Обсуждение: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

How do I create a box from fields in a table?

От
Rob Richardson
Дата:
I need to determine whether a given pair of coordinates is inside a given rectangle.  According to the documentation,
PostgreSQLprovides the box and point types and a "contains" operator that will be perfect for this.  However, the
exampleprovided in the documentation only shows the creation of boxes and points from constant values.  So, the
followingquery works:

select tran_car_identification, box '((0, 1), (2, 3))' from transfer_car

But if I try to use a field from the transfer_car table, it doesn't work:

select tran_car_identification, box '((location, 1), (2, 3))' from transfer_car

That gives me an "invalid input syntax for type box" error.

How do I create a box object using data from the transfer_car table?

Thanks very much!

RobR

Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Rob Richardson
<RDRichardson@rad-con.com> wrote:
> I need to determine whether a given pair of coordinates is inside a given rectangle.  According to the documentation,
PostgreSQLprovides the box and point types and a "contains" operator that will be perfect for this.  However, the
exampleprovided in the documentation only shows the creation of boxes and points from constant values.  So, the
followingquery works:

> select tran_car_identification, box '((0, 1), (2, 3))' from transfer_car
>
> But if I try to use a field from the transfer_car table, it doesn't work:
>
> select tran_car_identification, box '((location, 1), (2, 3))' from transfer_car
>
> That gives me an "invalid input syntax for type box" error.
>
> How do I create a box object using data from the transfer_car table?

you have to construct the string.  this is somewhat baroque by modern
postgres standards but should work:

select tran_car_identification, format('((%s, 1), (2, 3))',
location)::box from transfer_car;

merlin

Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

От
Rob Richardson
Дата:
Thank you for your reply.

In my opinion, that is ugly to the point of uselessness.  I think I would rather just use simple integer arithmetic.
Itwill be easier for others to understand.

RobR

you have to construct the string.  this is somewhat baroque by modern postgres standards but should work:

select tran_car_identification, format('((%s, 1), (2, 3))', location)::box from transfer_car;

merlin

Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

Дата:
Rob Richardson <RDRichardson@rad-con.com> writes:
> In my opinion, that is ugly to the point of uselessness.

Indeed :-(

For some reason, there's no constructor function to make a box from four
floats.  But there is a box constructor that takes two points, as well
as a point constructor that takes two floats; so you could do something
like

    box(point(location, 1), point(2, 3))

            regards, tom lane

Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Rob Richardson <RDRichardson@rad-con.com> writes:
>> In my opinion, that is ugly to the point of uselessness.
>
> Indeed :-(
>
> For some reason, there's no constructor function to make a box from four
> floats.  But there is a box constructor that takes two points, as well
> as a point constructor that takes two floats; so you could do something
> like
>
>         box(point(location, 1), point(2, 3))

shoot -- I thought so -- I looked for that, and didn't find it.  hm,
perhaps the geographical type documentation needs some TLC.

merlin

Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

От
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Дата:
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:05:07 +0200
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> For some reason, there's no constructor function to make a box from
> four floats.  But there is a box constructor that takes two points,
> as well as a point constructor that takes two floats; so you could do
> something like
>
>     box(point(location, 1), point(2, 3))

Kind of makes sense anyway.  The only improvement I would make is to
allow a shortcut like this;

    box((0, 1), (2, 3))

In fact, casting an array of two floats in a point context to a point
would be a good idea anyway.  In fact, this seems to work already if
quotes are added:

    box('(0, 1), (2, 3)')

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.

Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

Дата:
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> ...  In fact, this seems to work already if
> quotes are added:

>     box('(0, 1), (2, 3)')

Well, that's just another spelling for a box literal, which is exactly
what the OP *doesn't* want, since he's trying to construct a box value
from non-constant values.

            regards, tom lane