Обсуждение: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
Hi,

I've noticed that if I try to use generate_series to include the upper
boundary of int4, it never returns:

SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4, 2147483647::int4) AS a(x);

But the same query with int8 returns instantly:

SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int8, 2147483647::int8) AS a(x);

However, the int8 version of generate_series has the same problem.
This never returns:

SELECT x FROM generate_series(9223372036854775803::int8,
9223372036854775807::int8) AS a(x);

Another issue happens when using the lower boundaries:

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(-2147483648::int4,
-2147483644::int4) AS a(x);
ERROR:  integer out of range
postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(-9223372036854775808::int8,
-9223372036854775804::int8) AS a(x);
ERROR:  bigint out of range

I've recreated this on 9.0.1 and 9.1devel on a 64-bit platform.

Bug?

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 February 2011 00:15, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that if I try to use generate_series to include the upper
> boundary of int4, it never returns:
>
> SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4, 2147483647::int4) AS a(x);
>
> But the same query with int8 returns instantly:
>
> SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int8, 2147483647::int8) AS a(x);
>
> However, the int8 version of generate_series has the same problem.
> This never returns:
>
> SELECT x FROM generate_series(9223372036854775803::int8,
> 9223372036854775807::int8) AS a(x);
>
> Another issue happens when using the lower boundaries:
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(-2147483648::int4,
> -2147483644::int4) AS a(x);
> ERROR:  integer out of range
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(-9223372036854775808::int8,
> -9223372036854775804::int8) AS a(x);
> ERROR:  bigint out of range
>
> I've recreated this on 9.0.1 and 9.1devel on a 64-bit platform.
>
> Bug?

Actually, those lower bound errors aren't related to generate_series,
but I'd still like to know why -2147483648::int4 is out of range.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> Actually, those lower bound errors aren't related to generate_series,
> but I'd still like to know why -2147483648::int4 is out of range.

:: binds tighter than - (and everything else too).  Write
(-2147483648)::int4 instead.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 February 2011 00:36, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> Actually, those lower bound errors aren't related to generate_series,
>> but I'd still like to know why -2147483648::int4 is out of range.
>
> :: binds tighter than - (and everything else too).  Write
> (-2147483648)::int4 instead.

D'oh.  You explained this to me before.  This time I'll endeavour to
remember it.  At least that explains the problem I created for myself
with lower boundaries.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 February 2011 00:41, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 1 February 2011 00:36, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>>> Actually, those lower bound errors aren't related to generate_series,
>>> but I'd still like to know why -2147483648::int4 is out of range.
>>
>> :: binds tighter than - (and everything else too).  Write
>> (-2147483648)::int4 instead.
>
> D'oh.  You explained this to me before.  This time I'll endeavour to
> remember it.  At least that explains the problem I created for myself
> with lower boundaries.

Okay, so lower boundaries are still affected in the same way as upper
boundaries after all, at least when using a reverse series:

SELECT x FROM generate_series((-2147483644)::int4,
(-2147483648)::int4, -1) AS a(x);

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> I've noticed that if I try to use generate_series to include the upper
> boundary of int4, it never returns:

I'll bet it's testing "currval > bound" without considering the
possibility that incrementing currval caused an overflow wraparound.
We fixed a similar problem years ago in plpgsql FOR-loops...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 February 2011 01:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> I've noticed that if I try to use generate_series to include the upper
>> boundary of int4, it never returns:
>
> I'll bet it's testing "currval > bound" without considering the
> possibility that incrementing currval caused an overflow wraparound.
> We fixed a similar problem years ago in plpgsql FOR-loops...

And here's another case:

SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643, 2147483644,5) AS a(x);

A step of 1 would work fine, but forcing it to exceed the boundary in
this way means it never returns.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 February 2011 01:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> I've noticed that if I try to use generate_series to include the upper
>> boundary of int4, it never returns:
>
> I'll bet it's testing "currval > bound" without considering the
> possibility that incrementing currval caused an overflow wraparound.
> We fixed a similar problem years ago in plpgsql FOR-loops...

