Обсуждение: compile warning

compile warning

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
I'm seeing this compile warning on today's CVS tip:

$ make src/backend/commands/tablecmds.o
gcc -O2 -g -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -I./src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE   -c -o
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.osrc/backend/commands/tablecmds.c

src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c: In function `validateForeignKeyConstraint':
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c:3528: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)

$ src/bin/pg_config/pg_config --configure
'--enable-debug' '--enable-nls=es' '--enable-integer-datetimes'

"In Europe they call me Niklaus Wirth; in the US they call me Nickel's worth.
That's because in Europe they call me by name, and in the US by value!"

Re: compile warning

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I'm seeing this compile warning on today's CVS tip:
>
> $ make src/backend/commands/tablecmds.o
> gcc -O2 -g -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -I./src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE   -c -o
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.osrc/backend/commands/tablecmds.c

> src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c: In function `validateForeignKeyConstraint':
> src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c:3528: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)
>
> $ src/bin/pg_config/pg_config --configure
> '--enable-debug' '--enable-nls=es' '--enable-integer-datetimes'

If you change the offending line to:
fcinfo.context = (struct Node *) &trigdata;

I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it is worth a try.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: compile warning

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:51:09PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I'm seeing this compile warning on today's CVS tip:
> >
> > $ make src/backend/commands/tablecmds.o
> > gcc -O2 -g -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -I./src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE   -c -o
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.osrc/backend/commands/tablecmds.c

> > src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c: In function `validateForeignKeyConstraint':
> > src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c:3528: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
>
> If you change the offending line to:
>
>     fcinfo.context = (struct Node *) &trigdata;
>
> I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it is worth a try.

Nope, same warning.  I don't know what it means though.  I tried some
other things to correct it, but I can't find exactly what it's
complaining about.  What is a "type-punned pointer"?

Looking in Google finds this thread first:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current@freebsd.org/msg58957.html
which is full of a very ugly kernel macro (I'm happy to stay away from
that):

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current@freebsd.org/msg58957.html

This other guy actually posted an useful excerpt from the GCC manpage:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200309/msg00342.html

So, I still don't understand what's the noise about.  However I think
there's no way to silence the warning without uglifying the structs a
lot by means of some union.

"I would rather have GNU than GNOT."  (ccchips, lwn.net/Articles/37595/)

Re: compile warning

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:51:09PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > I'm seeing this compile warning on today's CVS tip:
> > >
> > > $ make src/backend/commands/tablecmds.o
> > > gcc -O2 -g -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -I./src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE   -c -o
src/backend/commands/tablecmds.osrc/backend/commands/tablecmds.c

> > > src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c: In function `validateForeignKeyConstraint':
> > > src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c:3528: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing
rules

> > If you change the offending line to:
> >
> >     fcinfo.context = (struct Node *) &trigdata;
> >
> > I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it is worth a try.
>
> Nope, same warning.  I don't know what it means though.  I tried some
> other things to correct it, but I can't find exactly what it's
> complaining about.  What is a "type-punned pointer"?
>
> Looking in Google finds this thread first:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current@freebsd.org/msg58957.html
> which is full of a very ugly kernel macro (I'm happy to stay away from
> that):
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current@freebsd.org/msg58957.html
>

> This other guy actually posted an useful excerpt from the GCC manpage:
> http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200309/msg00342.html
>
> So, I still don't understand what's the noise about.  However I think
> there's no way to silence the warning without uglifying the structs a
> lot by means of some union.

I am still confused.  I understand the example listed in the last URL:
 union a_union {    int i;    double d;  };
  int f() {    a_union t;    t.d = 3.0;    return t.i;  }

will work fine because you are accessing the values through the union.
However in this example, also from that URL:
  int f() {    a_union t;    int* ip;    t.d = 3.0;    ip = &t.i;    return *ip;  }

there is a problem because  it assumes that the int and double _start_
at the same address in the structure.  It is probabably a bad idea to be
taking passing pointers out of a union.

However, we aren't using unions in the query being complainted about.

In our code mentioned above, we have:

> >     fcinfo.context = (Node *) &trigdata;

We are taking the address of a structure (not a union), but we are
assuming that a "struct TriggerData" pointer can be accessed through a
"struct Node" pointer.  Now, both structures begin with a NodeTag
element, so it should be OK, but I guess the compiler guys don't know
that.  However, I thought the cast shouldn't cause a problem at all.

Can someone with gcc 3.3.1 make up a little test program to illustrate
the bug?  Does taking the adddress of any structure an casting it cause
this warning?  I would think not because we must do that lots of places
in our code.

This seems to be a bug in gcc-3.3.1.  -fstrict-aliasing is enabled by
-O2 or higher optimization in gcc 3.3.1.

Now that I think of it, they might be talking about an optimization
called register aliasing, where they are taking the structure and
mapping it to a CPU register for some optimization, and what we are
doing is to store a different structure in there that will not fit in a
register.  A Node will fit in a register (it is only an enum) but the
TriggerData structure will not, meaning the code has to spill the
register to memory, then access the full structure, or something like
that.

