentTimeMillis()-time));
      try (PreparedStatement pst = conn.prepareStatement("SELECT version();")) {
        try (ResultSet rs = pst.executeQuery()) {
          while (rs.next()) {
            System.out.println(rs.getString(1));
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

The result using the : 9.2-1000 JDBC 4
run:
Elapsed Time: 5172
PostgreSQL 9.2.1 on x86_64-apple-darwin, compiled by i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc.
build5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00), 64-bit

Now using the 9.1-903 JDBC 4:
Elapsed Time: 50
PostgreSQL 9.2.1 on x86_64-apple-darwin, compiled by i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc.
build5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00), 64-bit

I'm getting the same results in my company what makes this Driver unusable in production. Is there any workaround? Will
Iget to much trouble if I use 9.1-903 JDBC 4 version driver with Postgres 9.2?

Thanks a lot!

Em sexta-feira, 5 de outubro de 2012 16h27min21s UTC-3, "emergency.shower@gmail.com"  escreveu:
> Hi,
>

> after the upgrade the latest PortgreSQL 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver, we
>
> discovered a severe performance degradation when connecting to 8.4,
>
> 9.0, 9.1, and 9.2 servers.  In a test application the
>
> DriverManager#getConnection(String, String, String) call constantly
>
> took > 4500 ms compared to < 20 ms with the previous 9.1-903 JDBC 4
>
> driver. This makes the driver virtually unusable in production
>
> environments.
>

> Client: Windows 2008 R2, Windows 7
>
> Server: PostgreSQL 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 on Linux 2.6
>

> Regards,
>
> Alex

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/18/2012 12:16 PM, Sérgio Saquetim wrote:
> I can confirm the problem, it's taking about 4000ms to get a Connection.

That sounds like a broken DNS or reverse DNS setup in your environment,
it's about right for your average DNS timeout.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Mikko Tiihonen
Дата:
I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch that I created.
I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was added
inJava7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.

I see following options:
1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is detected it will use the no-lookup method
2) wait 4 months until Oracle drops Java6 support (Java6 was supposed to be EOL already few months back) and use the
no-lookupvariant
3) let the code stay as is and let users fix their dns servers

-Mikko
On 10/18/2012 12:16 PM, Sérgio Saquetim wrote:
> I can confirm the problem, it's taking about 4000ms to get a Connection.

That sounds like a broken DNS or reverse DNS setup in your environment,
it's about right for your average DNS timeout.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Mikko Tiihonen
<Mikko.Tiihonen@nitorcreations.com> wrote:
> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch that I created.
> I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was
addedin Java7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.

> I see following options:
> 1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is detected it will use the no-lookup method
> 2) wait 4 months until Oracle drops Java6 support (Java6 was supposed to be EOL already few months back) and use the
no-lookupvariant
> 3) let the code stay as is and let users fix their dns servers
>
> -Mikko

Number 1 above is probably the best option. Even if Oracle EOL's Java6
we will still have to support it for a while. 3 is probably
indefensible.

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/18/2012 05:17 PM, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch that I created.
> I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was
addedin Java7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.

> I see following options:

0) Revert the JDBC failover patch or require a connection parameter to
enable it

> 1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is detected it will use the no-lookup method

Gah! no! Not only will this not work in most SecurityManager contexts,
but it's slow and horrid.

> 2) wait 4 months until Oracle drops Java6 support (Java6 was supposed to be EOL already few months back) and use the
no-lookupvariant

... then another two years or so until it's actually adopted. People
still use Java 1.4, and 1.5 remains very wide-spread. Sadly.

> 3) let the code stay as is and let users fix their dns servers

While sometimes reasonable, in this case it's also a performance
regression for functionality most will never need, so -1 to that.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> On 10/18/2012 05:17 PM, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
>>
>> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch that
>> I created.
>> I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do any
>> DNS lookups, but since that method was added in Java7 I had to revert to
>> getHostName() method which does.
>>
>> I see following options:
>

> 0) Revert the JDBC failover patch or require a connection parameter to
> enable it
>

>> 1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is detected it
>> will use the no-lookup method
>

> Gah! no! Not only will this not work in most SecurityManager contexts, but
> it's slow and horrid.

Surely there must be a way to detect that you are on Java7 without reflection ?

