Обсуждение: readline library not found

readline library not found

От
zhong ming wu
Дата:
Dear List

I need to build a postgres on a linux machine that I don't have root access.

I built readline from source and installed it with prefix of /home/me/local

readline library are in /home/me/local/lib and headers files are in
/home/me/local/include/readline

After explicitly specfying these paths with --with-libs and
with-includes postgres configure is still choking
on readline.

To check that this should work, I disabled readline with
--without-readline and configure chokes at zlib not found.
So I install zlib from source at the same prefix.  This time postgres
configure finishes and then successfully built.

reading config.log is not helpful

Now if this solution works for zlib why is it not working for readline?

thanks

Re: readline library not found

Дата:
zhong ming wu <mr.z.m.wu@gmail.com> writes:
> I need to build a postgres on a linux machine that I don't have root access.
> I built readline from source and installed it with prefix of /home/me/local

If you don't have root you're going to be in for a lot of pain here.
Linux is not designed to be friendly to libraries that aren't installed
in the path defined by /etc/ld.so.conf.  Can't you just install readline
as prepackaged by your distro?

> Now if this solution works for zlib why is it not working for readline?

It isn't working for zlib either ... if you look closely, I'll bet lunch
you find you're linking to the standard copy of zlib.

            regards, tom lane

Re: readline library not found

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
zhong ming wu wrote:
> After explicitly specfying these paths with --with-libs and
> with-includes postgres configure is still choking
> on readline.

Doing this is painful, but one hack you can try is pointing:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/me/local/lib

I've used that combined with setting --with-libs and --with-includes
before to get a PostgreSQL build with libedit working in a non-root
account, and that library is similar to readline.

If that doesn't work you might have to adjust LDFLAGS instead, and
that's no fun at all.  This is not a simple thing to pull off.

Re: readline library not found

От
Scott Mead

I need to build a postgres on a linux machine that I don't have root access.

I built readline from source and installed it with prefix of /home/me/local

readline library are in /home/me/local/lib and headers files are in
/home/me/local/include/readline

After explicitly specfying these paths with --with-libs and
with-includes postgres configure is still choking
on readline.

To check that this should work, I disabled readline with
--without-readline and configure chokes at zlib not found.
So I install zlib from source at the same prefix.  This time postgres
configure finishes and then successfully built.

reading config.log is not helpful

Huh? This I find hard to believe.  Whenever I've had problems with readline it was actually libtermcap that was giving me a headache.  Are you sure that there's nothing in there that's pointing you to your libtermcap being .... 'wonky'

   Also, try setting CFLAGS to point to your include / lib dirs (-I/path/to/include) (-L/path/to/lib)

Now if this solution works for zlib why is it not working for readline?

thanks

Re: readline library not found

Дата:
Scott Mead <scott.lists@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Huh? This I find hard to believe.  Whenever I've had problems with readline
> it was actually libtermcap that was giving me a headache.  Are you sure that
> there's nothing in there that's pointing you to your libtermcap being ....
> 'wonky'

I think he's confusing what happens at compile and link time (where -I
and -L do make a difference) with what happens at run time (where these
switches do *not* make a difference, at least not on Linux).

            regards, tom lane

Re: readline library not found

От
Scott Mead
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Scott Mead <scott.lists@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Huh? This I find hard to believe.  Whenever I've had problems with readline
> it was actually libtermcap that was giving me a headache.  Are you sure that
> there's nothing in there that's pointing you to your libtermcap being ....
> 'wonky'

I think he's confusing what happens at compile and link time (where -I
and -L do make a difference) with what happens at run time (where these
switches do *not* make a difference, at least not on Linux).

Right, I've had issues during compile time with a scenario similar to this, where I ended up solving it by setting CFLAGS before compiling it.  The configure script (at some point) was picking the new readline, but missing some other termcap dependency when trying to compile the test program.   ---

--Scott

                       regards, tom lane