Обсуждение: New jdbc website

New jdbc website

От
Kris Jurka
Дата:
I've been working on a new version of the jdbc website to replace the
current aging version.  Before going live with it, I wanted to get your
feedback on it.

http://www.ejurka.com/pgsql/newsite/index.html

The site is built with Apache Forrest and the plan is to put the site
"source" into the cvs repository as a different module, so that
people can contribute to that as well.

Kris Jurka

Re: New jdbc website

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Kris,

At first glance the site looks great, this is considerably better than
what we have now.

One thing; I'm not familiar with apache forrest, but if it requires java
or whatever we may have to talk to Marc about getting the libraries, etc
put on the server.

If we run into problems, ie getting either tomcat, or jetty we may have
to consider other servers.

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336

Re: New jdbc website

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Kris,
>
> At first glance the site looks great, this is considerably better than
> what we have now.
>
> One thing; I'm not familiar with apache forrest, but if it requires java
> or whatever we may have to talk to Marc about getting the libraries, etc
> put on the server.
>
> If we run into problems, ie getting either tomcat, or jetty we may have
> to consider other servers.

have tomcat3/4 and 5 alerady installed ... and jboss ... thought I had
jetty also, but it doesn't look like it, but shouldn't any more of an
issue to install then the others ...

----

Re: New jdbc website

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 09/10/2004 15:19 Dave Cramer wrote:
> Kris,
>
> At first glance the site looks great, this is considerably better than
> what we have now.

+1

> One thing; I'm not familiar with apache forrest, but if it requires java
> or whatever we may have to talk to Marc about getting the libraries, etc
> put on the server.
>
> If we run into problems, ie getting either tomcat, or jetty we may have
> to consider other servers.

I had a look at forrest today. It looks very good and can generate either
dynamic or static web sites.

--
Paul Thomas
+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

Re: New jdbc website

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Marc,

We won't need jetty, if you have tomcat, that should be enough.

Thanks,

Dave

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336

Re: New jdbc website

От
Kris Jurka

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Dave Cramer wrote:

> One thing; I'm not familiar with apache forrest, but if it requires java
> or whatever we may have to talk to Marc about getting the libraries, etc
> put on the server.

Yes, Forrest is a Java project, but the site is completely static.
The entire site is generated at once, so there is no need for Java on
the server.

Kris Jurka

Re: New jdbc website

От
"Serguei Mokhov"
> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:46:18 -0500 (EST)
> From: Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com>
> Subject: Re: New jdbc website

> > One thing; I'm not familiar with apache forrest, but if it requires java
> > or whatever we may have to talk to Marc about getting the libraries, etc
> > put on the server.
>
> Yes, Forrest is a Java project, but the site is completely static.
> The entire site is generated at once, so there is no need for Java on
> the server.

What about adding a possibily to translate the web site
at some point in time? Does Forrest allow that? Say generate the translated
strings off the pages, and the create several static versions, one per language?

For example, the pgAdmin folks made the web site easily translatable by
combining PHP and gettext. Can something similar be done here?

> Kris Jurka

-s

Re: New jdbc website

От
Kris Jurka

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Serguei Mokhov wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:46:18 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com>
> > Subject: Re: New jdbc website
>
> > > One thing; I'm not familiar with apache forrest, but if it requires java
> > > or whatever we may have to talk to Marc about getting the libraries, etc
> > > put on the server.
> >
> > Yes, Forrest is a Java project, but the site is completely static.
> > The entire site is generated at once, so there is no need for Java on
> > the server.
>
> What about adding a possibily to translate the web site at some point in
> time? Does Forrest allow that? Say generate the translated strings off
> the pages, and the create several static versions, one per language?

It certainly seems possible, but it's not a built-in feature.  I'm also a
little skeptical of the community stepping up to provide and maintain
these translations.  I also don't know if there's really a demand for
this.

I'm personally not planning on working on this.  It would be nice, but
being from the US I just don't care.

Kris Jurka