Обсуждение: pg_dump - segfault with -z option

pg_dump - segfault with -z option

От
Karl Auer
Дата:
hi.

I hope this is not a rehash of anything; a quick look at the mailing list
archives turned up similar, but not identical stories.

When I use the "-z" option (dump permissions)when dumping a database I have, I
get a segfault and no output. The other options are irrelevant (i.e., I can
specify any other option or options I like, it still happens). To the best of
my knowledge I have nothing tricky or complex in my database, just standard
types like varchar, bool and int, the refint stuff and a trigger or two.

It does NOT segfault with template1, but nor do I get any output, maybe this
is normal, I'm a total novice at this  :-)

This is not a critical issue for me, I can always set the permissions on my
tables manually, but a) it would be nice not to have to and b) I thought it
might interest someone... Seems to me that whatever the reasons for it,
pg_dump should not lose it to the extent of segfaulting :-)

Regards, K.

---
Karl Auer (auer@kom.id.ethz.ch)              Geschaeft/work     +41-1-6327531
Kommunikation, ETHZ RZ                          Privat/home     +41-1-4517941
Clausiusstrasse 59                                      Fax     +41-1-6321225
CH-8092 ZUERICH Switzerland

Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump - segfault with -z option

Дата:
Karl Auer <auer@kom.id.ethz.ch> writes:
> When I use the "-z" option (dump permissions)when dumping a database I
> have, I get a segfault and no output.

Are you on Postgres 6.4?  I recall fixing several nasty problems with
permissions in pg_dump between 6.3.2 and 6.4.

If you are on 6.4, could you use gdb or something to get a backtrace
showing exactly where pg_dump dies?

FWIW, I currently use -z routinely, but my database is probably even
simpler than yours ... no triggers, for example.  My guess is pg_dump
doesn't work for permissions attached to a trigger, or something along
that line.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump - segfault with -z option

Дата:
> hi.
>
> I hope this is not a rehash of anything; a quick look at the mailing list
> archives turned up similar, but not identical stories.
>
> When I use the "-z" option (dump permissions)when dumping a database I have, I
> get a segfault and no output. The other options are irrelevant (i.e., I can
> specify any other option or options I like, it still happens). To the best of
> my knowledge I have nothing tricky or complex in my database, just standard
> types like varchar, bool and int, the refint stuff and a trigger or two.
>
> It does NOT segfault with template1, but nor do I get any output, maybe this
> is normal, I'm a total novice at this  :-)
>
> This is not a critical issue for me, I can always set the permissions on my
> tables manually, but a) it would be nice not to have to and b) I thought it
> might interest someone... Seems to me that whatever the reasons for it,
> pg_dump should not lose it to the extent of segfaulting :-)

I believe this will be fixed in the first 6.4 minor release.  Should we
schedule 6.4.1 soon, folks.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump - segfault with -z option

От
Karl Auer
Дата:
Thanks Tom.

Yes, I am on 6.4. As to gdb, I really wouldn't know how to get the info you
request. The segfault doesn't result in a core file either.

There is nothing sacred about my project (supporting RADIUS authentication),
I'll happily send you my database creation scripts if you want to try making
this happen yourself. This is 6.4 as stated, running on a SuSE 5.3 (Linux
2.0.34) distribution. No problems running the database and all the build
tests work fine.

I have no permissions attached to triggers as far as I know; and the
permissions aren't complicated either. The segfault occurs when running the
dump as user postgres, which should have godlike permissions anyway...

Regards, K.

Am 24-Nov-98 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Karl Auer <auer@kom.id.ethz.ch> writes:
>> When I use the "-z" option (dump permissions)when dumping a database I
>> have, I get a segfault and no output.
>
> Are you on Postgres 6.4?  I recall fixing several nasty problems with
> permissions in pg_dump between 6.3.2 and 6.4.
>
> If you are on 6.4, could you use gdb or something to get a backtrace
> showing exactly where pg_dump dies?

---
Karl Auer (auer@kom.id.ethz.ch)              Geschaeft/work     +41-1-6327531
Kommunikation, ETHZ RZ                          Privat/home     +41-1-4517941
Clausiusstrasse 59                                      Fax     +41-1-6321225
CH-8092 ZUERICH Switzerland

6.4.1 schedule (was segfault with -z option)

Дата:
> Should we schedule 6.4.1 soon, folks.

I still have about 10 things on my to-do-for-6.4.1 list, and no hope
of doing any of 'em before this weekend.  If "soon" means "a couple
of weeks", then fine ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump - segfault with -z option

От
Oleg Bartunov