Обсуждение: 7.4 beta binaries

7.4 beta binaries

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
Hi all,

I am willing to build 7.4beta binaries on slackware and upload them someplace.
This is just to add to binary packages readily available.

Can anybody tell me what flags etc. are to be used. I have a slackware 9.0
installation with most of the developer tools I believe. I can give it a shot.

I don't have any webspace though. Somebody has to offer that.

ByeShridhar

--
Menu, n.:    A list of dishes which the restaurant has just run out of.

Re: 7.4 beta binaries

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 05 August 2003 03:15, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> I am willing to build 7.4beta binaries on slackware and upload them
> someplace. This is just to add to binary packages readily available.

> Can anybody tell me what flags etc. are to be used. I have a slackware 9.0
> installation with most of the developer tools I believe. I can give it a
> shot.

Ok.  If you want LSB-compliant locations, feel free to use the RPM locations
as a model; I realize slack is going to have different locations for things.
Is there an existing slack .tgz of PostgreSQL 7.3 or even 7.2 to use as a
model?  If there is, you would want to build it that way; principle of least
surprise.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: 7.4 beta binaries

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 5 Aug 2003 at 9:40, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 August 2003 03:15, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > I am willing to build 7.4beta binaries on slackware and upload them
> > someplace. This is just to add to binary packages readily available.
>
> > Can anybody tell me what flags etc. are to be used. I have a slackware 9.0
> > installation with most of the developer tools I believe. I can give it a
> > shot.
>
> Ok.  If you want LSB-compliant locations, feel free to use the RPM locations
> as a model; I realize slack is going to have different locations for things.
> Is there an existing slack .tgz of PostgreSQL 7.3 or even 7.2 to use as a
> model?  If there is, you would want to build it that way; principle of least
> surprise.

OK, I will look for them. Actually slack does not have postgresql at all. You
need to build it by hand.

What I have built is bare minimum. Libpq+plpgsql and core. That's it. Obviously
it won't fly much in real world but that's all I need. So I don't want to show
up a package which does not have half the things people frequently use.

Will check up on rpms on what components they enable.

ByeShridhar

--
You speak of courage.  Obviously you do not know the difference betweencourage
and foolhardiness.  Always it is the brave ones who die, the soldiers.        -- Kor,

Re: 7.4 beta binaries

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Shridhar Daithankar writes:

> Can anybody tell me what flags etc. are to be used. I have a slackware 9.0
> installation with most of the developer tools I believe. I can give it a shot.

When you configure, enable everything:

--enable-nls --enable-thread-safety --with-tcl --with-perl --with-python
--with-java --with-krb5 --with-pam --with-openssl

Use --prefix=/usr.  That should get all the paths right.  (There may be
room for refinement, but not FHS lawyer can argue against what
--prefix=/usr gives you.)

Add optimizing CFLAGS according to local custom.

When you install, run something like

make install DESTDIR=/tmp/foo

This will give you a fake-root installation under /tmp/foo that you can
archive without having to affect your running system.

If the Slackware package system does not strip binaries automatically, use
make install-strip instead of make install.

Call make install-all-headers.

Make sure ldconfig is called somewhere.

Use /var/lib/postgresql/data as the data dir.

Then you need to figure out how to start the server at boot time.  Use
contrib/start-scripts/linux as a start.

And finally, if you find something that local custom dictates but is not
easily supported by the standard distribution, let us know.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: 7.4 beta binaries

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 6 Aug 2003 at 9:51, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Shridhar Daithankar writes:
>
> > Can anybody tell me what flags etc. are to be used. I have a slackware 9.0
> > installation with most of the developer tools I believe. I can give it a shot.
>
> When you configure, enable everything:
>
> --enable-nls --enable-thread-safety --with-tcl --with-perl --with-python
> --with-java --with-krb5 --with-pam --with-openssl

Well thanks for all the hints. That was a real nice HOWTO. I will see if I can
build that. I am worrid about java part of it. No java on my machine. But will
work that out.

> Use --prefix=/usr.  That should get all the paths right.  (There may be
> room for refinement, but not FHS lawyer can argue against what
> --prefix=/usr gives you.)
>
> Add optimizing CFLAGS according to local custom.

I think O2 is enough.

> If the Slackware package system does not strip binaries automatically, use
> make install-strip instead of make install.

It does. Anyway I will be using checkinstall. It will give a single postgresql
package. I am not going to make effort of splitting it all along. Personally I
find it useful to have everything installed.
> Call make install-all-headers.
>
> Make sure ldconfig is called somewhere.
>
> Use /var/lib/postgresql/data as the data dir.
>
> Then you need to figure out how to start the server at boot time.  Use
> contrib/start-scripts/linux as a start.

OK. Will check that..

> And finally, if you find something that local custom dictates but is not
> easily supported by the standard distribution, let us know.

Will keep it updated..

ByeShridhar

--
O'Toole's commentary on Murphy's Law:    Murphy was an optimist.