Обсуждение: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Hakan Kocaman
Дата:
Hi,

for whom it may concern:
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/mosbench/

They tested with 8.3.9, i wonder what results 9.0 would give.

Best regards and keep up the good work

Hakan

Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Hakan Kocaman <hkocam@googlemail.com> wrote:
> for whom it may concern:
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/mosbench/
> They tested with 8.3.9, i wonder what results 9.0 would give.
> Best regards and keep up the good work
> Hakan

Here's the most relevant bit to us:

--
The “Stock” line in Figures 7 and 8 shows that Post- greSQL has poor
scalability on the stock kernel. The first bottleneck we encountered,

I believe the "one of only 16 global mutexes" comment is referring to
NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS (there's also NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS, but that
wouldn't be relevant for row and table-level locks).  Increasing that
from 16 to 1024 wouldn't be free and it's not clear to me that they've
done anything to work around the downsides of such a change.  Perhaps
it's worthwhile anyway on a 48-core machine!  The use of lock-free
techniques seems quite interesting; unfortunately, I know next to
nothing about the topic and this paper doesn't provide much of an
introduction.  Anyone have a reference to a good introductory paper on
the topic?

The other sort of interesting thing that they mention is that
apparently I/O between shared buffers and the underlying data files
causes a lot of kernel contention due to inode locks induced by
lseek().  There's nothing much we can do about that within PG but
surely it would be nice if it got fixed upstream.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Oct 4, 2010, at 13:13 , Robert Haas wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Hakan Kocaman <hkocam@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> for whom it may concern:
>> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/mosbench/
>> They tested with 8.3.9, i wonder what results 9.0 would give.
>> Best regards and keep up the good work
>> Hakan
>
> Here's the most relevant bit to us:

<snip/>

> The use of lock-free
> techniques seems quite interesting; unfortunately, I know next to
> nothing about the topic and this paper doesn't provide much of an
> introduction.  Anyone have a reference to a good introductory paper on
> the topic?

The README in the postgres section of the git repo leads me to think the code that includes the fixes it there, if
someonewants to look into it (wrt to the Postgres lock manager changes). Didn't check the licensing.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2010, at 13:13 , Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Hakan Kocaman <hkocam@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> for whom it may concern:
>>> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/mosbench/
>>> They tested with 8.3.9, i wonder what results 9.0 would give.
>>> Best regards and keep up the good work
>>> Hakan
>>
>> Here's the most relevant bit to us:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> The use of lock-free
>> techniques seems quite interesting; unfortunately, I know next to
>> nothing about the topic and this paper doesn't provide much of an
>> introduction.  Anyone have a reference to a good introductory paper on
>> the topic?
>
> The README in the postgres section of the git repo leads me to think the code that includes the fixes it there, if
someonewants to look into it (wrt to the Postgres lock manager changes). Didn't check the licensing.

It does, but it's a bunch of x86-specific hacks that breaks various
important features and include comments like "use usual technique for
lock-free thingamabob".  So even if the licensing is/were suitable,
the code's not usable.  I think the paper is neat from the point of
view of providing us with some information about where the scalability
bottlenecks might be on hardware to which most of us don't have easy
access, but as far as the implementation goes I think we're on our
own.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Dan Ports
Дата:
I wasn't involved in this work but I do know a bit about it. Sadly, the
work on Postgres performance was cut down to under a page, complete
with the amazing offhand mention of "rewriting PostgreSQL's lock
manager". Here are a few more details...

The benchmarks in this paper are all about stressing the kernel. The
database is entirely in memory -- it's stored on tmpfs rather than on
disk, and it fits within shared_buffers. The workload consists of index
lookups and inserts on a single table. You can fill in all the caveats
about what conclusions can and cannot be drawn from this workload.

The big takeaway for -hackers, I think, is that lock manager
performance is going to be an issue for large multicore systems, and
the uncontended cases need to be lock-free. That includes cases where
multiple threads are trying to acquire the same lock in compatible
modes.

Currently even acquiring a shared heavyweight lock requires taking out
an exclusive LWLock on the partition, and acquiring shared LWLocks
requires acquiring a spinlock. All of this gets more expensive on
multicores, where even acquiring spinlocks can take longer than the
work being done in the critical section.

Their modifications to Postgres should be available in the code that
was published last night. As I understand it, the approach is to
implement LWLocks with atomic operations on a counter that contains
both the exclusive and shared lock count. Heavyweight locks do
something similar but with counters for each lock mode packed into a
word.

Note that their implementation of the lock manager omits some features
for simplicity, like deadlock detection, 2PC, and probably any
semblance of portability. (These are the sort of things we're allowed
to do in the research world! :-)

The other major bottleneck they ran into was a kernel one: reading from
the heap file requires a couple lseek operations, and Linux acquires a
mutex on the inode to do that. The proper place to fix this is
certainly in the kernel but it may be possible to work around in
Postgres.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/

Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Here's a video on lock-free hashing for example:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2139967204534450862#

I guess by "lock-free in the uncontended case" they mean the buffer
cache manager is lock-free unless you're actually contending on the
same buffer?

Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Dan Ports
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 01:13:36PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I believe the "one of only 16 global mutexes" comment is referring to
> NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS (there's also NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS, but that
> wouldn't be relevant for row and table-level locks).

Yes -- my understanding is that they hit two lock-related problems: 1) LWLock contention caused by acquiring the same
lockin compatible    modes (e.g. multiple shared locks) 2) false contention caused by acquiring two locks that hashed
tothe    same partition

and the first was the worse problem. The lock-free structures helpe
with both, so the impact of changing NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS was less
interesting.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/

Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Dan Ports
Дата:
On Oct 4, 2010, at 11:06, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:

> I guess by "lock-free in the uncontended case" they mean the buffer
> cache manager is lock-free unless you're actually contending on the
> same buffer?

That refers to being able to acquire non-conflicting row/table locks without needing an exclusive LWLock, and acquiring
sharedLWLocks without spinlocks if possible.

I think the buffer cache manager is the next bottleneck after the row/table lock manager. Seems like it would also be a
goodcandidate for similar techniques, but that's totally uninformed speculation on my part.

Dan

Re: [PERFORM] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Hakan Kocaman <hkocam@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> for whom it may concern:
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/mosbench/
> They tested with 8.3.9, i wonder what results 9.0 would give.
> Best regards and keep up the good work

They mention that these tests were run on the older 8xxx series
opterons which has much slower memory speed and HT speed as well.  I
wonder how much better the newer 6xxx series magny cours would have
done on it...  When I tested some simple benchmarks like pgbench, I
got scalability right to 48 processes on our 48 core magny cours
machines.

Still, lots of room for improvement in kernel and pgsql.