Обсуждение: postgresql on windows98

postgresql on windows98

От
RaviThapliyal
Дата:
Can postgresql be installed on windows 98 OS?

I want to install windows application with postgresql as a backend database
in Windows 98 machine.

Any help or comment will be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 14/05/2009 13:21, RaviThapliyal wrote:
> Can postgresql be installed on windows 98 OS?
>
> I want to install windows application with postgresql as a backend database
> in Windows 98 machine.

AFAIK, no; on Windows it needs an NT-type OS on which to run.

Does cygwin work on Win98? - you might have some luck there, though I
don't know whether newer versions of Windows will run on it; older ones
(<= 7.4) might.

Are you *really* tied to Windows 98? I haven't even *seen* it in
years.... Surely you must have some other options?

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
RaviThapliyal wrote:
> Can postgresql be installed on windows 98 OS?
>
> I want to install windows application with postgresql as a backend database
> in Windows 98 machine.

I think the non-unicode ODBC driver should work on Win98.

You really, really, REALLY don't want to run the  server on win98. Run
the server on a separate computer running a modern OS, and have the
Win98 box connect to it.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
RaviThapliyal
Дата:
Thanks Raymond for the quick reply, but i have certain limitation to this.

I had created a standalone application on postgresql as a backend database
considering windows xp but now i have learnt that some clients are still
working on windows 98 OS.

So is there any way out for windows98 to act as a postgres server?

Thanks
Ravi

On 14/05/2009 13:21, RaviThapliyal wrote:
> Can postgresql be installed on windows 98 OS?
>
> I want to install windows application with postgresql as a backend
> database
> in Windows 98 machine.

AFAIK, no; on Windows it needs an NT-type OS on which to run.

Does cygwin work on Win98? - you might have some luck there, though I
don't know whether newer versions of Windows will run on it; older ones
(<= 7.4) might.

Are you *really* tied to Windows 98? I haven't even *seen* it in
years.... Surely you must have some other options?

Ray.

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
RaviThapliyal
Дата:
    but i need to run postgresql on windows98. Many of our clients are
working on windows98 :(.
 Any way out for this?

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Craig Ringer, 14.05.2009 14:31:
> You really, really, REALLY don't want to run the  server on win98.

That should be:

You really, really, REALLY don't want to run Win98 :)

SCNR
Thomas

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 14/05/2009 13:38, RaviThapliyal wrote:
> Thanks Raymond for the quick reply, but i have certain limitation to this.
>
> I had created a standalone application on postgresql as a backend database
> considering windows xp but now i have learnt that some clients are still
> working on windows 98 OS.
>
> So is there any way out for windows98 to act as a postgres server?

I just checked the FAQs and found this, which confirms my earlier memories:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#What_versions_of_Windows_does_PostgreSQL_run_on.3F

However, as Craig pointed out, you REALLY don't want to trust your data
to a Windows98 machine. An ODBC connection to another box is by far the
safer solution, or else get your clients to upgrade. :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Bill Moran
Дата:

>     but i need to run postgresql on windows98. Many of our clients are
> working on windows98 :(.
>  Any way out for this?

No.  The correct answer to this question is "you can't do this, and if
you figure out a hack to make it work, you will be sorry that you did."

You're trying to run a modern database on a operating system that was
a piece of crap 11 years ago when it was new.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Bill Moran wrote:

>>     but i need to run postgresql on windows98. Many of our clients are
>> working on windows98 :(.
>>  Any way out for this?
>
> No.  The correct answer to this question is "you can't do this, and if
> you figure out a hack to make it work, you will be sorry that you did."

Well, the perhaps more generous answer is "try cygwin" - there's a
PostgreSQL package for it and it appears to be 8.2.9 (which isn't too
old although see if there's the latest 8.2 available).

However, assuming anyone running Windows 98 is doing so on hardware from
2000 or earlier, you've probably got at best 256MB of RAM and an aging
disk too. It's going to be slow, and when the hardware goes wrong you're
probably going to get database corruption. You might well get it when
Windows crashes too.

If you do get things running, you'll want to tune the database quite
carefully to avoid bringing the system to a halt with one big query.
You'll also want to ensure backups are taken on a regular basis.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Dave Coventry
Дата:
I've got Postgres running on colinux which works well under windows
XP, not sure how it will do under windows '98.

(Not very well, according to this:
http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q11._Is_it_possible_to_run_coLinux_under_98.2FME.3F
)

2009/5/14 Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>:
> Well, the perhaps more generous answer is "try cygwin" - there's a
> PostgreSQL package for it and it appears to be 8.2.9 (which isn't too old
> although see if there's the latest 8.2 available).
>
> However, assuming anyone running Windows 98 is doing so on hardware from
> 2000 or earlier, you've probably got at best 256MB of RAM and an aging disk
> too. It's going to be slow, and when the hardware goes wrong you're probably
> going to get database corruption. You might well get it when Windows crashes
> too.
>
> If you do get things running, you'll want to tune the database quite
> carefully to avoid bringing the system to a halt with one big query. You'll
> also want to ensure backups are taken on a regular basis.
>
> --
>  Richard Huxton
>  Archonet Ltd

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On Thursday 14 May 2009 5:38:44 am RaviThapliyal wrote:
> Thanks Raymond for the quick reply, but i have certain limitation to this.
>
> I had created a standalone application on postgresql as a backend database
> considering windows xp but now i have learnt that some clients are still
> working on windows 98 OS.
>
> So is there any way out for windows98 to act as a postgres server?
>
> Thanks
> Ravi

The short answer is no. I have tried in the past and it does not work. The other
thing to consider is whether the rest of your application will run under Win98
also. You said you developed against XP , are you sure the front end code will
run under Win98?

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
RaviThapliyal wrote:
>     but i need to run postgresql on windows98. Many of our clients are
> working on windows98 :(.
>  Any way out for this?

run the postgres CLIENT on the client machines, and run the postgres
SERVER on a server.

Re: postgresql on windows98

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 05:21:41AM -0700, RaviThapliyal wrote:
> Can postgresql be installed on windows 98 OS?
>
> I want to install windows application with postgresql as a backend database
> in Windows 98 machine.

Ravi: just to confirm; you have several "client companies" that run MS
Windows 98 on their "server machines" and you've written a program that
runs on another machine of an unspecified version of MS Windows.  You
were expecting your customers to be running at least MS Windows XP on
their server boxes which is causing you problems.

(for small companies, I'd expect the server and client machines to be
one and the same, but this distinction doesn't seem relevant to the
current discussion)

I think the answer is going to be that Windows doesn't expose a large
enough subset of the Win32 API to allow PG to run, but at least it'll
get away from the religious argument this seems to have turned into.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/