Re: Best tool to pull from mssql

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Best tool to pull from mssql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 10:21 AM, Mammarelli, Joanne T wrote:
>>
>> Hi .. we’re on a hunt to locate either pgloader or the tds_fdw extension
>> to assist us with pulling data FROM a Microsoft sql server (we’re a
>> windows-based postgres installation).
>
> So are we taking about a one time operation or continuously syncing or
> something in between?
>
>> Is this the proper way to handle the process?
>
> Depends on the answer to the above.

My strategy is a little unconventional.  I use pl/sh to call into sqsh
-- from there I export the data to .csv with 'go -m csv' and then load
it via 'COPY'.    This gives great performance and a dblink-ish
ability to lateral data.  If I wasn't doing that, I'd probably be
using one of the fdw approaches -- tds, jdbc, or odbc.

Any ETL tool that involves a point/click GUI or editing .xml files is
a total non-starter for me.

merlin