Re: [GENERAL] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Issues with generate_series using integer boundaries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> BTW, there was some mention of changing the timestamp versions of
>> generate_series as well, but right offhand I'm not convinced that
>> those need any change. �I think you'll get overflow detection there
>> automatically from the functions being used --- and if not, it's a
>> bug in those functions, not in generate_series.

> Maybe not, because those functions probably throw an error if an
> overflow is detected, and that's not really correct.

Oh, good point.

> I'm not sure how much energy it's worth expending on that case.  Using
> really large dates may be less common that using values that strain
> the range of a 4-byte integer.  But it might at least be worth a TODO.

Yeah, I can't get excited about it either; restructuring that code
enough to avoid an error seems like a lot more work than the case is
worth.  Maybe someday somebody will hit the case in practice and then
be motivated to work on it, but in the meantime ...