Yes, you're right.  Internally, the current value is checked against
the finish.  If it hasn't yet passed it, the current value is
increased by the step.  When it reaches the upper bound, since it
hasn't yet exceeded the finish, it proceeds to increment it again,
resulting in the iterator wrapping past the upper bound to become the
lower bound.  This then keeps it looping from the lower bound upward,
so the current value stays well below the end.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 1 Feb 2011, at 21:26, Thom Brown wrote:

> On 1 February 2011 01:05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>>> I've noticed that if I try to use generate_series to include the upper
>>> boundary of int4, it never returns:
>>
>> I'll bet it's testing "currval > bound" without considering the
>> possibility that incrementing currval caused an overflow wraparound.
>> We fixed a similar problem years ago in plpgsql FOR-loops...
>
> Yes, you're right.  Internally, the current value is checked against
> the finish.  If it hasn't yet passed it, the current value is
> increased by the step.  When it reaches the upper bound, since it
> hasn't yet exceeded the finish, it proceeds to increment it again,
> resulting in the iterator wrapping past the upper bound to become the
> lower bound.  This then keeps it looping from the lower bound upward,
> so the current value stays well below the end.

That could actually be used as a feature to create a repeating series. A bit more control would be useful though :P

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4d487c1211731974314558!

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 February 2011 21:32, Alban Hertroys
<dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2011, at 21:26, Thom Brown wrote:

>>> I'll bet it's testing "currval > bound" without considering the
>>> possibility that incrementing currval caused an overflow wraparound.
>>> We fixed a similar problem years ago in plpgsql FOR-loops...
>>
>> Yes, you're right.  Internally, the current value is checked against
>> the finish.  If it hasn't yet passed it, the current value is
>> increased by the step.  When it reaches the upper bound, since it
>> hasn't yet exceeded the finish, it proceeds to increment it again,
>> resulting in the iterator wrapping past the upper bound to become the
>> lower bound.  This then keeps it looping from the lower bound upward,
>> so the current value stays well below the end.
>

> That could actually be used as a feature to create a repeating series. A bit more control would be useful though :P

I don't quite understand why the code works.  As I see it, it always
returns a set with values 1 higher than the corresponding result.  So
requesting 1 to 5 actually returns 2 to 6 internally, but somehow it
correctly shows 1 to 5 in the query output.  If there were no such
discrepancy, the upper-bound/lower-bound problem wouldn't exist, so
not sure how those output values result in the correct query result
values.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 February 2011 23:08, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 1 February 2011 21:32, Alban Hertroys
> <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:

>>> Yes, you're right.  Internally, the current value is checked against
>>> the finish.  If it hasn't yet passed it, the current value is
>>> increased by the step.  When it reaches the upper bound, since it
>>> hasn't yet exceeded the finish, it proceeds to increment it again,
>>> resulting in the iterator wrapping past the upper bound to become the
>>> lower bound.  This then keeps it looping from the lower bound upward,
>>> so the current value stays well below the end.
>>

>> That could actually be used as a feature to create a repeating series. A bit more control would be useful though :P
>
> I don't quite understand why the code works.  As I see it, it always
> returns a set with values 1 higher than the corresponding result.  So
> requesting 1 to 5 actually returns 2 to 6 internally, but somehow it
> correctly shows 1 to 5 in the query output.  If there were no such
> discrepancy, the upper-bound/lower-bound problem wouldn't exist, so
> not sure how those output values result in the correct query result
> values.

Okay, I've attached a patch which fixes it.  It allows ranges up to
upper and down to lower bounds as well as accounting for the
possibility for the step to cause misalignment of the iterating value
with the end value.  The following now works which would usually get
stuck in a loop:

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4,
2147483647::int4) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483643
 2147483644
 2147483645
 2147483646
 2147483647
(5 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483642::int4,
2147483647::int4, 2) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483642
 2147483644
 2147483646
(3 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4,
2147483647::int4, 6) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483643
(1 row)

It's probably safe to assume the changes in the patch aren't up to
scratch and it's supplied for demonstration purposes only, so could
someone please use the same principals and code in the appropriate
changes?

