Re: error while autovacuuming

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: error while autovacuuming
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
On 2/10/2010 5:44 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM, tamanna madaan
<tamanna.madan@globallogic.com>  wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to upgrade  postgres to avoid this autovacuum problem.

 From the release notes of postgres-8.1.x it seems this issue
has been solved in postgres-8.1.6 and hence upgrading
to latest 8.1 release i.e 8.1.21 will solve this issue.

But I was just wondering if postgres-8.4 will also be having this fix
(as I couldn't find it in release notes of postgres-8.4).

8.4 has much better autovacuuming, seeing as it's multithreaded and
you can have a lot more control over how it behaves.  This fix is
definitely in 8.4 and 8.3, or should I say the bug you hit was long
gone by the time the 8.4 branch was cut.

OP: Do be aware that if you jump straight to 8.4, there are some incompatibilities that may require changes to your code. The one people seem to be bitten by most frequently is the removal of implicit casts to text:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-8-3.html

... but, in general, you should read the release notes for each major version and see if you need to change anything to achieve a smooth upgrade.

I think, from the beginning the OP has been  unaware of the fact that upgrading to latest minor release does not require a huge effort, and that it involves very low risk of breaking any applications, Slony or otherwise.

OP should have been pointed to our versioning policy at http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning  . That would have kept this thread very short.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Сообщение: Re: Streaming Recovery - Automated Monitoring
Сообщение: Re: Streaming Recovery - Automated Monitoring