Обсуждение: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

CVS regression test failure on OBSD

От
bpalmer
Дата:
When I run 'make check' on the CVS version (today and for the last
serveral days),  I have been getting interesting failures.  Some of the
tests fail,  but the interesting part is that not the same tests always
fail.  Example:

bpalmer@mizer:~/APPS/pgsql>diff 1 2
1c1
<      boolean              ... FAILED
---
>      boolean              ... ok
3c3
<      name                 ... ok
---
>      name                 ... FAILED
5c5
<      text                 ... FAILED
---
>      text                 ... ok
9,10c9,10
<      oid                  ... FAILED
<      float4               ... ok
---
>      oid                  ... ok
>      float4               ... FAILED

In the regression.diff file,  I keep seeing this:

*** ./expected/name.out Tue Jan  4 11:19:34 2000
--- ./results/name.out  Sat Jan  6 16:36:34 2001
***************
*** 1,124 ****
! --
! -- NAME
! -- all inputs are silently truncated at NAMEDATALEN (32) characters
! --
! -- fixed-length by reference
! SELECT name 'name string' = name 'name string' AS "True";
!  True
! ------
! (2 rows)
!
! DROP TABLE NAME_TBL;
--- 1 ----
! psql: Backend startup failed

Any ideas where to look for this one?

When I run the regression test WITH ANOTHER INSTANCE OF PGSQL running,  I
got an error telling me that I needed more SEMMNI or SEMMNS.  I recompiled
my kernel with the values of 1024 and 2048 respectivly, and that seems to
have solved the problem,  but they may still be related.

Any ideas?

- Brandon

b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net
pgp:  www.crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

Дата:
bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net> writes:
> ! psql: Backend startup failed

> Any ideas where to look for this one?

In the postmaster: the fork() to launch a backend is failing.  There
should be a more detailed message in the postmaster's stderr log,
but almost certainly it's a resource-exhaustion issue.  Does your
kernel enforce a per-userid limit on the number of processes, for
example?
        regards, tom lane

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> In the postmaster: the fork() to launch a backend is failing.  There
> should be a more detailed message in the postmaster's stderr log,
> but almost certainly it's a resource-exhaustion issue.  Does your
> kernel enforce a per-userid limit on the number of processes, for
> example?

Looks like that was part of the problem.  Process ulimit and openfile
limit were both problems.  I have rolled up the process ulimit (soft /
hard) to 256 and the Open Files to 256.

There are still,  however,  4 tests that fail.

Attached.

- Brandon

uname -a
OpenBSD mizer 2.8 a#0 i386 (2.8 snapshot NOV 6 install)

b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net
pgp:  www.crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

Дата:
bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net> writes:
> There are still,  however,  4 tests that fail.

Those all look like trivial platform dependencies.  Please read
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/regress.htm
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/regress-platform.htm
and submit resultmap patches as required for your platform.
        regards, tom lane

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> Those all look like trivial platform dependencies.  Please read
> http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/regress.htm
> http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/regress-platform.htm
> and submit resultmap patches as required for your platform.

Sweet.  Thanks,  looks like the problem is solved.  Should me make note of
the changes what were needed for OBSD somewhere?

b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net
pgp:  www.crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

Дата:
bpalmer <bpalmer@crimelabs.net> writes:
> [ resultmap patches for OpenBSD ]

Applied, thanks!

> Sweet.  Thanks,  looks like the problem is solved.  Should me make note of
> the changes what were needed for OBSD somewhere?

If there's anything that users need to know beyond the standard build
instructions, perhaps we should add a doc/FAQ_OBSD ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

От
Peter Eisentraut
bpalmer writes:

> > Those all look like trivial platform dependencies.  Please read
> > http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/regress.htm
> > http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/regress-platform.htm
> > and submit resultmap patches as required for your platform.
>
> Sweet.  Thanks,  looks like the problem is solved.  Should me make note of
> the changes what were needed for OBSD somewhere?

Apparently these resultmap entries were needed at some point.  It wouldn't
surprise me if the error messages changed between releases of the OS --
it's happened to FreeBSD as well.  Perhaps they should be qualified by
version.

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

Дата:
> Apparently these resultmap entries were needed at some point.

I think you read the message backwards --- we were adding the entries,
not removing them.  (The patch was reversed as given, which is a common
mistake.)  As patched, the entries for OpenBSD look pretty much like
those for the other flavors of BSD, which gives me a nice warm fuzzy
feeling about it...
        regards, tom lane

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

От
bpalmer
Дата:
A few problems came up with 7.1CVS for i86 OpenBSD.  Here is a writeup on
what I learned and how I solved the problems.

bpalmer writes:

> A few problems came up with 7.1CVS for i86 OpenBSD.  Here is a writeup on
> what I learned and how I solved the problems.

Can you check
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.htm#SYSVIPC
to see if the description for FreeBSD is also applicable (at least in
similar form) to OpenBSD?

I'm currently writing up a section about the process and file limit issue,
which will end up nearby the section linked to above.

Re: CVS regression test failure on OBSD

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> Can you check
> http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/kernel-resources.htm#SYSVIPC
> to see if the description for FreeBSD is also applicable (at least in
> similar form) to OpenBSD?

Close enough.

> I'm currently writing up a section about the process and file limit issue,
> which will end up nearby the section linked to above.

I still don't know how to know what the max allowed (by the system) are.
Anyone?

- b