Обсуждение: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

От
Matthias Schmidt
Дата:
Hi *,

I have some cylcles left and like to pick up something from the TODO
list.

These are the things I'm interested in:

1) Allow limits on per-db/user connections
2) Allow server log information to be output as INSERT statements
3) Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects
with one
4) Allow PREPARE of cursors

what's free, what's apropriate for a newbee like me?

cheers,

Matthias

Matthias Schmidt
Viehtriftstr. 49

67346 Speyer
GERMANY

Tel.: +49 6232 4867
Fax.: +49 6232 640089

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:15:10PM +0100, Matthias Schmidt wrote:

> 1) Allow limits on per-db/user connections

Sounds hard to do: what limits? CPU, disk?

> 2) Allow server log information to be output as INSERT statements

Is this really needed?

> 3) Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects
> with one

Maybe this is "apply schema changes to several objects with one
command".  This seems reasonable.

> 4) Allow PREPARE of cursors

What does this means?  Do you use an EXECUTE FETCH afterwards?  Doesn't
make a lot of sense to me.

"Porque francamente, si para saber manejarse a uno mismo hubiera que
rendir examen... ¿Quién es el machito que tendría carnet?"  (Mafalda)

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

Дата:
Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm@mock-software.de> writes:
> These are the things I'm interested in:

> 1) Allow limits on per-db/user connections
> 2) Allow server log information to be output as INSERT statements
> 3) Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects
> with one
> 4) Allow PREPARE of cursors

> what's free, what's apropriate for a newbee like me?

I'd vote for #3 just because it'd be much the most useful --- we
get requests for that every other day, it seems like.  The others
are far down the wish-list.  It's also localized enough that I think
a newbie could handle it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Matthias Schmidt (schmidtm@mock-software.de) wrote:
> 3) Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects
> with one

This would be nice.  I had to write a perl script to do it here. :)
It'd also be nice to be able to specify a set of permissions that will
be inheirited by newly created objects in a schema.  Something like:

grant select,insert,update on schema DEFAULT to group xyz;
Stephen

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

От
Reini Urban
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera schrieb:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:15:10PM +0100, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
>>1) Allow limits on per-db/user connections
> Sounds hard to do: what limits? CPU, disk?

Note that a typical server limit, the load average, will not be
portable. There's no WIN32 solution yet.
The CPU load is also not really easy to port, but there exist solutions.

But I guess you are only talking about restricting client connections,
which is easy enough.
--
Reini Urban

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

От
Matthias Schmidt
Дата:
OK guys - i think I go for #3:

Am 18.01.2005 um 20:47 schrieb Tom Lane:

> Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm@mock-software.de> writes:
>> These are the things I'm interested in:
>
>> 1) Allow limits on per-db/user connections
>> 2) Allow server log information to be output as INSERT statements
>> 3) Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects
>> with one
>> 4) Allow PREPARE of cursors
>
>> what's free, what's apropriate for a newbee like me?
>
> I'd vote for #3 just because it'd be much the most useful --- we
> get requests for that every other day, it seems like.  The others
> are far down the wish-list.  It's also localized enough that I think
> a newbie could handle it.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Matthias Schmidt
Viehtriftstr. 49

67346 Speyer
GERMANY

Tel.: +49 6232 4867
Fax.: +49 6232 640089

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
> > 3) Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema
objects
> > with one
>
> Maybe this is "apply schema changes to several objects with one
> command".  This seems reasonable.

Well, I don't know.  IMO, what I would really like to see is for various
database objects to inherit permissions from the schema.  The ability to
GRANT to all tables in a schema, etc. is almost trivial to implement in
plpgsql/dynamic sql currently.  However the major annoyance with that
approach is that I have to remember to re-grant permissions to tables in
a schema after running that function.  As worded, the TODO does not
solve that problem.

IOW, I would really like to see the TODO to be reworded 'allow schema
objects to inherit permissions from the schema' or something like
this...

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>>3) Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema
>
> objects
>
>>>with one
>>
>>Maybe this is "apply schema changes to several objects with one
>>command".  This seems reasonable.
>

> Well, I don't know.  IMO, what I would really like to see is for various
> database objects to inherit permissions from the schema.  The ability to
> GRANT to all tables in a schema, etc. is almost trivial to implement in
> plpgsql/dynamic sql currently.

And pgAdmin3 V1.2 has the Grant Wizard, as pgAdmin2 had. Though an SQL
command for granting on multiple objects won't hurt.

> However the major annoyance with that
> approach is that I have to remember to re-grant permissions to tables in
> a schema after running that function.  As worded, the TODO does not
> solve that problem.
>
> IOW, I would really like to see the TODO to be reworded 'allow schema
> objects to inherit permissions from the schema' or something like
> this...

This sounds quite helpful too, but I'd call it a second TODO.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Some things I like to pick from the TODO list ...

Дата:
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> > objects

> >>Maybe this is "apply schema changes to several objects with one
> >>command".  This seems reasonable.
> >

> > Well, I don't know.  IMO, what I would really like to see is for various
> > database objects to inherit permissions from the schema.  The ability to
> > GRANT to all tables in a schema, etc. is almost trivial to implement in
> > plpgsql/dynamic sql currently.
>
> And pgAdmin3 V1.2 has the Grant Wizard, as pgAdmin2 had. Though an SQL
> command for granting on multiple objects won't hurt.
>
> > However the major annoyance with that
> > approach is that I have to remember to re-grant permissions to tables in
> > a schema after running that function.  As worded, the TODO does not
> > solve that problem.
> >
> > IOW, I would really like to see the TODO to be reworded 'allow schema
> > objects to inherit permissions from the schema' or something like
> > this...
>
> This sounds quite helpful too, but I'd call it a second TODO.

Added to TODO:
* Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be inherited by objects based on  schema permissions

Pennsylvania19073