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/18/2012 08:43 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
>> On 10/18/2012 05:17 PM, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch that
>>> I created.
>>> I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do any
>>> DNS lookups, but since that method was added in Java7 I had to revert to
>>> getHostName() method which does.
>>>
>>> I see following options:
>>

>> 0) Revert the JDBC failover patch or require a connection parameter to
>> enable it
>>

>>> 1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is detected it
>>> will use the no-lookup method
>>

>> Gah! no! Not only will this not work in most SecurityManager contexts, but
>> it's slow and horrid.
>
> Surely there must be a way to detect that you are on Java7 without reflection ?

Detect, trivially, but if code that refers to a method that doesn't
exist in Java 7 is loaded it'll cause a link error from memory - so you
can't actually get to the point where you test the condition when
running in Java 6.

I'll write a toy test class to confirm that and check back.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
"emergency.shower@gmail.com"
Дата:
> 0) [...] require a connection parameter to enable it

+1 for this.

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Sérgio Saquetim
Дата:
Mikko,

Thanks for the support, adding a DNS to the server's IP address in my hosts file solved it, but I'm curious, since I
wasdirectly using my server's IP address in the connection string, there shouldn't be any DNS requests at all. What am
Imissing?

About your suggestions I agree with Dave Cramer, although using Java 7 it's not a problem for me. The best solution
wouldbe number 1.

Thanks again.

Em quinta-feira, 18 de outubro de 2012 06h17min30s UTC-3, Mikko Tiihonen  escreveu:
> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch that I created.
>
> I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was
addedin Java7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.

> I see following options:
>
> 1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is detected it will use the no-lookup method
>
> 2) wait 4 months until Oracle drops Java6 support (Java6 was supposed to be EOL already few months back) and use the
no-lookupvariant

> 3) let the code stay as is and let users fix their dns servers
>

> -Mikko

Дата:
I agree, +1 for require a connection parameter to enable it

Em quinta-feira, 18 de outubro de 2012 10h10min30s UTC-3, "emergency.shower@gmail.com"  escreveu:
> > 0) [...] require a connection parameter to enable it
>

> +1 for this.

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
"Tsunakawa, Takayuki"
> From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> > On 10/18/2012 05:17 PM, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
> >>
> >> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch
> >> that I created.
> >> I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do
> >> any DNS lookups, but since that method was added in Java7 I had to
> >> revert to
> >> getHostName() method which does.
> >>
> >> I see following options:
> >

> > 0) Revert the JDBC failover patch or require a connection parameter to
> > enable it
> >

> >> 1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is
> >> detected it will use the no-lookup method
> >

> > Gah! no! Not only will this not work in most SecurityManager contexts,
> > but it's slow and horrid.
>
> Surely there must be a way to detect that you are on Java7 without reflection ?

System.getProperty("java.version") will do.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/environment/sysprop.html

+1 to choice 1.

Regards

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:

> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch
> that I created. I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString()
> that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was added in
> Java7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.

Is there any functionality that we need that is provided by using
InetSocketAddress or is it just a convenient object to pass around host
and port together?  The simplest option to me seems to be reverting to
passing simple strings/ints around (possibly in some kind of our own
container).

Kris Jurka

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Mikko Tiihonen
Дата:
> > I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch
> > that I created. I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString()
> > that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was added in
> > Java7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.
> >

> Is there any functionality that we need that is provided by using
> InetSocketAddress or is it just a convenient object to pass around host
> and port together?  The simplest option to me seems to be reverting to
> passing simple strings/ints around (possibly in some kind of our own
> container).

It is just a convenient container. And it seems on older JVMs it cannot be used for such purposes.
I agree that we should just replace it with our own container that contains the host/port pair.

-Mikko

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/19/2012 02:36 PM, Mikko Tiihonen wrote:
>>> I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch
>>> that I created. I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString()
>>> that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was added in
>>> Java7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.
>>>

>> Is there any functionality that we need that is provided by using
>> InetSocketAddress or is it just a convenient object to pass around host
>> and port together?  The simplest option to me seems to be reverting to
>> passing simple strings/ints around (possibly in some kind of our own
>> container).
>
> It is just a convenient container. And it seems on older JVMs it cannot be used for such purposes.
> I agree that we should just replace it with our own container that contains the host/port pair.