Thanks

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Вложения

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 3 February 2011 11:31, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 1 February 2011 23:08, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> On 1 February 2011 21:32, Alban Hertroys
>> <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:

>>> That could actually be used as a feature to create a repeating series. A bit more control would be useful though :P
>>
>> I don't quite understand why the code works.  As I see it, it always
>> returns a set with values 1 higher than the corresponding result.  So
>> requesting 1 to 5 actually returns 2 to 6 internally, but somehow it
>> correctly shows 1 to 5 in the query output.  If there were no such
>> discrepancy, the upper-bound/lower-bound problem wouldn't exist, so
>> not sure how those output values result in the correct query result
>> values.
>
> Okay, I've attached a patch which fixes it.  It allows ranges up to
> upper and down to lower bounds as well as accounting for the
> possibility for the step to cause misalignment of the iterating value
> with the end value.  The following now works which would usually get
> stuck in a loop:
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4,
> 2147483647::int4) AS a(x);
> ------------
>  2147483643
>  2147483644
>  2147483645
>  2147483646
>  2147483647
> (5 rows)
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483642::int4,
> 2147483647::int4, 2) AS a(x);
> ------------
>  2147483642
>  2147483644
>  2147483646
> (3 rows)
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4,
> 2147483647::int4, 6) AS a(x);
> ------------
>  2147483643
> (1 row)
>

> It's probably safe to assume the changes in the patch aren't up to
> scratch and it's supplied for demonstration purposes only, so could
> someone please use the same principals and code in the appropriate
> changes?
>
> Thanks

And I see I accidentally included a doc change in there.  Removed and
reattached:

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Вложения

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 3 February 2011 11:34, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 3 February 2011 11:31, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> On 1 February 2011 23:08, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

>>> I don't quite understand why the code works.  As I see it, it always
>>> returns a set with values 1 higher than the corresponding result.  So
>>> requesting 1 to 5 actually returns 2 to 6 internally, but somehow it
>>> correctly shows 1 to 5 in the query output.  If there were no such
>>> discrepancy, the upper-bound/lower-bound problem wouldn't exist, so
>>> not sure how those output values result in the correct query result
>>> values.
>>
>> Okay, I've attached a patch which fixes it.  It allows ranges up to
>> upper and down to lower bounds as well as accounting for the
>> possibility for the step to cause misalignment of the iterating value
>> with the end value.  The following now works which would usually get
>> stuck in a loop:
>>
>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4,
>> 2147483647::int4) AS a(x);
>> ------------
>>  2147483643
>>  2147483644
>>  2147483645
>>  2147483646
>>  2147483647
>> (5 rows)
>>
>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483642::int4,
>> 2147483647::int4, 2) AS a(x);
>> ------------
>>  2147483642
>>  2147483644
>>  2147483646
>> (3 rows)
>>
>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(2147483643::int4,
>> 2147483647::int4, 6) AS a(x);
>> ------------
>>  2147483643
>> (1 row)
>>

>> It's probably safe to assume the changes in the patch aren't up to
>> scratch and it's supplied for demonstration purposes only, so could
>> someone please use the same principals and code in the appropriate
>> changes?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> And I see I accidentally included a doc change in there.  Removed and
> reattached:

Actually, further testing indicates this causes other problems:

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
---
 1
(1 row)

Should return no rows.

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
----
  1
  4
  7
 10
(4 rows)

Should return 3 rows.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 3 February 2011 13:32, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Actually, further testing indicates this causes other problems:
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
> ---
>  1
> (1 row)
>
> Should return no rows.
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
> ----
>  1
>  4
>  7
>  10
> (4 rows)
>
> Should return 3 rows.

Still messy code, but the attached patch does the job now:

postgres=# SELECT x FROM
generate_series(2147483643::int4,2147483647::int4) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483643
 2147483644
 2147483645
 2147483646
 2147483647
(5 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM
generate_series(2147483642::int4,2147483647::int4, 2) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483642
 2147483644
 2147483646
(3 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM
generate_series(2147483643::int4,2147483647::int4, 6) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483643
(1 row)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series((-2147483643)::int4,
(-2147483648)::int4, -1) AS a(x);
-------------
 -2147483643
 -2147483644
 -2147483645
 -2147483646
 -2147483647
 -2147483648
(6 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
---
(0 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
---
 1
 4
 7
(3 rows)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Вложения

