From: tamanna madaan
Sent: Fri 8/20/2010 11:54 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: error while autovacuuming

Hi All

I am using a cluster setup with two nodes in it . postgres version is 8.1.2 and slony 1.1.5 is being used for replication.
I have autovacuum enabled. But it was  giving the following error while vacuuming template0 database.

2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC LOG: autovacuum: processing database "template0"
2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC ERROR: could not access status of transaction 3222599682
2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0C01": No such file or directory

Because of this error autovacuum is not able to process other databses in postgres including my databse 'my_database'.
which is causing database to slow down.

I googled about this problem and found that this may be because of some data corruption. But I don't see any source of data corruption
in my database. Can anyone please let me know what could be causing this error. We generally don't use template0 database.
So what could be causing this data corruption.

Following below steps have solved the problem  for now :

 1.  set 'datallowconn' to true for template0 database in pg_database table.
 2. Stop postgres
 3. create a zero filled 0C01 file in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog folder.
 4. start postgres
 5. Execute `vacuum freeze` for all the databases i.e template0 , template1, postgres and my_database
 6. set 'datallowconn' to false for template0 database in pg_database table.

But I doubt if the problem has been solved permanently or it can reapper again. If it has been solved permanenlty then how.
I just created a zero filled 0C01 file of 256 K size. It doesn't have any meaningful data. How this can resolve the problem permanently??

Please reply ...

Thanks...
Tamanna

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Amitabh Kant
Дата:

2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC LOG: autovacuum: processing database "template0"
2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC ERROR: could not access status of transaction 3222599682
2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0C01": No such file or directory

[...]

Any chance you can upgrade your version to 8.4.x series? If I am not wrong, there has been a significant change in autovaccum between the versions. In case you cannot, I would still suggest you to update your version to 8.1.21 which should atleast cover any known bugs.

With regards

Amitabh

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from tamanna madaan's message of vie ago 27 05:51:16 -0400 2010:

> I am using a cluster setup with two nodes in it . postgres version is 8.1.2 and slony 1.1.5 is being used for
replication.
> I have autovacuum enabled. But it was  giving the following error while vacuuming template0 database.
>
> 2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC LOG: autovacuum: processing database "template0"
> 2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC ERROR: could not access status of transaction 3222599682
> 2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0C01": No such file or directory

At the very least, update to 8.1.21.  I think this may have been caused
by a bug fixed years ago in 8.1.6.

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"

Hi All

Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using i.e
postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??

Please reply

Thanks...
Tamanna

2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC LOG: autovacuum: processing database "template0"
2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC ERROR: could not access status of transaction
3222599682
2010-08-18 18:36:14 UTC DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0C01": No
such file or directory

[...]

Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, tamanna madaan
<tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
> autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using i.e
> postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??
>
> Please reply

If you look up the docs on diff and patch, you can easily make your
own from the source code.  I'm not doing it, wanting to stay on a bug
ridden release by applying a single patch is insane.

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Sep 8, 2010, at 16:15 , Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, tamanna madaan
> <tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi All
>>
>> Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
>> autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using i.e
>> postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??
>>
>> Please reply
>
> If you look up the docs on diff and patch, you can easily make your
> own from the source code.  I'm not doing it, wanting to stay on a bug
> ridden release by applying a single patch is insane.

Not only that, but the to upgrade to 8.1.21 would require less work (and the same downtime) as to apply the patch.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 09/08/10 12:11 PM, tamanna madaan wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
> autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using i.e
> postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??
>
> Please reply

here's a few good reasons to not even THINK of doing what you're
describing...

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-3.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-4.html

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-4.html>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-5.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-6.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-7.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-8.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-9.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-10.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-11.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-12.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-13.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-14.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-15.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-16.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-17.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-18.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-19.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-20.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-1-21.html

Now, sure, many of those fixes are for obscure things which may never
effect you.     Do you really want to take the chance that none of those
fixes could avoid catastrophic problems?

an upgrade from 8.1.2 is as simple as shutting down your server,
installing the latest 8.1.21, restarting your server, and, to be safe
per the release notes for 8.1.15 and 8.1.18, doing a reindexdb -a

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"
Дата:
Hi All

Thanks for your reply .

Actually, I have a cluster setup with two nodes in it. I am having
postgres-8.1.2 and am using  slony-1.1.5 for replication between two
nodes in that cluster. Now,  If I plan to upgrade both the servers to
postgres-8.1.21, I will be doing it one by one . When one system is
upgraded to postgres-8.1.21 , other will still be on postgres-8.1.2
until its also upgraded.

So I was just wondering if  there wont be any issue with replication
using slony-1.1.5 from postgres-8.1.2 to postgres-8.1.21 .

