Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]

От Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] ipaddr data type - EXTENDED VERSION HERE]
Список pgsql-hackers
Sorry I haven't commented on this earlier, but I have been very busy,
among other things becoming a father for the first time!  :-)

dg@illustra.com (David Gould) writes:

> Is this user-application compatible with our existing ip/contrib
> handling?

Mostly, yes.  Aleksei Roudnev did a great job adding indexing to my IP
address data type, for which I'm very grateful, and he also added some
functions that can come in handy.  Good work!  I'll certainly be using
his index building technique extensively!  However, it should be noted
that he's also built some assumptions into the current code that may
not be expected by all users.  In particular, I dislike the hardcoding
of the notion of class A, B and C network, since that's outdated and
deprecated these days.

On the other hand, Aleksei has done some good thinking on how subnet
mask specifications can be useful in the data base, doing things like
storing router interface addresses and their netmasks in the same
record, as in 193.124.23.6/24.

Alex: maybe we can sort this out and put together a "final" version
that combines the best ideas?  There's a whole unused byte in the data
structure right now, that could be put to use...

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"