Обсуждение: [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

[Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Nice to know that PostgreSQL is used by greatest ISP in Russia :)

Vadim
I investigated carefully POSTGRES data base (in idea to use it for our
internal IP routing data base, and because  I have participated in Ingres
development here in Russia in RUBIN/DEMOS project - through it was not
freeware work - and it was very interesting for me too see such good
freeware data base as PostgreSQL), and I modified 'ipaddr' data type
library in
accordance to our requests and to allow SQL do indexing over ipaddr objects.

You can read description at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ipaddr.html' and get
sources at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ip_class.tar.gz'. It contains sources,
sql scripts for incorporating new data type into postgres (including
ipaddr_ops operator class incorporation) and 20,000 records based data
test for the indexing.

I am not sure if it's proper mail list for this information, and if
it's interesting for anyone except me to get full-functional ipaddress
class. I am ready to make all modifications, bug fixing and documentation
for this data class if it's nessesary for it's contribution to the
Postgres data base.

Anyway, all my work was based at original 'ip&mac data type'
contribution, written by Tom Ivar Helbekkmo.

Be free to write me any questions or requests about this work.

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)

Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:04:06 +0400 (MSD)
> From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex@Relcom.EU.net>
> To: tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO
> cc: pgsql-announce@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE
> Sender: owner-announce@hub.org
>
> I investigated carefully POSTGRES data base (in idea to use it for our
> internal IP routing data base, and because  I have participated in Ingres
> development here in Russia in RUBIN/DEMOS project - through it was not
> freeware work - and it was very interesting for me too see such good
> freeware data base as PostgreSQL), and I modified 'ipaddr' data type
> library in
> accordance to our requests and to allow SQL do indexing over ipaddr objects.
>
> You can read description at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ipaddr.html' and get
> sources at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ip_class.tar.gz'. It contains sources,
> sql scripts for incorporating new data type into postgres (including
> ipaddr_ops operator class incorporation) and 20,000 records based data
> test for the indexing.
>
> I am not sure if it's proper mail list for this information, and if
> it's interesting for anyone except me to get full-functional ipaddress
> class. I am ready to make all modifications, bug fixing and documentation
> for this data class if it's nessesary for it's contribution to the
> Postgres data base.
>
> Anyway, all my work was based at original 'ip&mac data type'
> contribution, written by Tom Ivar Helbekkmo.
>
> Be free to write me any questions or requests about this work.
>
> Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
> (+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
> (+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)

I have added this to replace the current ip /contrib handling.

dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
> > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:04:06 +0400 (MSD)
> > From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex@Relcom.EU.net>
> > To: tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO
> > cc: pgsql-announce@postgreSQL.org
> > Subject: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE
> > I investigated carefully POSTGRES data base (in idea to use it for our
> > internal IP routing data base, and because  I have participated in Ingres
> > development here in Russia in RUBIN/DEMOS project - through it was not
> > freeware work - and it was very interesting for me too see such good
> > freeware data base as PostgreSQL), and I modified 'ipaddr' data type
> > library in
> > accordance to our requests and to allow SQL do indexing over ipaddr objects.
> >
> > You can read description at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ipaddr.html' and get
> > sources at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ip_class.tar.gz'. It contains sources,
> > sql scripts for incorporating new data type into postgres (including
> > ipaddr_ops operator class incorporation) and 20,000 records based data
> > test for the indexing.
> >
> > I am not sure if it's proper mail list for this information, and if
> > it's interesting for anyone except me to get full-functional ipaddress
> > class. I am ready to make all modifications, bug fixing and documentation
> > for this data class if it's nessesary for it's contribution to the
> > Postgres data base.
> >
> > Anyway, all my work was based at original 'ip&mac data type'
> > contribution, written by Tom Ivar Helbekkmo.
> >
> > Be free to write me any questions or requests about this work.
> >
> > Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
> > (+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
> > (+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)
> >

> I have added this to replace the current ip /contrib handling.

Is this user-application compatible with our existing ip/contrib handling?

-dg

Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

Дата:
> > > You can read description at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ipaddr.html' and get
> > > sources at 'http://relcom.EU.net/ip_class.tar.gz'. It contains sources,
> > > sql scripts for incorporating new data type into postgres (including
> > > ipaddr_ops operator class incorporation) and 20,000 records based data
> > > test for the indexing.
> > >
> > > I am not sure if it's proper mail list for this information, and if
> > > it's interesting for anyone except me to get full-functional ipaddress
> > > class. I am ready to make all modifications, bug fixing and documentation
> > > for this data class if it's nessesary for it's contribution to the
> > > Postgres data base.
> > >
> > > Anyway, all my work was based at original 'ip&mac data type'
> > > contribution, written by Tom Ivar Helbekkmo.
> > >
> > > Be free to write me any questions or requests about this work.
> > > ==============================================================
> > >
> > > Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
> > > (+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
> > > (+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)
> > >

> > I have added this to replace the current ip /contrib handling.
>
> Is this user-application compatible with our existing ip/contrib handling?

Not sure, I have heard reports the ip handling needed work, so I applied it.

Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

От
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Дата:
Sorry I haven't commented on this earlier, but I have been very busy,
among other things becoming a father for the first time!  :-)

dg@illustra.com (David Gould) writes:

> Is this user-application compatible with our existing ip/contrib
> handling?

Mostly, yes.  Aleksei Roudnev did a great job adding indexing to my IP
address data type, for which I'm very grateful, and he also added some
functions that can come in handy.  Good work!  I'll certainly be using
his index building technique extensively!  However, it should be noted
that he's also built some assumptions into the current code that may
not be expected by all users.  In particular, I dislike the hardcoding
of the notion of class A, B and C network, since that's outdated and
deprecated these days.

On the other hand, Aleksei has done some good thinking on how subnet
mask specifications can be useful in the data base, doing things like
storing router interface addresses and their netmasks in the same
record, as in 193.124.23.6/24.

Alex: maybe we can sort this out and put together a "final" version
that combines the best ideas?  There's a whole unused byte in the data
structure right now, that could be put to use...

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"

Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

От
"Alex P. Rudnev"

> Alex: maybe we can sort this out and put together a "final" version
> that combines the best ideas?  There's a whole unused byte in the data
> structure right now, that could be put to use...
Yes, I can. First, there was some (small) mistakes in those version I
published fist, they are fixed now. Then, we have some experience of
using this class -because our work over IP data base is in progress.

I'll be out since 23 July, unfortunately, and have not time before this
date; but when I'll come bach from my vacation (approx. 12 August) I can
do this work.

But how to collect different opinions about IPADDR class?
I was not subscribed to Postgres mail lists (because postgres is treated
by me as THE TOOL, not the SUBJECT OF MY WORK.

 ----------
And then, may be some additional result of this work will be 'OBJECT'
and 'OBJECT EDITOR' conception - something like RIPE DBA objects, but
based at SQL tables, with WWW and PERL interface. Exactly, it's simple
SQL classes with some small restrictions (the table name and the key
attribute name should be the same, there is 2 - level references, etc
etc), and if it's usefull I can public this tools too (our interes is in
the whole IP routing/monitoring system, and some parts of this system
should have FRee status because we are ISP, not soft. development
company).

> -tih
> --
> Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)

Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

От
"Alex P. Rudnev"
Дата:
>     alex@Relcom.EU.net, hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]
>
> Sorry I haven't commented on this earlier, but I have been very busy,
> among other things becoming a father for the first time!  :-)
>
> dg@illustra.com (David Gould) writes:
>
> > Is this user-application compatible with our existing ip/contrib
> > handling?
>
> Mostly, yes.  Aleksei Roudnev did a great job adding indexing to my IP
Yes, except INPUT/OUTPUT functions. The 'ipclass' contributed into PSQL
before have the strict concept of 'IPADDR is SUBNET always, this mean it
have not HOST bits at all_. My concept was:

- ipaddr consist of IPADDRESS and MASK; this mean you can store both
NETWORKS and INTERFACE ADDRESSES, and you can easyly found all router
interfaces connected to the same network, for example;
- input and output functions use /PREFIX form of address with 2
exceptions:

(1) HOST (/32) address and last byte is not '0';
(2) A, B or C network address, and last 3, 2 or 1 bytes is ZERO.

This was done becuase it's near intuitive writing we use widely - if we
treat '193.124.23.0' as host address, or you treat '193.124.23.4' as
network address, it's out of common usage; all other cases you use
'/prefix' form.

In addition, there is 6'th byte of the 'ipaddr' structure not used yet,
(exactly my idea was to use it for 'undefined' values but I did not
checked my realisation of this).