Обсуждение: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

От
Jeevan Chalke
Дата:
Hi,

I have observed that following sequence is causing server crash.

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv AS
  SELECT * FROM pg_class
  WITH NO DATA;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_refresh_mv()
RETURNS int
AS $$
BEGIN
 REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv;
 return 1;
END; $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

SELECT test_refresh_mv();

I had a quick look over the crash and it is hitting following Assert in spi.c:

                else if (IsA(stmt, RefreshMatViewStmt))
                {
                    Assert(strncmp(completionTag,
                                   "REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ", 23) == 0);
                    _SPI_current->processed = strtoul(completionTag + 23,
                                                      NULL, 10);
                }

It seems like we are missing expected value for completionTag in ExecRefreshMatView()

Thanks

--
Jeevan B Chalke
Senior Software Engineer, R&D

Phone: +91 20 30589500

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.

Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2013-04-22 18:35:04 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have observed that following sequence is causing server crash.
>
> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv AS
>   SELECT * FROM pg_class
>   WITH NO DATA;
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_refresh_mv()
> RETURNS int
> AS $$
> BEGIN
>  REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv;
>  return 1;
> END; $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
> SELECT test_refresh_mv();
>

> I had a quick look over the crash and it is hitting following Assert in
> spi.c:
>
>                 else if (IsA(stmt, RefreshMatViewStmt))
>                 {
>                     Assert(strncmp(completionTag,
>                                    "REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ", 23) == 0);
>                     _SPI_current->processed = strtoul(completionTag + 23,
>                                                       NULL, 10);
>                 }
>
> It seems like we are missing expected value for completionTag in
> ExecRefreshMatView()

Possibly independent from this issue, but where did that 23 come from?
ISTM we're strtoul()ing "EW somenumber" here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

On 2013-04-22 18:35:04 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have observed that following sequence is causing server crash.
>
> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv AS
>   SELECT * FROM pg_class
>   WITH NO DATA;
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_refresh_mv()
> RETURNS int
> AS $$
> BEGIN
>  REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv;
>  return 1;
> END; $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
> SELECT test_refresh_mv();
>

> I had a quick look over the crash and it is hitting following Assert in
> spi.c:
>
>                 else if (IsA(stmt, RefreshMatViewStmt))
>                 {
>                     Assert(strncmp(completionTag,
>                                    "REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ", 23) == 0);
>                     _SPI_current->processed = strtoul(completionTag + 23,
>                                                       NULL, 10);
>                 }
>
> It seems like we are missing expected value for completionTag in
> ExecRefreshMatView()

Possibly independent from this issue, but where did that 23 come from?

23 is also bogus here.
It should be 26 i.e. length of "REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW "

BTW, attached is the patch which works well for me, but need details review.

Thanks

 Andres Freund                     http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

[...]

Вложения

Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

От
Jeevan Chalke
Дата:
Hi Tom,

Since we are close to release, we should not have crashes like this.

Please have a look. My patch may not be correct as I haven't looked closely.

Thanks

On 2013-04-22 18:35:04 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
> [...]

Phone: +91 20 30589500

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.

Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

Дата:
Hi,

On 2013-04-23 17:48:49 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Since we are close to release, we should not have crashes like this.
>
> Please have a look. My patch may not be correct as I haven't looked closely.

Isn't that Kevin's departement?

Andres

Services

Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-04-23 17:48:49 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Since we are close to release, we should not have crashes like
>> this.
>>
>> Please have a look. My patch may not be correct as I haven't
>> looked closely.
>
> Isn't that Kevin's departement?

I'll gladly pick this up.  Tom had moved some code around and
dropped a couple comments that made it sound like he was still
working on it, so I was trying to stay out of his way; but if I've
misinterpreted that, I can jump in here.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Jeevan Chalke
<jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Since we are close to release, we should not have crashes like this.

huh? we are not even in beta yet....

merlin

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Jeevan Chalke
<jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Since we are close to release, we should not have crashes like this.

huh? we are not even in beta yet....

I mean, beta release.

BTW, as per Bruce's mail "we are planning to package 9.3
beta1 on April 29, with a release on May 2", we are close enough.

Thanks

merlin

--
[...]