If that's all you're using it for, then that's the simplest and best
choice. +1 from me on that.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Scott Harrington
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Craig Ringer wrote:

>>> Is there any functionality that we need that is provided by using
>>> InetSocketAddress or is it just a convenient object to pass around host
>>> and port together?  The simplest option to me seems to be reverting to
>>> passing simple strings/ints around (possibly in some kind of our own
>>> container).
>>
>> It is just a convenient container. And it seems on older JVMs it cannot be
>> used for such purposes.
>> I agree that we should just replace it with our own container that contains
>> the host/port pair.
>
> If that's all you're using it for, then that's the simplest and best choice.
> +1 from me on that.

Could the new container contain the localAddress (null for "any") as well
as the target host and port? I'm using a simple patch that allows binding
my JDBC connections to specific localAddress (unit tests & docs still
to-do), and I can envision scenarios where a client with multiple NICs
might need to initiate connections to failover hostA from localAddress X
and to failover hostB from localAddress Y, in environments where iptables
SNAT may not be an option.

By creating an appropriate factory class for this laddr/caddr/cport
container we could select the best implementation (Java7-only or
pre-Java7) in a static initializer and avoid having to resort to
reflection to avoid the unwanted DNS calls as discussed earlier in this
thread. Want me to take a stab at this this weekend? I'm not git-skilled
yet so I'll just have to email a patch.

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/23/2012 02:41 AM, Віталій Тимчишин wrote:
> AFAIR class is not loaded until after it is accessed (very same line),
> so something like this should work:
> if (isJava7()) {
>  return new Java7Resolver();
> } else {
>  return new Java6Resolver();
> }

Good point - that should work just fine.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Scott Harrington
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Scott Harrington wrote:

>>> It is just a convenient container. And it seems on older JVMs it cannot be
>>> used for such purposes.
>>> I agree that we should just replace it with our own container that
>>> contains the host/port pair.
>>
>> If that's all you're using it for, then that's the simplest and best
>> choice. +1 from me on that.
>
> Could the new container contain the localAddress (null for "any") as well as
> the target host and port? I'm using a simple patch that allows binding my
> JDBC connections to specific localAddress (unit tests & docs still to-do),
> and I can envision scenarios where a client with multiple NICs might need to
> initiate connections to failover hostA from localAddress X and to failover
> hostB from localAddress Y, in environments where iptables SNAT may not be an
> option.
>
> By creating an appropriate factory class for this laddr/caddr/cport container
> we could select the best implementation (Java7-only or pre-Java7) in a static
> initializer and avoid having to resort to reflection to avoid the unwanted
> DNS calls as discussed earlier in this thread. Want me to take a stab at this
> this weekend? I'm not git-skilled yet so I'll just have to email a patch.

Hi everyone, please look over this patch.

By introducing a simple org.postgresql.util.HostSpec to contain the
orignal caller-provided host and port, we never even need to call
InetSocketAddress.getHostName() or getHostString().

If this is accepted, then I will resubmit the localAddress patch based on
this; will be quite simple to put localAddress in HostSpec and then it's
available where needed at the time of Socket.connect in PGStream without
having to touch a dozen other constructor signatures to get it there.

Вложения

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Kris Jurka
Дата:
On 10/22/2012 7:56 PM, Scott Harrington wrote:
> Hi everyone, please look over this patch.
>
> By introducing a simple org.postgresql.util.HostSpec to contain the
> orignal caller-provided host and port, we never even need to call
> InetSocketAddress.getHostName() or getHostString().

I think this is exactly what we want.  Attached is a slightly modified
version that includes fixes to the MakeSSL classes.

Kris Jurka

Вложения

Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

От
Scott Harrington
Дата:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On 10/22/2012 7:56 PM, Scott Harrington wrote:
>> Hi everyone, please look over this patch.
>>
>> By introducing a simple org.postgresql.util.HostSpec to contain the
>> orignal caller-provided host and port, we never even need to call
>> InetSocketAddress.getHostName() or getHostString().
>
> I think this is exactly what we want.  Attached is a slightly modified
> version that includes fixes to the MakeSSL classes.

Thanks Kris, not sure how I missed those.