Re: compile warning

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: compile warning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I have a fix for this which I will post to patches - essentially you cast
> the pointers to (void *) and the compiler doesn't complain. It would be a
> pity to turn off strict aliasing altogether, as it is known to improve
> performance in some cases.
>
> Tested on Cygwin/GCC 3.3.1

I am not sure about the patch.  I know it fixes it, but is the compiler
actually reporting a valid concern, or is it broken?  Is it complaining
about passing a struct pointer of one type to another?  Don't we do that
all over the place?

I hate to add a patch just to fix a buggy version of a compiler.  If we
do apply this patch, I think we should cast to (void *), then to the
valid type, and add a comment in each instance about its purpose.

Pennsylvania19073