Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2010, at 13:13 , Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Hakan Kocaman <hkocam@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> for whom it may concern:
>>> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/mosbench/
>>> They tested with 8.3.9, i wonder what results 9.0 would give.
>>> Best regards and keep up the good work
>>> Hakan
>>
>> Here's the most relevant bit to us:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> The use of lock-free
>> techniques seems quite interesting; unfortunately, I know next to
>> nothing about the topic and this paper doesn't provide much of an
>> introduction.  Anyone have a reference to a good introductory paper on
>> the topic?
>
> The README in the postgres section of the git repo leads me to think the code that includes the fixes it there, if
someonewants to look into it (wrt to the Postgres lock manager changes). Didn't check the licensing.

It does, but it's a bunch of x86-specific hacks that breaks various
important features and include comments like "use usual technique for
lock-free thingamabob".  So even if the licensing is/were suitable,
the code's not usable.  I think the paper is neat from the point of
view of providing us with some information about where the scalability
bottlenecks might be on hardware to which most of us don't have easy
access, but as far as the implementation goes I think we're on our
own.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

От: Michael Glaesemann
Сообщение: Re: MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance
От: Markus Wanner
Сообщение: Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)