Here are the places reported to generated warnings in our code by the
Cygwin guys:tablecmds.c:3528: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing
rulesexecQual.c:749:warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rulesexecQual.c:995: warning:
dereferencingtype-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rulespg_shmem.c:368: warning: passing arg 1 of `shmdt' from
incompatiblepointer typeproc.c:1016: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing
rulesproc.c:1057:warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rulesproc.c:1123: warning:
dereferencingtype-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rulescommand.c:1283: warning: dereferencing type-punned
pointerwill break strict-aliasing rules

Looking at the proc.c cases, we have:
   MemSet(&timeval, 0, sizeof(struct itimerval));

MemSet is passing struct itimerval * to an *int32, again a case of passing
a structure pointer to something to a data type that will fit in a
register.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: compile warning

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>This seems to be a bug in gcc-3.3.1.  -fstrict-aliasing is enabled by
>-O2 or higher optimization in gcc 3.3.1.
>
>Now that I think of it, they might be talking about an optimization
>called register aliasing, where they are taking the structure and
>mapping it to a CPU register for some optimization, and what we are
>doing is to store a different structure in there that will not fit in a
>register.  A Node will fit in a register (it is only an enum) but the
>TriggerData structure will not, meaning the code has to spill the
>register to memory, then access the full structure, or something like
>that.

Did you mean register renaming? If so, it is only turned on by -O3. But I can see that strict aliasing does help the
compilermake the right guess as to which registers to use for what, even without register renaming.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.1/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize%20Options
says:

|-O|

|-O1|   Optimize. Optimizing compilation takes somewhat more time, and a lot   more memory for a large function.
   With |-O|, the compiler tries to reduce code size and execution   time, without performing any optimizations that
takea great deal of   compilation time.

   |-O| turns on the following optimization flags:
         -fdefer-pop          -fmerge-constants          -fthread-jumps          -floop-optimize
-fcrossjumping         -fif-conversion          -fif-conversion2          -fdelayed-branch
-fguess-branch-probability         -fcprop-registers

   |-O| also turns on |-fomit-frame-pointer| on machines where doing so   does not interfere with debugging.

|-O2|   Optimize even more. GCC performs nearly all supported optimizations   that do not involve a space-speed
tradeoff.The compiler does not   perform loop unrolling or function inlining when you specify |-O2|.   As compared to
|-O|,this option increases both compilation time and   the performance of the generated code.

   |-O2| turns on all optimization flags specified by |-O|. It also   turns on the following optimization flags:
         -fforce-mem          -foptimize-sibling-calls          -fstrength-reduce          -fcse-follow-jumps
-fcse-skip-blocks         -frerun-cse-after-loop  -frerun-loop-opt          -fgcse   -fgcse-lm   -fgcse-sm
-fdelete-null-pointer-checks         -fexpensive-optimizations          -fregmove          -fschedule-insns
-fschedule-insns2         -fsched-interblock -fsched-spec          -fcaller-saves          -fpeephole2
-freorder-blocks -freorder-functions          -fstrict-aliasing          -falign-functions  -falign-jumps
-falign-loops -falign-labels

   Please note the warning under |-fgcse| about invoking |-O2| on   programs that use computed gotos.

|-O3|   Optimize yet more. |-O3| turns on all optimizations specified by   |-O2| and also turns on the
|-finline-functions|and   |-frename-registers| options.

   In the Linux kernel, you can see this in include/linux/tcp.h:
   /*    *  The union cast uses a gcc extension to avoid aliasing problems    *  (union is compatible to any of its
members)   *  This means this part of the code is -fstrict-aliasing safe now.    */   union tcp_word_hdr {       struct
tcphdrhdr;       __u32         words[5];   };

   #define tcp_flag_word(tp) ( ((union tcp_word_hdr *)(tp))->words [3])

   Maybe this gives us a clue.
   cheers
   andrew

Re: compile warning

От
Manfred Spraul
Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> This seems to be a bug in gcc-3.3.1.  -fstrict-aliasing is enabled by
>> -O2 or higher optimization in gcc 3.3.1.

According to the C standard, it's illegal to access a data with a
pointer of the wrong type. The only exception is "char *".
This can be used by compilers to pipeline loops, or to reorder instructions.
For example

void dummy(double *out, int *in, int len)
{   int j;   for (j=0;j<len;j++)      out[j] = 1.0/in[j];
}

Can be pipelined if a compiler relies on strict aliasing: it's
guaranteed that writing to out[5] won't overwrite in[6].

I think MemSet violates strict aliasing: it writes to the given address
with (int32*). gcc might move the instructions around.
I would disable strict aliasing with -fno-strict-aliasing.

>   In the Linux kernel, you can see this in include/linux/tcp.h:
>
>    /*
>     *  The union cast uses a gcc extension to avoid aliasing problems
>     *  (union is compatible to any of its members)
>     *  This means this part of the code is -fstrict-aliasing safe now.
>     */

The kernel is still compiled with -fno-strict-aliasing - I'm not sure if
there are outstanding problems, or if it's just a safety precaution.

--   Manfred

Re: compile warning

От
"Andrew Dunstan"