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
"David Johnston"
Дата:
The proposed generate_series(1,9,-1) behavior seems unusual.  I think it
should throw a warning if the step direction and the start-end directions do
not match.  Alternatively, the series generated could go from 9 -> 1 instead
of returning an empty series (basically the first two arguments are simply
bounds and the step sign determines which is upper and which is lower).  The
result where the set contains the sole member { 1 } makes sense to me in
that you wanted to start with 1 and then increment by -1 until you are
either less-than 1 or greater-than 9; which is the same thing you are doing
when you have a positive step value and always treat the first argument as
the initial value.  With that behavior you are ALWAYS returning the first
argument, then stepping, then returning any other argument that still fall
within the range.  If you do not return the first argument you are
implicitly starting with zero (0) and incrementing and then seeing whether
the first step falls inside the specified range.

David J

> Actually, further testing indicates this causes other problems:
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
> ---
>  1
> (1 row)
>
> Should return no rows.
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
> ----
>  1
>  4
>  7
>  10
> (4 rows)
>
> Should return 3 rows.

Still messy code, but the attached patch does the job now:

postgres=# SELECT x FROM
generate_series(2147483643::int4,2147483647::int4) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483643
 2147483644
 2147483645
 2147483646
 2147483647
(5 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM
generate_series(2147483642::int4,2147483647::int4, 2) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483642
 2147483644
 2147483646
(3 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM
generate_series(2147483643::int4,2147483647::int4, 6) AS a(x);
------------
 2147483643
(1 row)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series((-2147483643)::int4,
(-2147483648)::int4, -1) AS a(x);
-------------
 -2147483643
 -2147483644
 -2147483645
 -2147483646
 -2147483647
 -2147483648
(6 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);  x
---
(0 rows)

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);  x
---
 1
 4
 7
(3 rows)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 3 February 2011 14:37, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The proposed generate_series(1,9,-1) behavior seems unusual.

I haven't proposed this behaviour as it already occurs.  I just
include it for testing to ensure no other part of generate series is
affected by such changes.  Whether or not that is desired behaviour is
separate as I only wish to fix the bug.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 3 February 2011 13:58, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 3 February 2011 13:32, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Actually, further testing indicates this causes other problems:
>>
>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
>> ---
>>  1
>> (1 row)
>>
>> Should return no rows.
>>
>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
>> ----
>>  1
>>  4
>>  7
>>  10
>> (4 rows)
>>
>> Should return 3 rows.
>
> Still messy code, but the attached patch does the job now:
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM
> generate_series(2147483643::int4,2147483647::int4) AS a(x);
> ------------
>  2147483643
>  2147483644
>  2147483645
>  2147483646
>  2147483647
> (5 rows)
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM
> generate_series(2147483642::int4,2147483647::int4, 2) AS a(x);
> ------------
>  2147483642
>  2147483644
>  2147483646
> (3 rows)
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM
> generate_series(2147483643::int4,2147483647::int4, 6) AS a(x);
> ------------
>  2147483643
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series((-2147483643)::int4,
> (-2147483648)::int4, -1) AS a(x);
> -------------
>  -2147483643
>  -2147483644
>  -2147483645
>  -2147483646
>  -2147483647
>  -2147483648
> (6 rows)
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
> ---
> (0 rows)
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
> ---
>  1
>  4
>  7
> (3 rows)

Copying to -hackers.

The issue is that generate_series will not return if the series hits
either the upper or lower boundary during increment, or goes beyond
it.  The attached patch fixes this behaviour, but should probably be
done a better way.  The first 3 examples above will not return.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Вложения

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Itagaki Takahiro
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 21:32, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> The issue is that generate_series will not return if the series hits
> either the upper or lower boundary during increment, or goes beyond
> it.  The attached patch fixes this behaviour, but should probably be
> done a better way.  The first 3 examples above will not return.

There are same bug in int8 and timestamp[tz] versions.
We also need fix for them.
=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(9223372036854775807::int8,
9223372036854775807::int8) AS a(x);
=# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamp, 'infinity', '1
sec') AS a(x);
=# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamptz, 'infinity',
'1 sec') AS a(x);

> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
They work as expected in 9.1dev.

