Обсуждение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Respect TEMP_CONFIG when running contrib regression tests.

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Respect TEMP_CONFIG when running contrib regression tests.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> Sure.  Saving three lines of Makefile duplication is hardly a
>> world-shattering event, so I thought there might be some other
>> purpose.  But I'm not against saving three lines of duplication
>> either, if it won't break anything.
> The point is that we should do this for several other test sets as well as
> contrib - isolation tests, PL tests and ecpg tests.

OK, I was wondering about that.  I can try to write a patch, or
someone else can, but if you already understand what needs to be done,
perhaps you should just go ahead.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Respect TEMP_CONFIG when running contrib regression tests.

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 02/26/2016 10:59 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> Sure.  Saving three lines of Makefile duplication is hardly a
>>> world-shattering event, so I thought there might be some other
>>> purpose.  But I'm not against saving three lines of duplication
>>> either, if it won't break anything.
>> The point is that we should do this for several other test sets as well as
>> contrib - isolation tests, PL tests and ecpg tests.
> OK, I was wondering about that.  I can try to write a patch, or
> someone else can, but if you already understand what needs to be done,
> perhaps you should just go ahead.

What I had in mind was something like the attached.

In testing this seems to do the right thing, and the nice part is that
it will be picked up by the buildfarm in the one case that's relevant,
namely the ecpg tests.

The only fly in the ointment is that there are a few places that set
--temp-config explicitly:

    ./contrib/test_decoding/Makefile:        --temp-config
    $(top_srcdir)/contrib/test_decoding/logical.conf \
    ./contrib/test_decoding/Makefile:        --temp-config
    $(top_srcdir)/contrib/test_decoding/logical.conf \
    ./src/test/modules/commit_ts/Makefile:REGRESS_OPTS =
    --temp-config=$(top_srcdir)/src/test/modules/commit_ts/commit_ts.conf
    ./src/test/modules/test_rls_hooks/Makefile:REGRESS_OPTS =
    --temp-config=$(top_srcdir)/src/test/modules/test_rls_hooks/rls_hooks.conf

Perhaps what we need to do is modify pg_regress.c slightly to allow more
than one --temp-config argument. But that could be done later.

cheers

andrew

Вложения

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Respect TEMP_CONFIG when running contrib regression tests.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> What I had in mind was something like the attached.
>
> In testing this seems to do the right thing, and the nice part is that it
> will be picked up by the buildfarm in the one case that's relevant, namely
> the ecpg tests.
>
> The only fly in the ointment is that there are a few places that set
> --temp-config explicitly:
>
>    ./contrib/test_decoding/Makefile:        --temp-config
>    $(top_srcdir)/contrib/test_decoding/logical.conf \
>    ./contrib/test_decoding/Makefile:        --temp-config
>    $(top_srcdir)/contrib/test_decoding/logical.conf \
>    ./src/test/modules/commit_ts/Makefile:REGRESS_OPTS =
>    --temp-config=$(top_srcdir)/src/test/modules/commit_ts/commit_ts.conf
>    ./src/test/modules/test_rls_hooks/Makefile:REGRESS_OPTS =
>
> --temp-config=$(top_srcdir)/src/test/modules/test_rls_hooks/rls_hooks.conf
>
> Perhaps what we need to do is modify pg_regress.c slightly to allow more
> than one --temp-config argument. But that could be done later.

Well, I'm pretty interested in using --temp-config for parallelism
testing; I want to be able to run the whole regression test suite with
a given --temp-config.  I'm in agreement with this change but if it
doesn't play well with that need, I suppose I'll be writing that
pg_regress.c patch sooner rather than later.

--

On 02/27/2016 09:25 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> What I had in mind was something like the attached.
>>
>> In testing this seems to do the right thing, and the nice part is that it
>> will be picked up by the buildfarm in the one case that's relevant, namely
>> the ecpg tests.
>>
>> The only fly in the ointment is that there are a few places that set
>> --temp-config explicitly:
>>
>>     ./contrib/test_decoding/Makefile:        --temp-config
>>     $(top_srcdir)/contrib/test_decoding/logical.conf \
>>     ./contrib/test_decoding/Makefile:        --temp-config
>>     $(top_srcdir)/contrib/test_decoding/logical.conf \
>>     ./src/test/modules/commit_ts/Makefile:REGRESS_OPTS =
>>     --temp-config=$(top_srcdir)/src/test/modules/commit_ts/commit_ts.conf
>>     ./src/test/modules/test_rls_hooks/Makefile:REGRESS_OPTS =
>>
>> --temp-config=$(top_srcdir)/src/test/modules/test_rls_hooks/rls_hooks.conf
>>
>> Perhaps what we need to do is modify pg_regress.c slightly to allow more
>> than one --temp-config argument. But that could be done later.
> Well, I'm pretty interested in using --temp-config for parallelism
> testing; I want to be able to run the whole regression test suite with
> a given --temp-config.  I'm in agreement with this change but if it
> doesn't play well with that need, I suppose I'll be writing that
> pg_regress.c patch sooner rather than later.

"doesn't meet your need" is probably a better way of putting it. The
facility's use has grown beyond what I originally envisaged, so I think
we will need that patch.

Would you like me to apply what I have?

cheers

andrew

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Respect TEMP_CONFIG when running contrib regression tests.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> "doesn't meet your need" is probably a better way of putting it. The
> facility's use has grown beyond what I originally envisaged, so I think we
> will need that patch.
>
> Would you like me to apply what I have?

Go for it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Respect TEMP_CONFIG when running contrib regression tests.

От
John Gorman

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Perhaps what we need to do is modify pg_regress.c slightly to allow more
> than one --temp-config argument. But that could be done later.

Well, I'm pretty interested in using --temp-config for parallelism
testing; I want to be able to run the whole regression test suite with
a given --temp-config.  I'm in agreement with this change but if it
doesn't play well with that need, I suppose I'll be writing that
pg_regress.c patch sooner rather than later.

Here is a patch to allow pg_regress to include several --temp-config files.

Вложения

On 02/27/2016 01:24 PM, John Gorman wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com
> <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Andrew Dunstan
>     <andrew@dunslane.net <mailto:andrew@dunslane.net>> wrote:
>
>     > Perhaps what we need to do is modify pg_regress.c slightly to
>     allow more
>     > than one --temp-config argument. But that could be done later.
>
>     Well, I'm pretty interested in using --temp-config for parallelism
>     testing; I want to be able to run the whole regression test suite with
>     a given --temp-config.  I'm in agreement with this change but if it
>     doesn't play well with that need, I suppose I'll be writing that
>     pg_regress.c patch sooner rather than later.
>

> Here is a patch to allow pg_regress to include several --temp-config
> files.

Thanks, wonderfully small patch. Applied.

cheers

andrew