Обсуждение: Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
"Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
> Milorad Poluga написа:
>>> SELECT '10 years 1 mons 1 days'::interval - '9 years 10 mons 15 days'::interval
>>> ?column?
>>> ---------------
>>> 3 mons -14 days
>>>
>>> Why not '2 mons  16 days' ?

> Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
> . It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
> that could do what you need.

justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.  Similarly for justify_hours.
Comments anyone?  Patch anyone?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
> > Milorad Poluga написа:

> > Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
> > (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
> > . It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
> > that could do what you need.
>
> justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.

What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Mark Dilger
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
>
>>Milorad Poluga напи�а:

>>Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
>>(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
>>. It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
>>that could do what you need.
>

> justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.  Similarly for justify_hours.
> Comments anyone?  Patch anyone?

Sure, if nobody objects to this change I can write the patch.

mark

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Mark Dilger wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
> >
> >>Milorad Poluga ????????????:

> >>Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
> >>(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
> >>. It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
> >>that could do what you need.
> >

> > justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> > thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> > However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> > negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> > 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.  Similarly for justify_hours.
> > Comments anyone?  Patch anyone?
>
> Sure, if nobody objects to this change I can write the patch.

Good question.  Should we restrict days to 0 - 30 or -30 - 30?  The
current system does the later:
test=> select justify_days('-45 days');   justify_days------------------ -1 mons -15 days(1 row)
test=> select justify_days('1 month -45 days'); justify_days-------------- -15 days(1 row)
test=> select justify_days('1 month -15 days');  justify_days---------------- 1 mon -15 days(1 row)

Should we be adjusting the last one?  I am unsure.  Comments?

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Mark Dilger
Дата:
Mark Dilger wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> "Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
>>
>>> Milorad Poluga напи�а:

>>> Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
>>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
>>>
>>> . It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
>>> that could do what you need.
>>

>> justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
>> thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
>> However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
>> negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
>> 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.  Similarly for justify_hours.
>> Comments anyone?  Patch anyone?
>

> Sure, if nobody objects to this change I can write the patch.
>
> mark

I've modified the code and it now behaves as follows:
  select justify_days('3 months -12 days'::interval);    justify_days  ----------------   2 mons 18 days
  select justify_days('3 months -33 days'::interval);   justify_days  ---------------   1 mon 27 days
  select justify_hours('3 months -33 days -12 hours'::interval);         justify_hours  ---------------------------   3
mons-34 days +12:00:00

  select justify_days(justify_hours('3 months -33 days -12 hours'::interval));        justify_days
------------------------  1 mon 26 days 12:00:00

  select justify_hours('-73 hours'::interval);     justify_hours  -------------------   -4 days +23:00:00
  select justify_days('-62 days'::interval);     justify_days  ------------------   -3 mons +28 days

I find the last two results somewhat peculiar, as the new functionality pushes
the negative values upwards (from hours to days, days to months).  Changing '-73
hours' to '-3 days -1 hour' might be more intuitive?  The '-4 days +23 hours' is
however consistent with the behavior in the other cases.

Thoughts?  I will package this up into a patch fairly soon.

mark

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:59:29PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Good question.  Should we restrict days to 0 - 30 or -30 - 30?  The
> current system does the later:
>
>     test=> select justify_days('-45 days');
>        justify_days
>     ------------------
>      -1 mons -15 days
>     (1 row)
>
>     test=> select justify_days('1 month -45 days');
>      justify_days
>     --------------
>      -15 days
>     (1 row)
>
>     test=> select justify_days('1 month -15 days');
>       justify_days
>     ----------------
>      1 mon -15 days
>     (1 row)
>
> Should we be adjusting the last one?  I am unsure.  Comments?

ISTM it should be looking at the sign of the overall interval, and
sticking with that consistently. So while '1 mon 5 days' and '-3 mon -8
days' both make sense, '1 mon -2 days' doesn't make nearly as much sense
in the general case. Of course this is complicated by the fact that '1
mon 20 days' doesn't necessarily equate to '2 mon -10 days'... :(

One of these days we should just create a new calendar. ;)

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Mark Dilger wrote:
>    select justify_hours('-73 hours'::interval);
>       justify_hours
>    -------------------
>     -4 days +23:00:00
>
>    select justify_days('-62 days'::interval);
>       justify_days
>    ------------------
>     -3 mons +28 days
>

> I find the last two results somewhat peculiar, as the new functionality
> pushes the negative values upwards (from hours to days, days to months).
> Changing '-73 hours' to '-3 days -1 hour' might be more intuitive?
> The '-4 days +23 hours' is however consistent with the behavior in the
> other cases.

