Обсуждение: Config file for psql

Config file for psql

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
Hi,

A little while ago there was someone asking for tools to make it easier
to connect to multiple servers. It occured to me that it might be
useful to have a config file the way ssh does it:

Host production ServerName  db1 DBName      main Username    blah Password    blah UseSSL      yes

Host test ServerName db2 ServerPort 5434 DBName     main Username   blah Password   blah

Host * Username    default

So when you type "psql test" it fills in the server name, port,
database, username and password for you. For hosts not listed, it gives
a default username "default". It's really just a variation on the
.netrc file.

Thoughts?

Re: Config file for psql

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> A little while ago there was someone asking for tools to make it
> easier to connect to multiple servers. It occured to me that it might
> be useful to have a config file the way ssh does it:

That looks suspiciously like the service facility that we already have.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Config file for psql

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 07:52:22PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> A little while ago there was someone asking for tools to make it easier
> to connect to multiple servers. It occured to me that it might be
> useful to have a config file the way ssh does it:

Something like pg_service.conf?  Hardly anybody ever mentions it
even though the libpq documentation refers to it; I wonder how many
people even know it exists.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq.html#LIBPQ-CONNECT
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq-envars.html

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Config file for psql

От
Andrew Dunstan

Michael Fuhr wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 07:52:22PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>

>>A little while ago there was someone asking for tools to make it easier
>>to connect to multiple servers. It occured to me that it might be
>>useful to have a config file the way ssh does it:
>>

>Something like pg_service.conf?  Hardly anybody ever mentions it
>even though the libpq documentation refers to it; I wonder how many
>people even know it exists.
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq.html#LIBPQ-CONNECT
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq-envars.html

This needs a LOT more prominence. We probably need to refer to these
things on the manual pages for each of the libpq clients we have.
Haven't we learned that lesson from .pgpass ? The number of people who
read the libpq docs is probably vanishingly small.

cheers

andrew

Re: Config file for psql

Дата:
> This needs a LOT more prominence. We probably need to refer to these
> things on the manual pages for each of the libpq clients we have.
> Haven't we learned that lesson from .pgpass ? The number of people who
> read the libpq docs is probably vanishingly small.

Perhaps we should make a concerted effort to split the libpq docs into a
section "for programmers" vs one "for users", the latter part covering
the libpq behavior that is interesting to users of a libpq-based app.
.pgpass, pg_service, the environment vars, SSL behavior, maybe some
other things belong in the "for users" part.

I think only the environment-vars page is currently linked from the
client-apps reference pages, but if we did this we could link to the
entire for-users section and be done with it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Config file for psql

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 12:19:39PM -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 07:52:22PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > A little while ago there was someone asking for tools to make it easier
> > to connect to multiple servers. It occured to me that it might be
> > useful to have a config file the way ssh does it:
>
> Something like pg_service.conf?  Hardly anybody ever mentions it
> even though the libpq documentation refers to it; I wonder how many
> people even know it exists.

I'd say not many? If you search the mail archives for "pg_service.conf"
in the last two years, there's only 15 matches and even then it's only
ever mentioned on -hackers or -patches.

For example, nobody brought it up that last thread about connecting to
multiple servers, even though it would have been the perfect solution.

I certainly never heard of it and I've been using postgres and been on
-general for several years.

Have a nice day,

Re: Config file for psql

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 02:49:08PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Perhaps we should make a concerted effort to split the libpq docs into a
> section "for programmers" vs one "for users", the latter part covering
> the libpq behavior that is interesting to users of a libpq-based app.
> .pgpass, pg_service, the environment vars, SSL behavior, maybe some
> other things belong in the "for users" part.

+1. Is there a docs TODO?

Re: Config file for psql

Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 02:49:08PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Perhaps we should make a concerted effort to split the libpq docs into a
> > section "for programmers" vs one "for users", the latter part covering
> > the libpq behavior that is interesting to users of a libpq-based app.
> > .pgpass, pg_service, the environment vars, SSL behavior, maybe some
> > other things belong in the "for users" part.
>
> +1. Is there a docs TODO?

Added to TODO:

    * Split out libpq pgpass and environment documentation sections
      to make it easier for non-developers to find

Looking at the existing manual, how do we do this?  Do we make separate
libpq-programming and a libpq-runtime sections?

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com