Обсуждение: -HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux

-HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
libreadline5-dev.

The problem is that in that configuration ./configure seems to think
that there is a working strlcpy available due to the fact that it
includes -ledit in the relevant configure test which seems to provide
strlcpy :-(
This results in a compile time failure as can be seen on:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=Shad&dt=2006-11-29%2019:39:31

It looks like emu is the only box on the buildfarm building with
--with-libedit-preferred which might explain why we have not noticed
that earlier.

Stefan

Re: -HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux

Дата:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
> One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
> Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
> libreadline5-dev.

And what other ones?

> The problem is that in that configuration ./configure seems to think
> that there is a working strlcpy available due to the fact that it
> includes -ledit in the relevant configure test which seems to provide
> strlcpy :-(

Fixed.
        regards, tom lane

Re: -HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> > There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
> > One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
> > Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
> > libreadline5-dev.
>
> And what other ones?

Ubuntu Edgy and dapper 64bit do not suffer from this.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: -HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 12:18 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> > > There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
> > > One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
> > > Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
> > > libreadline5-dev.
> >
> > And what other ones?
>
> Ubuntu Edgy and dapper 64bit do not suffer from this.

Sorry I was cracked. Yes Ubuntu suffers from this (thanks to Stefan for
pointing out my flaw in testing).

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>> There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
>> One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
>> Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
>> libreadline5-dev.
>
> And what other ones?

I'm too tired to look into that in more detail today but it looks like
we are not picking up libedit(which should be in the base installation
there) on FreeBSD even with --with-libedit-preferred

config.log available at:

http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/config.log

Stefan

Re: -HEAD configure issue with libedit on linux

Дата:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> we are not picking up libedit(which should be in the base installation
> there) on FreeBSD even with --with-libedit-preferred
> config.log available at:
> http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/config.log

AFAICT, there may be something there called libedit, but it does not
provide readline() emulation:

configure:6270: checking for -ledit
configure:6297: gcc -o conftest -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-Wendif-labels-fno-strict-aliasing     conftest.c -ledit -lcrypt -lm  >&5

/var/tmp//ccyPVmOO.o(.text+0x7): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `readline'
configure:6303: $? = 1

There are a lot of different flavors of libedit out there, and not all
of them include readline emulation.  So I don't think this is a bug.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>> There seem to be a number of issues with our libedit support.
>> One of them is that we fail to build on Linux (at least on Debian
>> Etch/4.0 x86_64 and i386) if libedit-dev is installed but not
>> libreadline5-dev.
>
> And what other ones?
>
>> The problem is that in that configuration ./configure seems to think
>> that there is a working strlcpy available due to the fact that it
>> includes -ledit in the relevant configure test which seems to provide
>> strlcpy :-(
>
> Fixed.

confirmed:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=Shad&dt=2006-11-29%2021:25:13