--
Itagaki Takahiro

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 February 2011 09:04, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 21:32, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> The issue is that generate_series will not return if the series hits
>> either the upper or lower boundary during increment, or goes beyond
>> it.  The attached patch fixes this behaviour, but should probably be
>> done a better way.  The first 3 examples above will not return.
>
> There are same bug in int8 and timestamp[tz] versions.
> We also need fix for them.
> =# SELECT x FROM generate_series(9223372036854775807::int8,
> 9223372036854775807::int8) AS a(x);

Yes, of course, int8 functions are separate.  I attach an updated
patch, although I still think there's a better way of doing this.

> =# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamp, 'infinity', '1
> sec') AS a(x);
> =# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamptz, 'infinity',
> '1 sec') AS a(x);

I'm not sure how this should be handled.  Should there just be a check
for either kind of infinity and return an error if that's the case?  I
didn't find anything wrong with using timestamp boundaries:

postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series('1 Jan 4713 BC
00:00:00'::timestamp, '1 Jan 4713 BC 00:00:05'::timestamp, '1 sec') AS
a(x);
------------------------
 4713-01-01 00:00:00 BC
 4713-01-01 00:00:01 BC
 4713-01-01 00:00:02 BC
 4713-01-01 00:00:03 BC
 4713-01-01 00:00:04 BC
 4713-01-01 00:00:05 BC
(6 rows)

Although whether this demonstrates a true timestamp boundary, I'm not sure.

>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
> They work as expected in 9.1dev.

Those 2 were to demonstrate that the changes don't affect existing
functionality.  My previous patch proposal (v2) caused these to return
unexpected output.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Вложения

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Itagaki Takahiro
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 20:38, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Yes, of course, int8 functions are separate.  I attach an updated
> patch, although I still think there's a better way of doing this.

Thanks. Please add the patch to the *current* commitfest
because it's a bugfix.
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=9

I've not tested the patch yet, but if we could drop the following
line in the patch, the code could be much cleaner.
  /* ensure first value in series should exist */

> I'm not sure how this should be handled.  Should there just be a check
> for either kind of infinity and return an error if that's the case?  I

Maybe so. It also works if we had infinity on timestamp overflow, but
I've not tested yet.  Anyway, we need similar fix for timestamp versions.

--
Itagaki Takahiro

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 8 February 2011 09:22, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 20:38, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Yes, of course, int8 functions are separate.  I attach an updated
>> patch, although I still think there's a better way of doing this.
>
> Thanks. Please add the patch to the *current* commitfest
> because it's a bugfix.
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=9
>
> I've not tested the patch yet, but if we could drop the following
> line in the patch, the code could be much cleaner.
>  /* ensure first value in series should exist */
>
>> I'm not sure how this should be handled.  Should there just be a check
>> for either kind of infinity and return an error if that's the case?  I
>
> Maybe so. It also works if we had infinity on timestamp overflow, but
> I've not tested yet.  Anyway, we need similar fix for timestamp versions.

Well, in its current state, I expect it to get rejected, but I guess
at least it gets a better chance of being looked at.  I've added it to
the commitfest now.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 02/07/2011 06:38 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 7 February 2011 09:04, Itagaki Takahiro<itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 21:32, Thom Brown<thom@linux.com>  wrote:
>>> The issue is that generate_series will not return if the series hits
>>> either the upper or lower boundary during increment, or goes beyond
>>> it.  The attached patch fixes this behaviour, but should probably be
>>> done a better way.  The first 3 examples above will not return.
>> There are same bug in int8 and timestamp[tz] versions.
>> We also need fix for them.
>> =# SELECT x FROM generate_series(9223372036854775807::int8,
>> 9223372036854775807::int8) AS a(x);
> Yes, of course, int8 functions are separate.  I attach an updated
> patch, although I still think there's a better way of doing this.
>
>> =# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamp, 'infinity', '1
>> sec') AS a(x);
>> =# SELECT x FROM generate_series('infinity'::timestamptz, 'infinity',
>> '1 sec') AS a(x);
> I'm not sure how this should be handled.  Should there just be a check
> for either kind of infinity and return an error if that's the case?  I
> didn't find anything wrong with using timestamp boundaries:
>
> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series('1 Jan 4713 BC
> 00:00:00'::timestamp, '1 Jan 4713 BC 00:00:05'::timestamp, '1 sec') AS
> a(x);
> ------------------------
>   4713-01-01 00:00:00 BC
>   4713-01-01 00:00:01 BC
>   4713-01-01 00:00:02 BC
>   4713-01-01 00:00:03 BC
>   4713-01-01 00:00:04 BC
>   4713-01-01 00:00:05 BC
> (6 rows)
>
> Although whether this demonstrates a true timestamp boundary, I'm not sure.
>
>>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,-1) AS a(x);
>>> postgres=# SELECT x FROM generate_series(1, 9,3) AS a(x);
>> They work as expected in 9.1dev.
> Those 2 were to demonstrate that the changes don't affect existing
> functionality.  My previous patch proposal (v2) caused these to return
> unexpected output.

