Re: Problems building from source

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Problems building from source
Дата
Re: Problems building from source  ("Bidski" <bidski@bigpond.net.au>)
Re: Problems building from source  (Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland@siriusit.co.uk>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 00:30, Bidski <bidski@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently had some problems with a pre-built version of PostgreSQL and so I
> decided to try and build my own copy from source, but have run into even
> more problems.
>
> I downloaded a copy of the source, unpacked it into a directory and had a
> quick look at the possible configure options (./configure --help) just to
> see if anything specific caught my eye. The only thing I saw was
> --with-gnu-ld. So I ran configure in the postgresql src root directory as
> ./configure --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/mingw. I got as far as the zlib checks
> when configure told me that I didnt have zlib installed (a quick look at my
> files confirmed this), so I went to www.zlib.net and downloaded version
> 1.2.5 (this appears to be the latest), I then built and installed this.
> Running configure again (with the same options) gave me a wonderful error.
>
>     configure: error: zlib version is too old
>     Use --without-zlib to disable zlib support.
>
> How can the latest version be too old????? Seeing this, I uninstalled that
> version and went in search of other versions. The versions I found may not
> have been newer (may have been older) but I tried them anyways, all with the
> same results, apparently all versions were too old. The other versions I
> found were on the MinGW/MSYS download site
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/), I tried the most recent
> versions listed on there.

More likely, it's not finding the right one. Probably it's picking up
some completely different version of it because it's earlier in the
search path.

> Faced with that, I then changed my configure line to be ./configure
> --prefix=/mingw --with-gnu-ld --without-zlib (who needs zlib anyways,
> right?). Now I was thinking that surely this would be the end of it and I
> would soon have a fully built version of PostgreSQL ........ sadly not. I
> now get this error.
>
>     checking for atexit... yes
>     checking test program... failed
>     configure: error:
>     Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
>     related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
>     for the exact reason.

Is mingw even fully supported on 64-bit today?

64-bit PostgreSQL builds isn't - it "should just work", but I don't
believe anybody has ever tried it. But this error shows a much more
fundamental problem than the PostgreSQL code, and you need to get that
solved first.

Any particular reason why you don't want to build with the supported
toolset, which is the Microsoft (free) compilers? (See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/install-win32-full.html)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/