Дата:
On 2013-04-23 19:33:24 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Jeevan Chalke
> > <jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Tom,
> > >
> > > Since we are close to release, we should not have crashes like this.
> >
> > huh? we are not even in beta yet....
> >

> I mean, beta release.
>
> BTW, as per Bruce's mail "we are planning to package 9.3
> beta1 on *April 29*, with a release on May 2", we are close enough.

The 2nd May date is for the release of packaged beta, not overall
release unless I missed something major like months of testing ;)

Andres Freund

Services

Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Jeevan Chalke <jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 2013-04-22 18:35:04 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:

>>> I have observed that following sequence is causing server crash.
>>>
>>> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv AS
>>>   SELECT * FROM pg_class
>>>   WITH NO DATA;
>>>
>>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_refresh_mv()
>>> RETURNS int
>>> AS $$
>>> BEGIN
>>>  REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv;
>>>  return 1;
>>> END; $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>>>
>>> SELECT test_refresh_mv();
>>>

>>> I had a quick look over the crash and it is hitting following Assert in
>>> spi.c:
>>>
>>>                 else if (IsA(stmt, RefreshMatViewStmt))
>>>                 {
>>>                     Assert(strncmp(completionTag,
>>>                                    "REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ", 23) == 0);
>>>                     _SPI_current->processed = strtoul(completionTag + 23,
>>>                                                       NULL, 10);
>>>                 }
>>>
>>> It seems like we are missing expected value for completionTag in
>>> ExecRefreshMatView()

>> Possibly independent from this issue, but where did that 23 come from?

When the consensus developed to change the syntax from LOAD
MATERIALIZED VIEW I failed to noticed the length here when making
the changes for that.

> BTW, attached is the patch which works well for me, but need details review.

I suggest that we just rip out this section of code.  Trying to
provide a number here is probably all wrong, anyway.  As the
features evolve, there may not be a readily accessible rowcount for
this command in all cases.

Any objections to the attached to fix this issue?

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Вложения

Re: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command in PL block hitting Assert

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
AndresFreund <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:andres@2ndquadrant.com"
.8ex;border-left:1px#ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class="im">On 2013-04-23 19:33:24 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:<br
/>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Merlin Moncure <<a
7:18AM, Jeevan Chalke<br /> > > <<a
href="mailto:jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com">jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com</a>>wrote:<br /> > > > Hi
Tom,<br/> > > ><br /> > > > Since we are close to release, we should not have crashes like this.<br
29*,with a release on May 2", we are close enough.<br /><br /> The 2nd May date is for the release of packaged beta,
9.2.0was released at the beginning of September, so there would be at least 4 months to test and improve 9.3 during

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
Jeevan Chalke <jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 2013-04-22 18:35:04 +0530, Jeevan Chalke wrote:

>>> I have observed that following sequence is causing server crash.
>>>
>>> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv AS
>>>   SELECT * FROM pg_class
>>>   WITH NO DATA;
>>>
>>> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_refresh_mv()
>>> RETURNS int
>>> AS $$
>>> BEGIN
>>>  REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW temp_class_mv;
>>>  return 1;
>>> END; $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>>>
>>> SELECT test_refresh_mv();
>>>

>>> I had a quick look over the crash and it is hitting following Assert in
>>> spi.c:
>>>
>>>                 else if (IsA(stmt, RefreshMatViewStmt))
>>>                 {
>>>                     Assert(strncmp(completionTag,
>>>                                    "REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ", 23) == 0);
>>>                     _SPI_current->processed = strtoul(completionTag + 23,
>>>                                                       NULL, 10);
>>>                 }
>>>
>>> It seems like we are missing expected value for completionTag in
>>> ExecRefreshMatView()

>> Possibly independent from this issue, but where did that 23 come from?

When the consensus developed to change the syntax from LOAD
MATERIALIZED VIEW I failed to noticed the length here when making
the changes for that.

> BTW, attached is the patch which works well for me, but need details review.

I suggest that we just rip out this section of code.  Trying to
provide a number here is probably all wrong, anyway.  As the
features evolve, there may not be a readily accessible rowcount for
this command in all cases.

OK.

Any objections to the attached to fix this issue?

Nope. Fine with me.

Thanks

--
Kevin Grittner
[...]

Дата:
Jeevan Chalke <jeevan.chalke@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:

>> Any objections to the attached to fix this issue?

> Nope. Fine with me.

Pushed.  Thanks for the report!

--
Kevin Grittner