Second question : Will slony 1.1.5 work with postgres-8.1.21 or I'll
have to upgrade slony as well.

Is there any compatibility matrix between slony and postgres . where can
I find that ??

Please Reply ...

Thanks...
Tamanna

On Sep 8, 2010, at 16:15 , Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, tamanna madaan
> <tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi All
>>
>> Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
>> autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using
i.e
>> postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??
>>
>> Please reply
>
> If you look up the docs on diff and patch, you can easily make your
> own from the source code.  I'm not doing it, wanting to stay on a bug
> ridden release by applying a single patch is insane.

Not only that, but the to upgrade to 8.1.21 would require less work (and
the same downtime) as to apply the patch.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from tamanna madaan's message of mié sep 08 17:10:23 -0400 2010:

> Actually, I have a cluster setup with two nodes in it. I am having
> postgres-8.1.2 and am using  slony-1.1.5 for replication between two
> nodes in that cluster. Now,  If I plan to upgrade both the servers to
> postgres-8.1.21, I will be doing it one by one . When one system is
> upgraded to postgres-8.1.21 , other will still be on postgres-8.1.2
> until its also upgraded.
>
> So I was just wondering if  there wont be any issue with replication
> using slony-1.1.5 from postgres-8.1.2 to postgres-8.1.21 .
>
> Second question : Will slony 1.1.5 work with postgres-8.1.21 or I'll
> have to upgrade slony as well.

8.1.21 is identical to 8.1.2 as far as Slony is concerned.  It just
contains a few bug fixes, such as the one that affects you.

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"
Дата:
Hi All

Can I upgrade directly to postgres-8.4 . I think it would also be having
the fix for "autovacuum error" which is there in postgres-8.1.6 . But
please confirm .

Thanks..
Tamanna

On Sep 8, 2010, at 16:15 , Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, tamanna madaan
> <tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi All
>>
>> Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
>> autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using
i.e
>> postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??
>>
>> Please reply
>
> If you look up the docs on diff and patch, you can easily make your
> own from the source code.  I'm not doing it, wanting to stay on a bug
> ridden release by applying a single patch is insane.

Not only that, but the to upgrade to 8.1.21 would require less work (and
the same downtime) as to apply the patch.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from tamanna madaan's message of jue sep 09 09:55:01 -0400 2010:
> Hi All
>
> Can I upgrade directly to postgres-8.4 . I think it would also be having
> the fix for "autovacuum error" which is there in postgres-8.1.6 . But
> please confirm .

An upgrade to 8.4 is going to be much more complex and time-consuming.
I suggest you upgrade to 8.1.21 immediately and consider migrating to
8.4.latest as a longer-term project.

Note: you need to do a VACUUM FREEZE on template0, regardless of
upgrading.

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"
Дата:
Hi Scott

Sorry to bug you again.

I know that upgrading to postgres-8.1.21 will be my best bet. But I have
my own limitations because of which I just want to apply a patch with a
single fix which is for autovacuum error.

But I don't know how to go about it . Can you please let me know
Where I can find the information about this fix and code changes done
for this fix.

Thanks..
Tamanna

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, tamanna madaan
<tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
> autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using
i.e
> postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??
>
> Please reply

If you look up the docs on diff and patch, you can easily make your
own from the source code.  I'm not doing it, wanting to stay on a bug
ridden release by applying a single patch is insane.

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:53:10AM +0530, tamanna madaan wrote:
> Hi Scott
>
> Sorry to bug you again.
>
> I know that upgrading to postgres-8.1.21 will be my best bet. But I
> have my own limitations because of which I just want to apply a
> patch with a single fix which is for autovacuum error.

Your idea is silly.  Change the binary, restart, and have done.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 02:35:29AM +0530, tamanna madaan wrote:
> Hi David
>
> You mean to say , change the binary to postgres-8.1.21 and then restart
> postgres . that's it ?? please confirm..

Yes. :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"
Дата:
Hi David

You mean to say , change the binary to postgres-8.1.21 and then restart
postgres . that's it ?? please confirm..

Thanks..
Tamanna

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:53:10AM +0530, tamanna madaan wrote:
> Hi Scott
>
> Sorry to bug you again.
>
> I know that upgrading to postgres-8.1.21 will be my best bet. But I
> have my own limitations because of which I just want to apply a
> patch with a single fix which is for autovacuum error.

Your idea is silly.  Change the binary, restart, and have done.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 02:35:29AM +0530, tamanna madaan wrote:
> Hi David
>
> You mean to say , change the binary to postgres-8.1.21 and then
restart
> postgres . that's it ?? please confirm..

Yes. :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 09/10/2010 05:05 AM, tamanna madaan wrote:
> Hi David
>
> You mean to say , change the binary to postgres-8.1.21 and then restart
> postgres . that's it ?? please confirm..

Strictly, you should install the whole of PostgreSQL 8.1.21, replacing
your old installation of the older version.

Replacing just postgres.exe is unsafe. It might work, but if you don't
replace the associated DLLs and plugins it might cause problems,
possibly severe ones.

I think David's intended point was that PostgreSQL 8.1.21 is a
bugfix-only update from your old version. It introduces no new features
or unnecessary changes, and contains only fixes for bugs. It is a very,
very safe update and is well tested; it's a **LOT** safer than trying to
roll your own.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"
Дата:
Hi All

I am planning to upgrade  postgres to avoid this autovacuum problem.

From the release notes of postgres-8.1.x it seems this issue
has been solved in postgres-8.1.6 and hence upgrading
to latest 8.1 release i.e 8.1.21 will solve this issue.

But I was just wondering if postgres-8.4 will also be having this fix
(as I couldn't find it in release notes of postgres-8.4).

I directly wanted to upgrade to postgres-8.4 so as to avoid all the
issue
that are already fixed and that's why wanted to check if this will also
solve issue with autovacuum.

Can you please confirm that ..

Thanks...
Tamanna

On Sep 8, 2010, at 16:15 , Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM, tamanna madaan
> <tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi All
>>
>> Can a postgres patch for the fix ( provided in postgres-8.1.6 for
>> autovacuum error ) be included with the postgres version I am using
i.e
>> postgres 8.1.2 so that I don't have to upgrade to 8.1.21 ??
>>
>> Please reply
>
> If you look up the docs on diff and patch, you can easily make your
> own from the source code.  I'm not doing it, wanting to stay on a bug
> ridden release by applying a single patch is insane.

Not only that, but the to upgrade to 8.1.21 would require less work (and
the same downtime) as to apply the patch.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM, tamanna madaan
<tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am planning to upgrade  postgres to avoid this autovacuum problem.
>
> From the release notes of postgres-8.1.x it seems this issue
> has been solved in postgres-8.1.6 and hence upgrading
> to latest 8.1 release i.e 8.1.21 will solve this issue.
>
> But I was just wondering if postgres-8.4 will also be having this fix
> (as I couldn't find it in release notes of postgres-8.4).

8.4 has much better autovacuuming, seeing as it's multithreaded and
you can have a lot more control over how it behaves.  This fix is
definitely in 8.4 and 8.3, or should I say the bug you hit was long
gone by the time the 8.4 branch was cut.

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
"tamanna madaan"
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM, tamanna madaan
<tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am planning to upgrade  postgres to avoid this autovacuum problem.
>
> From the release notes of postgres-8.1.x it seems this issue
> has been solved in postgres-8.1.6 and hence upgrading
> to latest 8.1 release i.e 8.1.21 will solve this issue.
>
> But I was just wondering if postgres-8.4 will also be having this fix
> (as I couldn't find it in release notes of postgres-8.4).

8.4 has much better autovacuuming, seeing as it's multithreaded and
you can have a lot more control over how it behaves.  This fix is
definitely in 8.4 and 8.3, or should I say the bug you hit was long
gone by the time the 8.4 branch was cut.

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 2/10/2010 5:44 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM, tamanna madaan
> <tamanna.madan@globallogic.com>  wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am planning to upgrade  postgres to avoid this autovacuum problem.
>>
>>  From the release notes of postgres-8.1.x it seems this issue
>> has been solved in postgres-8.1.6 and hence upgrading
>> to latest 8.1 release i.e 8.1.21 will solve this issue.
>>
>> But I was just wondering if postgres-8.4 will also be having this fix
>> (as I couldn't find it in release notes of postgres-8.4).
>
> 8.4 has much better autovacuuming, seeing as it's multithreaded and
> you can have a lot more control over how it behaves.  This fix is
> definitely in 8.4 and 8.3, or should I say the bug you hit was long
> gone by the time the 8.4 branch was cut.

OP: Do be aware that if you jump straight to 8.4, there are some
incompatibilities that may require changes to your code. The one people
seem to be bitten by most frequently is the removal of implicit casts to
text:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-3.html

... but, in general, you should read the release notes for each major
version and see if you need to change anything to achieve a smooth upgrade.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: error while autovacuuming

От
Gurjeet Singh
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM, tamanna madaan
I am planning to upgrade  postgres to avoid this autovacuum problem.

 From the release notes of postgres-8.1.x it seems this issue
[...]

I think, from the beginning the OP has been  unaware of the fact that upgrading to latest minor release does not require a huge effort, and that it involves very low risk of breaking any applications, Slony or otherwise.

OP should have been pointed to our versioning policy at http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning  . That would have kept this thread very short.

gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company
http://www.EnterpriseDB.com