Problems building from source

От Bidski
Тема Problems building from source
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi all,

I recently had some problems with a pre-built version of PostgreSQL and so I decided to try and build my own copy from source, but have run into even more problems.

I downloaded a copy of the source, unpacked it into a directory and had a quick look at the possible configure options (./configure --help) just to see if anything specific caught my eye. The only thing I saw was --with-gnu-ld. So I ran configure in the postgresql src root directory as ./configure --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/mingw. I got as far as the zlib checks when configure told me that I didnt have zlib installed (a quick look at my files confirmed this), so I went to www.zlib.net and downloaded version 1.2.5 (this appears to be the latest), I then built and installed this. Running configure again (with the same options) gave me a wonderful error.

    configure: error: zlib version is too old
    Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.

How can the latest version be too old????? Seeing this, I uninstalled that version and went in search of other versions. The versions I found may not have been newer (may have been older) but I tried them anyways, all with the same results, apparently all versions were too old. The other versions I found were on the MinGW/MSYS download site (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/), I tried the most recent versions listed on there.

Faced with that, I then changed my configure line to be ./configure --prefix=/mingw --with-gnu-ld --without-zlib (who needs zlib anyways, right?). Now I was thinking that surely this would be the end of it and I would soon have a fully built version of PostgreSQL ........ sadly not. I now get this error.

    checking for atexit... yes
    checking test program... failed
    configure: error:
    Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
    related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
    for the exact reason.

And now I have no idea. I had a look at config.log and to find this.

    configure:21835: checking for atexit
    configure:21891: gcc -qlanglvl=extc89 -o conftest.exe -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv  -I./src/include/port/win32 -DEXEC_BACKEND  -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition  conftest.c  >&5
    gcc.exe: unrecognized option '-qlanglvl=extc89'
    configure:21898: $? = 0
    configure:21920: result: yes
    configure:23234: checking test program
    configure:23254: gcc -qlanglvl=extc89 -o conftest.exe -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv  -I./src/include/port/win32 -DEXEC_BACKEND  -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition  conftest.c  >&5
    gcc.exe: unrecognized option '-qlanglvl=extc89'
    configure:23258: $? = 0
    configure:23264: ./conftest.exe
    ./configure: line 23266: ./conftest.exe: Invalid argument
    configure:23268: $? = 126
    configure: program exited with status 126
    configure: failed program was:

Having a look at line 23266 of configure and Im lost (never could understand those things).

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I have built other libraries/packages with this toolchain (wxWidgets, xerces-c, boost), so I dont think it is broken.

Some system info.....

OS: Windows 7 64-bit

MSYS ver: 1.0.14

MinGW ver: 4.5.0

Make ver: GNU make 3.81

If it matters ..... My IDE is Eclipse Galileo and I am compiling my project using the MinGW toolchain.

If you need any more info just let me know.

Regards

Bidski