Isn't this all really a bug fix that should be backpatched, rather than
a commitfest item?

cheers

andrew

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Itagaki Takahiro
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:17, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Isn't this all really a bug fix that should be backpatched, rather than a
> commitfest item?

Sure, but we don't have any bug trackers...

--
Itagaki Takahiro

On 02/08/2011 08:19 PM, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:17, Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  wrote:
>> Isn't this all really a bug fix that should be backpatched, rather than a
>> commitfest item?
> Sure, but we don't have any bug trackers...

Quite right, but the commitfest manager isn't meant to be a substitute
for one. Bug fixes aren't subject to the same restrictions of feature
changes.

cheers

andrew

Re: Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Glenn Maynard
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> Actually, those lower bound errors aren't related to generate_series,
> but I'd still like to know why -2147483648::int4 is out of range.

:: binds tighter than - (and everything else too).  Write
(-2147483648)::int4 instead.

That's surprising enough that it might be worth generating a warning if the typecasting operator is used on a mathmatical expression--"a - b::int4"--rather than a single value (eg. "(a - b)::int4" or "f()::int4").  I don't know the grammar to know if that fits.

--
Glenn Maynard

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Quite right, but the commitfest manager isn't meant to be a substitute for
> one. Bug fixes aren't subject to the same restrictions of feature changes.

Another option would be to add this here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Open_Items

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 9 February 2011 02:11, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> Quite right, but the commitfest manager isn't meant to be a substitute for
>> one. Bug fixes aren't subject to the same restrictions of feature changes.
>
> Another option would be to add this here:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Open_Items

I've removed it from the commitfest because it really doesn't belong
there, and I've added it to the open items list.

Thanks

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2011 02:11, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> Quite right, but the commitfest manager isn't meant to be a substitute for
>>> one. Bug fixes aren't subject to the same restrictions of feature changes.
>>
>> Another option would be to add this here:
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Open_Items
>
> I've removed it from the commitfest because it really doesn't belong
> there, and I've added it to the open items list.

So, I finally got around to look at this, and I think there is a
simpler solution.  When an overflow occurs while calculating the next
value, that just means that the value we're about to return is the
last one that should be generated.  So we just need to frob the
context state so that the next call will decide we're done.  There are
any of number of ways to do that; I just picked what looked like the
easiest one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So, I finally got around to look at this, and I think there is a
>> simpler solution.  When an overflow occurs while calculating the next
>> value, that just means that the value we're about to return is the
>> last one that should be generated.  So we just need to frob the
>> context state so that the next call will decide we're done.  There are
>> any of number of ways to do that; I just picked what looked like the
>> easiest one.
>
> +1 for this solution.
>
> BTW, there was some mention of changing the timestamp versions of
> generate_series as well, but right offhand I'm not convinced that
> those need any change.  I think you'll get overflow detection there
> automatically from the functions being used --- and if not, it's a
> bug in those functions, not in generate_series.

Maybe not, because those functions probably throw an error if an
overflow is detected, and that's not really correct.  By definition,
the second generate_series() is the point at which we should stop
generating, and that point has to be within the range of the
underlying data type, by definition.  So if an overflow occurs, that's
just another way of saying that we've certainly gone past the stop
point and needn't generate anything further.  The error is an artifact
of the method we've used to generate the next point.

