Обсуждение: PQexec() 8191 bytes limit and text fields

PQexec() 8191 bytes limit and text fields

От
"Steve Howe"
Дата:
Hello all,

       Writing my interface application, which use the PQexec library, I
came across the PQexec() queries 8191 bytes limit.       What useful are 4Gb text fields if I have this limit ?       I
mean,if a user make an update to this field, with a large value

(let's say, 4Mb), do I have to call PQexec multiple (more then 500) times,
concatenating the strings each time I call it ??? Can't this be better
implemented ? This is too slow, and generates much more traffic then I ever
wish.       This problem also plagues the large objects API, since they're only
a wrapper to the built-in large objects API.       Does anyone have a better way of doing this ?

Best Regards,
Steve Howe
http://www.vitavoom.com

Re: PQexec() 8191 bytes limit and text fields

От
"Mitch Vincent"
Дата:
    First, are you using the latest PG? I was under the impression that all
the hard-coded limitations on size had been eliminated in the latest
releases. I know for an absolute fact that I can insert multi-megabyte sized
text chunks in PG 7.1.2 as I've done just that before...
   Good luck!

-Mitch

>         Writing my interface application, which use the PQexec library, I
> came across the PQexec() queries 8191 bytes limit.
>         What useful are 4Gb text fields if I have this limit ?
>         I mean, if a user make an update to this field, with a large value
> (let's say, 4Mb), do I have to call PQexec multiple (more then 500) times,
> concatenating the strings each time I call it ??? Can't this be better
> implemented ? This is too slow, and generates much more traffic then I
ever
> wish.
>         This problem also plagues the large objects API, since they're
only
> a wrapper to the built-in large objects API.
>         Does anyone have a better way of doing this ?
>
> Best Regards,
> Steve Howe
> http://www.vitavoom.com

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: PQexec() 8191 bytes limit and text fields

Дата:
"Steve Howe" <howe@carcass.dhs.org> writes:
>         Writing my interface application, which use the PQexec library, I
> came across the PQexec() queries 8191 bytes limit.

You must have a very out-of-date library.  Time to update.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PQexec() 8191 bytes limit and text fields

От
"Steve Howe"
Дата:
Hi...
       The problem is, I compiled it myself from original PostgreSQL
version 7.12 C sources using Microsoft's Visual C++ 6.0. I had to compile it
because I add a function to free the handlers returned from PQnotifies(), or
I would have a memory leak.       The resulting libpq.dll seems ok in everything but this issue...       I guess I'll
doit again, after checking the sources :)       Other people reported me they send large queries with no problems,

so I guess it should really be a problem of mine...

Best Regards,
Steve Howe