Обсуждение: Best tool to pull from mssql

Best tool to pull from mssql

От
"Mammarelli, Joanne T"

Hi .. we’re on a hunt to locate either pgloader or the tds_fdw extension to assist us with pulling data FROM a Microsoft sql server (we’re a windows-based postgres installation).

Is this the proper way to handle the process?

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/10/2015 10:21 AM, Mammarelli, Joanne T wrote:
> Hi .. we’re on a hunt to locate either pgloader or the tds_fdw extension
> to assist us with pulling data FROM a Microsoft sql server (we’re a
> windows-based postgres installation).

So are we taking about a one time operation or continuously syncing or
something in between?

> Is this the proper way to handle the process?

Depends on the answer to the above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
"Mammarelli, Joanne T"
Дата:
Continuously syncing ..  we have database in mssql.  Ideally we'd like to connect to the mssql databases and pull out
thefields/content we required and populate that in a postgres database.

On 11/10/2015 10:21 AM, Mammarelli, Joanne T wrote:
> Hi .. we're on a hunt to locate either pgloader or the tds_fdw
> extension to assist us with pulling data FROM a Microsoft sql server
> (we're a windows-based postgres installation).

So are we taking about a one time operation or continuously syncing or something in between?

> Is this the proper way to handle the process?

Depends on the answer to the above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/10/2015 10:26 AM, Mammarelli, Joanne T wrote:
> Continuously syncing ..  we have database in mssql.  Ideally we'd like to connect to the mssql databases and pull out
thefields/content we required and populate that in a postgres database.

When all else fails you can go the ODBC route. I have done that through
Access to create a linked Postgres table that I can populate from other
data sources.

Here are some articles that seem to be doing something similar using SQL
Server and Postgres. In the article Postgres is installed on a Linux
box, but that does matter for the ODBC usage. :

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3661/creating-twoway-data-access-between-sql-server-and-postgresql--part-1/

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3662/sql-server-and-postgresql-linked-server-configuration--part-2/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
"Mammarelli, Joanne T"
Дата:
Thanks - I've been dying trying to find the software (on the windows side) for part 3 ..

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3663/sql-server-and-postgresql-foreign-data-wrapper-configuration--part-3/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/10/2015 11:06 AM, Mammarelli, Joanne T wrote:
> Thanks - I've been dying trying to find the software (on the windows side) for part 3 ..
>
> https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/3663/sql-server-and-postgresql-foreign-data-wrapper-configuration--part-3/

Another option would be to install the Postgres server in a Linux VM on
your Windows machine.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
"Mammarelli, Joanne T"
Дата:
Are there any type of 'pgadmin' like interfaces for the linux side?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/10/2015 11:13 AM, Mammarelli, Joanne T wrote:
> Are there any type of 'pgadmin' like interfaces for the linux side?

You can use pgAdmin on Windows to look at/manage Postgres servers on any
platform as long as it is reachable. You can also install pgAdmin on
Linux if you desire, but that would be redundant if you are using VM.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
taspotts
Дата:
Take a look at  Pentaho Kettle
<http://community.pentaho.com/projects/data-integration/>  .  They have a
free community edition.

I use it frequently to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres.  It has a nice
GUI for setting everything up and the transforms/jobs can be scheduled.

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
Scott Mead

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM, taspotts <t_spotts@tcdi.com> wrote:
Take a look at  Pentaho Kettle
<http://community.pentaho.com/projects/data-integration/>  .  They have a
free community edition.

+10

I use it frequently to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres.  It has a nice
GUI for setting everything up and the transforms/jobs can be scheduled.

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
"Elterman, Michael"
Дата:
SSIS can be used to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres and back.
It is native for MS SQL
You can use PG ODBC driver
or Devart ODBC driver

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM, taspotts <t_spotts@tcdi.com> wrote:
Take a look at  Pentaho Kettle
<http://community.pentaho.com/projects/data-integration/>  .  They have a
free community edition.

+10

I use it frequently to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres.  It has a nice
GUI for setting everything up and the transforms/jobs can be scheduled.

Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 10:21 AM, Mammarelli, Joanne T wrote:
>>
>> Hi .. we’re on a hunt to locate either pgloader or the tds_fdw extension
>> to assist us with pulling data FROM a Microsoft sql server (we’re a
>> windows-based postgres installation).
>
> So are we taking about a one time operation or continuously syncing or
> something in between?
>
>> Is this the proper way to handle the process?
>
> Depends on the answer to the above.

My strategy is a little unconventional.  I use pl/sh to call into sqsh
-- from there I export the data to .csv with 'go -m csv' and then load
it via 'COPY'.    This gives great performance and a dblink-ish
ability to lateral data.  If I wasn't doing that, I'd probably be
using one of the fdw approaches -- tds, jdbc, or odbc.

Any ETL tool that involves a point/click GUI or editing .xml files is
a total non-starter for me.

merlin