Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: How do I create a box from fields in a table?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Rob Richardson
<RDRichardson@rad-con.com> wrote:
> I need to determine whether a given pair of coordinates is inside a given rectangle.  According to the documentation,
PostgreSQLprovides the box and point types and a "contains" operator that will be perfect for this.  However, the
exampleprovided in the documentation only shows the creation of boxes and points from constant values.  So, the
followingquery works:

> select tran_car_identification, box '((0, 1), (2, 3))' from transfer_car
>
> But if I try to use a field from the transfer_car table, it doesn't work:
>
> select tran_car_identification, box '((location, 1), (2, 3))' from transfer_car
>
> That gives me an "invalid input syntax for type box" error.
>
> How do I create a box object using data from the transfer_car table?

you have to construct the string.  this is somewhat baroque by modern
postgres standards but should work:

select tran_car_identification, format('((%s, 1), (2, 3))',
location)::box from transfer_car;

merlin

От: Rob Richardson
Сообщение: How do I create a box from fields in a table?
От: "Huang, Suya"
Сообщение: [ADMIN] what's the efficient/safest way to convert database character set ?