Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> "Milen A. Radev" <milen@radev.net> writes:
>>
>>> Milorad Poluga напи�а:

>>> Please read the last paragraph in section 8.5.1.4 of the manual
>>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/datatype-datetime.html#AEN4775)
>>>
>>> . It mentions the functions named "justify_days" and "justify_hours"
>>> that could do what you need.
>>

>> justify_days doesn't currently do anything with this result --- it
>> thinks its charter is only to reduce day components that are >= 30 days.
>> However, I think a good case could be made that it should normalize
>> negative days too; that is, the invariant on its result should be
>> 0 <= days < 30, not merely days < 30.  Similarly for justify_hours.
>> Comments anyone?  Patch anyone?
>

> Sure, if nobody objects to this change I can write the patch.
>
> mark

I've modified the code and it now behaves as follows:
  select justify_days('3 months -12 days'::interval);    justify_days  ----------------   2 mons 18 days
  select justify_days('3 months -33 days'::interval);   justify_days  ---------------   1 mon 27 days
  select justify_hours('3 months -33 days -12 hours'::interval);         justify_hours  ---------------------------   3
mons-34 days +12:00:00

  select justify_days(justify_hours('3 months -33 days -12 hours'::interval));        justify_days
------------------------  1 mon 26 days 12:00:00

  select justify_hours('-73 hours'::interval);     justify_hours  -------------------   -4 days +23:00:00
  select justify_days('-62 days'::interval);     justify_days  ------------------   -3 mons +28 days

I find the last two results somewhat peculiar, as the new functionality pushes
the negative values upwards (from hours to days, days to months).  Changing '-73
hours' to '-3 days -1 hour' might be more intuitive?  The '-4 days +23 hours' is
however consistent with the behavior in the other cases.

Thoughts?  I will package this up into a patch fairly soon.

mark

Сообщение: Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] Interval subtracting