I don't think we can accept a change that takes a negative and turns it
into a positive and negative.  I think the answer to the last one should
be '-2 mons -2 days', which is what it does now:test=> select justify_days('-62 days'::interval);
justify_days------------------2 mons -2 days(1 row)

The open question is whether we should convert a positive and negative
to a positive, or a negative, based on the sign of the highest value,
e.g. convert '1 mons -10 days' to '20 days', and '-1 mons 10 days' to
'-20 days'?

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Stephan Szabo wrote:
> > justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> > thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> > However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> > negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> > 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.
>
> What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?

I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
think it is possible in all cases:
'2 mons -1 days'

could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 14:18, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Stephan Szabo wrote:
> > > justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> > > thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> > > However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> > > negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> > > 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.
> >
> > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
>
> I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> think it is possible in all cases:
>
>     '2 mons -1 days'
>
> could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.

There's a part of me that thinks the WHOLE THING should be positive or
negative:

-(2 months 1 day)

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
> >
> > I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> > think it is possible in all cases:
> >
> >     '2 mons -1 days'
> >
> > could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.
>
> There's a part of me that thinks the WHOLE THING should be positive or
> negative:
>
> -(2 months 1 day)

But it isn't '-2 months, -1 day'.  I think what you are saying is what I
am saying, that we should make the signs consistent.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
> I don't think we can accept a change that takes a negative and turns it
> into a positive and negative.

Yeah, I find the patch's changes to the regression results pretty
disturbing.

Perhaps the correct definition ought to be like "if month part >= 0
then the reduced day part should be between 0 and 30, otherwise the
reduced day part should be between 0 and -30".  However there are
still corner cases to worry about.  If the original month and day
parts are of different sign, you might not be able to do such a
reduction without changing the sign of the month part, consider
"1 month -95 days".  Not clear what to do with this.

I guess I would expect a good result to satisfy one of these three
cases:* month > 0 and 0 <= day < 30* month < 0 and -30 < day <= 0* month = 0 and -30 < day < 30
If you believe that then "1 month -95 days" should justify to
"-2 months -5 days".
        regards, tom lane

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2006-03-01 kell 15:18, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> Stephan Szabo wrote:
> > > justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
> > > thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
> > > However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
> > > negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
> > > 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.
> >
> > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
>
> I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> think it is possible in all cases:
>
>     '2 mons -1 days'
>
> could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.

But unfortunately '2 mons -1 days' <> '1 mons 29 days'

If I want something to happen 1 day less than two months from dome date,
then the only way to say that consistently *is* '2 mons -1 days'.

--------------
Hannu

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2006-03-01 kell 15:18, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> > >
> > > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
> >
> > I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> > think it is possible in all cases:
> >
> >     '2 mons -1 days'
> >
> > could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.
>
> But unfortunately '2 mons -1 days' <> '1 mons 29 days'
>
> If I want something to happen 1 day less than two months from dome date,
> then the only way to say that consistently *is* '2 mons -1 days'.

Right, but would you call justify_days on such an interval?  '2 months -1
days' <> '1 mon 29 days', but '1 mon 60 days' is also <> '3 mons' in
general usage.

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> ?hel kenal p?eval, K, 2006-03-01 kell 15:18, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> > >
> > > What about cases like interval '1 month -99 days', should that turn into
> > > interval '-3 mons +21 days' or '-2 mons -9 days'?
> >
> > I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> > think it is possible in all cases:
> >
> >     '2 mons -1 days'
> >
> > could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.
>
> But unfortunately '2 mons -1 days' <> '1 mons 29 days'
>
> If I want something to happen 1 day less than two months from dome date,
> then the only way to say that consistently *is* '2 mons -1 days'.

Right, but you asked to justify the days by calling the function.

