Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От Dan Ports
Тема Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Oct 4, 2010, at 11:06, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:

> I guess by "lock-free in the uncontended case" they mean the buffer
> cache manager is lock-free unless you're actually contending on the
> same buffer?

That refers to being able to acquire non-conflicting row/table locks without needing an exclusive LWLock, and acquiring
sharedLWLocks without spinlocks if possible.

I think the buffer cache manager is the next bottleneck after the row/table lock manager. Seems like it would also be a
goodcandidate for similar techniques, but that's totally uninformed speculation on my part.

Dan