I'm not sure how much energy it's worth expending on that case.  Using
really large dates may be less common that using values that strain
the range of a 4-byte integer.  But it might at least be worth a TODO.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

Дата:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> BTW, there was some mention of changing the timestamp versions of
>> generate_series as well, but right offhand I'm not convinced that
>> those need any change. �I think you'll get overflow detection there
>> automatically from the functions being used --- and if not, it's a
>> bug in those functions, not in generate_series.

> Maybe not, because those functions probably throw an error if an
> overflow is detected, and that's not really correct.

Oh, good point.

> I'm not sure how much energy it's worth expending on that case.  Using
> really large dates may be less common that using values that strain
> the range of a 4-byte integer.  But it might at least be worth a TODO.

Yeah, I can't get excited about it either; restructuring that code
enough to avoid an error seems like a lot more work than the case is
worth.  Maybe someday somebody will hit the case in practice and then
be motivated to work on it, but in the meantime ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

Дата:
> So, I finally got around to look at this, and I think there is a
> simpler solution.  When an overflow occurs while calculating the next
> value, that just means that the value we're about to return is the
> last one that should be generated.  So we just need to frob the
> context state so that the next call will decide we're done.  There are
> any of number of ways to do that; I just picked what looked like the
> easiest one.

+1 for this solution.

BTW, there was some mention of changing the timestamp versions of
generate_series as well, but right offhand I'm not convinced that
those need any change.  I think you'll get overflow detection there
automatically from the functions being used --- and if not, it's a
bug in those functions, not in generate_series.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Tangential comment but have you considered emitting a warning (and/or log
> entry) when you are 10,000-50,000 away from issuing the last available
> number in the sequence so that some recognition exists that any code
> depending on the sequence is going to fail soon?
>
> Also, during sequence creation you know the integer type being used so that
> maximum value is known and an overflow should not need to come into play (I
> guess the trade-off is the implicit "try-catch" [or whatever mechanism C
> uses] performance hit versus the need to store another full integer in the
> data structure).
>
> You could also give access to the "warning threshold" value so that the
> developer can change it to whatever value is desired (with a meaningful
> default of course).

There are already tools out there that can monitor this stuff - for
example, check_postgres.pl.

http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/check_postgres.pl.html#sequence

We tend to avoid emitting warnings for this kind of thing because they
can consume vast amounts of disk space, and a lot of times no one's
looking at them anyway.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
"David Johnston"

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> > On 9 February 2011 02:11, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> feature changes.
> >>
> >> Another option would be to add this here:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Open_Items
> >
> > I've removed it from the commitfest because it really doesn't belong
> > there, and I've added it to the open items list.
>
> So, I finally got around to look at this, and I think there is a simpler
solution.
> When an overflow occurs while calculating the next value, that just means
> that the value we're about to return is the last one that should be
generated.
> So we just need to frob the context state so that the next call will
decide
> we're done.  There are any of number of ways to do that; I just picked
what
> looked like the easiest one.

Tangential comment but have you considered emitting a warning (and/or log
entry) when you are 10,000-50,000 away from issuing the last available
number in the sequence so that some recognition exists that any code
depending on the sequence is going to fail soon?

Also, during sequence creation you know the integer type being used so that
maximum value is known and an overflow should not need to come into play (I
guess the trade-off is the implicit "try-catch" [or whatever mechanism C
uses] performance hit versus the need to store another full integer in the
data structure).

You could also give access to the "warning threshold" value so that the
developer can change it to whatever value is desired (with a meaningful
default of course).

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 17 June 2011 04:44, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another option would be to add this here:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.1_Open_Items
>>
>> I've removed it from the commitfest because it really doesn't belong
>> there, and I've added it to the open items list.
>
> So, I finally got around to look at this, and I think there is a
> simpler solution.  When an overflow occurs while calculating the next
> value, that just means that the value we're about to return is the
> last one that should be generated.  So we just need to frob the
> context state so that the next call will decide we're done.  There are
> any of number of ways to do that; I just picked what looked like the
> easiest one.

I knew there'd be a much simpler way of solving this.  Works for me.

Thanks Robert.