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I don't think we can accept a change that takes a negative and turns it
> > into a positive and negative.
>
> Yeah, I find the patch's changes to the regression results pretty
> disturbing.
>
> Perhaps the correct definition ought to be like "if month part >= 0
> then the reduced day part should be between 0 and 30, otherwise the
> reduced day part should be between 0 and -30".  However there are
> still corner cases to worry about.  If the original month and day
> parts are of different sign, you might not be able to do such a
> reduction without changing the sign of the month part, consider
> "1 month -95 days".  Not clear what to do with this.
>
> I guess I would expect a good result to satisfy one of these three
> cases:
>     * month > 0 and 0 <= day < 30
>     * month < 0 and -30 < day <= 0
>     * month = 0 and -30 < day < 30
> If you believe that then "1 month -95 days" should justify to
> "-2 months -5 days".

I believe it.  :-)

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

Дата:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net> writes:
> But unfortunately '2 mons -1 days' <> '1 mons 29 days'
> If I want something to happen 1 day less than two months from dome date,
> then the only way to say that consistently *is* '2 mons -1 days'.

Sure, but if you want to represent that then you don't pass the value
through justify_days().  The entire premise of justify_days() is that
1 month is interchangeable with 30 days and we should try to make the
value "look nice" given that assumption.

I think everyone's independently arrived at the same thought that
justify_days should not produce a result with different signs for month
and day (except for the case with month = 0, per my last message).
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

>>I don't think we can accept a change that takes a negative and turns it
>>into a positive and negative.
>

> Yeah, I find the patch's changes to the regression results pretty
> disturbing.
>
> Perhaps the correct definition ought to be like "if month part >= 0
> then the reduced day part should be between 0 and 30, otherwise the
> reduced day part should be between 0 and -30".  However there are
> still corner cases to worry about.  If the original month and day
> parts are of different sign, you might not be able to do such a
> reduction without changing the sign of the month part, consider
> "1 month -95 days".  Not clear what to do with this.
>
> I guess I would expect a good result to satisfy one of these three
> cases:
>     * month > 0 and 0 <= day < 30
>     * month < 0 and -30 < day <= 0
>     * month = 0 and -30 < day < 30
> If you believe that then "1 month -95 days" should justify to
> "-2 months -5 days".
>
>             regards, tom lane

How would you expect justify_hours to behave?  I extrapolate from your rules
above that:
      * month > 0 and 0 <= day < 30 and 0 <= hours < 24      * month < 0 and -30 < day <= 0 and -24 < hours <= 0      *
month= 0 and -30 < day <= 0 and -24 < hours <= 0      * month = 0 and 0 <= day < 30 and 0 <= hours < 24

Which would mean that '1 month -95 days -12 hours' should justify to "-2 months
-5 days -12 hours" rather than "-2 months -6 days 12 hours", but that '1 month
-15 days -12 hours" would justify to '14 days 12 hours' rather than '15 days -12
hours'.

Is this correct?

mark

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Mark Dilger
Дата:
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> But unfortunately '2 mons -1 days' <> '1 mons 29 days'
>
> If I want something to happen 1 day less than two months from dome date,
> then the only way to say that consistently *is* '2 mons -1 days'.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that justify_days would only be called
if the user wanted it.  I get the following behavior in psql even after the
patch is applied:

select '2 mons -1 days'::interval;    interval
---------------- 2 mons -1 days

So there does not seem to be any justification going on without the user's
permission.  Consequently, if you need '2 mons -1 days', don't call justify_days.

Am I missing something?

mark

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 14:27, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > > I think it should be the later.  It is best to have a single sign, and I
> > > think it is possible in all cases:
> > >
> > >     '2 mons -1 days'
> > >
> > > could be adjusted to '1 mons 29 days'.
> >
> > There's a part of me that thinks the WHOLE THING should be positive or
> > negative:
> >
> > -(2 months 1 day)
>
> But it isn't '-2 months, -1 day'.  I think what you are saying is what I
> am saying, that we should make the signs consistent.

Pretty much.  It just seems wrong to have different signs in what is
essentially a single unit.

We don't say 42 degrees, -12 minutes when measuring arc, do we?  Then
again, maybe some folks do.  It just seems wrong to me.

Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting