Обсуждение: Problems building from source

Problems building from source

От
"Bidski"

Hi all,

I recently had some problems with a pre-built version of PostgreSQL and so I decided to try and build my own copy from source, but have run into even more problems.

I downloaded a copy of the source, unpacked it into a directory and had a quick look at the possible configure options (./configure --help) just to see if anything specific caught my eye. The only thing I saw was --with-gnu-ld. So I ran configure in the postgresql src root directory as ./configure --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/mingw. I got as far as the zlib checks when configure told me that I didnt have zlib installed (a quick look at my files confirmed this), so I went to www.zlib.net and downloaded version 1.2.5 (this appears to be the latest), I then built and installed this. Running configure again (with the same options) gave me a wonderful error.

    configure: error: zlib version is too old
    Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.

How can the latest version be too old????? Seeing this, I uninstalled that version and went in search of other versions. The versions I found may not have been newer (may have been older) but I tried them anyways, all with the same results, apparently all versions were too old. The other versions I found were on the MinGW/MSYS download site (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/), I tried the most recent versions listed on there.

Faced with that, I then changed my configure line to be ./configure --prefix=/mingw --with-gnu-ld --without-zlib (who needs zlib anyways, right?). Now I was thinking that surely this would be the end of it and I would soon have a fully built version of PostgreSQL ........ sadly not. I now get this error.

    checking for atexit... yes
    checking test program... failed
    configure: error:
    Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
    related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
    for the exact reason.

And now I have no idea. I had a look at config.log and to find this.

    configure:21835: checking for atexit
    configure:21891: gcc -qlanglvl=extc89 -o conftest.exe -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv  -I./src/include/port/win32 -DEXEC_BACKEND  -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition  conftest.c  >&5
    gcc.exe: unrecognized option '-qlanglvl=extc89'
    configure:21898: $? = 0
    configure:21920: result: yes
    configure:23234: checking test program
    configure:23254: gcc -qlanglvl=extc89 -o conftest.exe -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv  -I./src/include/port/win32 -DEXEC_BACKEND  -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition  conftest.c  >&5
    gcc.exe: unrecognized option '-qlanglvl=extc89'
    configure:23258: $? = 0
    configure:23264: ./conftest.exe
    ./configure: line 23266: ./conftest.exe: Invalid argument
    configure:23268: $? = 126
    configure: program exited with status 126
    configure: failed program was:

Having a look at line 23266 of configure and Im lost (never could understand those things).

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I have built other libraries/packages with this toolchain (wxWidgets, xerces-c, boost), so I dont think it is broken.

Some system info.....

OS: Windows 7 64-bit

MSYS ver: 1.0.14

MinGW ver: 4.5.0

Make ver: GNU make 3.81

If it matters ..... My IDE is Eclipse Galileo and I am compiling my project using the MinGW toolchain.

If you need any more info just let me know.

Regards

Bidski

Re: Problems building from source

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 00:30, Bidski <bidski@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently had some problems with a pre-built version of PostgreSQL and so I
> decided to try and build my own copy from source, but have run into even
> more problems.
>
> I downloaded a copy of the source, unpacked it into a directory and had a
> quick look at the possible configure options (./configure --help) just to
> see if anything specific caught my eye. The only thing I saw was
> --with-gnu-ld. So I ran configure in the postgresql src root directory as
> ./configure --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/mingw. I got as far as the zlib checks
> when configure told me that I didnt have zlib installed (a quick look at my
> files confirmed this), so I went to www.zlib.net and downloaded version
> 1.2.5 (this appears to be the latest), I then built and installed this.
> Running configure again (with the same options) gave me a wonderful error.
>
>     configure: error: zlib version is too old
>     Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.
>
> How can the latest version be too old????? Seeing this, I uninstalled that
> version and went in search of other versions. The versions I found may not
> have been newer (may have been older) but I tried them anyways, all with the
> same results, apparently all versions were too old. The other versions I
> found were on the MinGW/MSYS download site
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/), I tried the most recent
> versions listed on there.

More likely, it's not finding the right one. Probably it's picking up
some completely different version of it because it's earlier in the
search path.

> Faced with that, I then changed my configure line to be ./configure
> --prefix=/mingw --with-gnu-ld --without-zlib (who needs zlib anyways,
> right?). Now I was thinking that surely this would be the end of it and I
> would soon have a fully built version of PostgreSQL ........ sadly not. I
> now get this error.
>
>     checking for atexit... yes
>     checking test program... failed
>     configure: error:
>     Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
>     related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
>     for the exact reason.

Is mingw even fully supported on 64-bit today?

64-bit PostgreSQL builds isn't - it "should just work", but I don't
believe anybody has ever tried it. But this error shows a much more
fundamental problem than the PostgreSQL code, and you need to get that
solved first.

Any particular reason why you don't want to build with the supported
toolset, which is the Microsoft (free) compilers? (See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/install-win32-full.html)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Problems building from source

Дата:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 00:30, Bidski <bidski@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> ����configure: error: zlib version is too old
>> ����Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.
>>
>> How can the latest version be too old??

> More likely, it's not finding the right one. Probably it's picking up
> some completely different version of it because it's earlier in the
> search path.

Look at the configure.in source code:

if test "$with_zlib" = yes; then
  # Check that <zlib.h> defines z_streamp (versions before about 1.0.4
  # did not).  While we could work around the lack of z_streamp, it
  # seems unwise to encourage people to use such old zlib versions...
  AC_CHECK_TYPE(z_streamp, [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([zlib version is too old
Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.])],
                [#include <zlib.h>])
fi

There is approximately 0.000% chance that typedef z_streamp is not
present in any version of zlib.h available in the wild today.
I interpret this message as "the build toolchain is broken enough to
make AC_CHECK_TYPE fail".  Haven't dug in to see what the most likely
true cause is, but we can dismiss zlib version compatibility out of
hand, I think.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problems building from source

От
"Bidski"
Дата:
"Magnus Hagander" <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
> More likely, it's not finding the right one. Probably it's picking up
> some completely different version of it because it's earlier in the
> search path.

Here is the start of my PATH environment variable.

        c:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\mingw\bin;C:\mingw\lib;

If it is finding something else, its not looking in my PATH variable for it.

> 64-bit PostgreSQL builds isn't - it "should just work", but I don't
> believe anybody has ever tried it. But this error shows a much more
> fundamental problem than the PostgreSQL code, and you need to get that
> solved first.

As I said, I have built other packages/libraries (both built the
library/package itself AND compiled/linked it into my own program and run it
successfully) with my current set up, so if there is something wrong with
the toolchain then it is only showing its face because PostgreSQL is doing
something that the other packages weren't doing. Honestly, I think that is
enough to say that MinGW/MSYS can run on 64 bit systems and if PostgreSQL is
only at the stage of "should just work" that there might be a bigger problem
than my toolchain at play here.

> Any particular reason why you don't want to build with the supported
> toolset, which is the Microsoft (free) compilers? (See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/install-win32-full.html)

I am building with my current toolset simply because it appears to be
working and it is already set up and I would rather not have to go through
the hassle of having to set up another toolset.

Regards
Bidski

Re: Problems building from source

От
Mark Cave-Ayland
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> Faced with that, I then changed my configure line to be ./configure
>> --prefix=ingw --with-gnu-ld --without-zlib (who needs zlib anyways,
>> right?). Now I was thinking that surely this would be the end of it and I
>> would soon have a fully built version of PostgreSQL ........ sadly not. I
>> now get this error.
>>
>>     checking for atexit... yes
>>     checking test program... failed
>>     configure: error:
>>     Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
>>     related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
>>     for the exact reason.
>
> Is mingw even fully supported on 64-bit today?

The mingw-w64 fork is fairly mature at the moment, and the devs are
really helpful if you do happen to find something that doesn't work. The
orignal mingw project 64-bit support is not that great.

http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS