Обсуждение: still gin index creation takes forever

still gin index creation takes forever

От
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Дата:
I'm still fighting with my very long gin index creation that happens
randomly.

At the beginning I had a pretty long transaction that filled several
tables starting from some "temporary"[1] tables.
After filling the tables I updated a tsvector column in one of them
and finally in another connection I create a gin index on that
column.

I thought that I was encountering problems every time the index
creation was made in the same connection of the previous
transaction...

Actually it happened just by chance.

Now no matter if I open another connection to recreate the index...
it may still happen that it takes forever to recreate it.

maintenance_work_men is set to 200MB dynamically just before the
index get created.

Occasionally I can recreate the index in ~6min, especially if I did
some black magic before (eg. vacuum full, turn off DB) but very long
index creation happens mysteriously even when there is no process
stealing CPU cycles.

Anyway when I'm creating a gin index CPU use is very high staying
constantly near 100%.

Any suggestion about how to track down the problem?

thanks

[1] temporary but not strictly temp tables

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

Дата:
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> writes:
> Any suggestion about how to track down the problem?

What you are describing sounds rather like a use-of-uninitialized-memory
problem, wherein the behavior depends on what happened to be in that
memory previously.  If so, using a debug/cassert-enabled build of
Postgres might help to make the behavior more reproducible.

(Of course, if the result is that it's reproducibly fast, this doesn't
get us much closer to solving the problem :-(.  But it seems worth
trying.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:02:17 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> writes:
> > Any suggestion about how to track down the problem?
>
> What you are describing sounds rather like a
> use-of-uninitialized-memory problem, wherein the behavior depends
> on what happened to be in that memory previously.  If so, using a
> debug/cassert-enabled build of Postgres might help to make the
> behavior more reproducible.
>
> (Of course, if the result is that it's reproducibly fast, this
> doesn't get us much closer to solving the problem :-(.  But it
> seems worth trying.)

There is no such a beast for Debian etch/sid.

Fortunately the re-indexing will happens very seldom and I can just
split the 2 parts so that I'll do my superstitious rituals before
re-indexing.
But it's like living with a ghost at home and at this moment it is
out of my reach compiling postgres.

I'm surprised I'm the only one experiencing this problem and I think
I'm using a quite popular set of packages: etch + postgresql
backport so I'm wondering if postgresql really deserve the blame or
it's something else.

But I can't think of any "strange" behaviour on my part that could
justify what's happening.
There are times (seldom actually) when the index get created in
around 6 minutes and times it takes forever even when the box is not
under load. Re-indexing with gist always succede in around 2min.
I even stopped the server and reload everything from backup.
During restore index creation happens in reasonable time.
Restore didn't report any error, but the behaviour is still there.

So maybe this stuff is triggered by some combination of the
postgresql configuration.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
>> Any suggestion about how to track down the problem?
>
> What you are describing sounds rather like a use-of-uninitialized-memory
> problem, wherein the behavior depends on what happened to be in that
> memory previously.  If so, using a debug/cassert-enabled build of
> Postgres might help to make the behavior more reproducible.

It seems to me, possible reason of that behavior could be an order of table's
scanning. GIN's build algorithm prefers scan from begin to the end of table, but
in 8.3 it's not always true - scan may begin from the middle or end of table
depending on sequence scan's history.

GIN's build algorithm could use bulk insert of ItemPointers if and only if they
should be inserted on rightmost page (exact piece of code - dataPlaceToPage() in
gindatapage.c, lines 407-427)

Is any way to force table's scan from the beginning?
                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

Дата:
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
> GIN's build algorithm could use bulk insert of ItemPointers if and only if they
> should be inserted on rightmost page (exact piece of code - dataPlaceToPage() in
> gindatapage.c, lines 407-427)

I'm not following.  Rightmost page of what --- it can't be the whole
index, can it, or the case would hardly ever apply?

> Is any way to force table's scan from the beginning?

We could extend IndexBuildHeapScan's API to support that, but I'm
not quite convinced that this is the issue.

            regards, tom lane

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
>> GIN's build algorithm could use bulk insert of ItemPointers if and only if they
>> should be inserted on rightmost page (exact piece of code - dataPlaceToPage() in
>> gindatapage.c, lines 407-427)
>
> I'm not following.  Rightmost page of what --- it can't be the whole
> index, can it, or the case would hardly ever apply?

GIN's index contains btree over keys (entry tree) and for each key it
contains list of ItemPointers (posting list) or btree over ItemPointers
(posting tree or data tree) depending on its quantity. Bulk insertion
process collects into memory keys and sorted arrays of ItemPointers, and
then for each keys, it tries to insert every ItemPointer from array into
corresponding data tree one by one. But if the smallest ItemPointer in
array is greater than the biggest stored one then algorithm will insert
the whole array on rightmost page in data tree.

So, in that case process can insert about 1000 ItemPointers per one data
tree lookup, in opposite case it does 1000 lookups in data tree.

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

Дата:
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>> I'm not following.  Rightmost page of what --- it can't be the whole
>> index, can it, or the case would hardly ever apply?

> GIN's index contains btree over keys (entry tree) and for each key it
> contains list of ItemPointers (posting list) or btree over ItemPointers
> (posting tree or data tree) depending on its quantity. Bulk insertion
> process collects into memory keys and sorted arrays of ItemPointers, and
> then for each keys, it tries to insert every ItemPointer from array into
> corresponding data tree one by one. But if the smallest ItemPointer in
> array is greater than the biggest stored one then algorithm will insert
> the whole array on rightmost page in data tree.

> So, in that case process can insert about 1000 ItemPointers per one data
> tree lookup, in opposite case it does 1000 lookups in data tree.

I see.  So this could explain Ivan's issue if his table contains large
numbers of repeated GIN keys.  Ivan, is that what your data looks like?

            regards, tom lane

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:18:05 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > So, in that case process can insert about 1000 ItemPointers per
> > one data tree lookup, in opposite case it does 1000 lookups in
> > data tree.

> I see.  So this could explain Ivan's issue if his table contains
> large numbers of repeated GIN keys.  Ivan, is that what your data
> looks like?

Well if by GIN keys you mean lexemes it could be. But I wouldn't say
this circumstance is uncommon among users of tsearch. I'd expect
other people had used tsearch2 to search through titles, authors and
publishers of books, so if that was the problem I'd expect the
problem to come up earlier.
Actually tsearch2 is not completely tuned up, since I still have to
"mix" Italian and English configuration to get rid of some more
stop words etc... that may increase the number of repetitions, but I
doubt this only put me in a corner case.

Anyway trying to answer in a more objective way to your question I
ran:

SELECT * FROM ts_stat('SELECT ft1idx FROM catalog_items') order by
nentry desc, ndoc desc limit 20;

It ran over 9h and I still wasn't able to get the answer.
I killed psql client that was running it and postgres continued to
eat 100% CPU for a while till I stopped it.

Considering that running:
SELECT * FROM ts_stat('SELECT ft1idx FROM catalog_items limit 50000')
order by nentry desc, ndoc desc limit 20;
returned in less than 2 minutes and catalog_items has a bit less
than 1M record... there is still something weird.

"springer";10824;10833
"e";7703;8754
"di";6815;7771
"il";5622;6168
"la";4989;5407
"hall";4357;4416
"prentic";4321;4369
"l";3920;4166
"del";3092;3281
"edizioni";2465;2465
"della";2292;2410
"m";2283;2398
"dell";2150;2281
"j";1967;2099
"d";1789;1864
"per";1685;1770
"longman";1671;1746
"le";1656;1736
"press";1687;1687
"de";1472;1564

examining 90K records took a bit more than 6min.

I'll try to move everything on another box and see what happens.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

Дата:
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I see.  So this could explain Ivan's issue if his table contains
>> large numbers of repeated GIN keys.  Ivan, is that what your data
>> looks like?

> Well if by GIN keys you mean lexemes it could be. But I wouldn't say
> this circumstance is uncommon among users of tsearch. I'd expect
> other people had used tsearch2 to search through titles, authors and
> publishers of books, so if that was the problem I'd expect the
> problem to come up earlier.

Yeah, I'm not convinced either.  Still, Teodor's theory should be easily
testable: set synchronize_seqscans to FALSE and see if the problem goes
away.

            regards, tom lane

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
> Yeah, I'm not convinced either.  Still, Teodor's theory should be easily
> testable: set synchronize_seqscans to FALSE and see if the problem goes
> away.

Test suit to reproduce the problem:
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS foo;
    DROP TABLE IF EXISTS footmp;

    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION gen_array()
    RETURNS _int4 AS
    $$
        SELECT ARRAY(
            SELECT (random()*1000)::int
            FROM generate_series(1,10+(random()*90)::int)
        )
    $$
    LANGUAGE SQL VOLATILE;

    SELECT gen_array() AS v INTO foo FROM generate_series(1,100000);

    VACUUM ANALYZE foo;

    CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    DROP INDEX fooidx;

    SELECT * INTO footmp FROM foo LIMIT 90000;

    CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    DROP INDEX fooidx;

On my notebook with HEAD and default postgresql.conf it produce (show only
interesting part):

    postgres=# CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    Time: 14961,409 ms
    postgres=# SELECT * INTO footmp FROM foo LIMIT 90000;
    postgres=# CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (12 seconds apart)
    HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".
    LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (8 seconds apart)
    HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".
    LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (7 seconds apart)
    HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".
    LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (10 seconds apart)
    HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".
    LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (8 seconds apart)
    HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".
    CREATE INDEX
    Time: 56286,507 ms

So, time for creation is 4-time bigger after select.
Without "SELECT * INTO footmp FROM foo LIMIT 90000;":
    postgres=# CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    CREATE INDEX
    Time: 13894,050 ms
    postgres=# CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (14 seconds apart)
    HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".
    CREATE INDEX
    Time: 15087,348 ms

Near to the same time.

With   synchronize_seqscans = off and SELECT:
    postgres=# CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    CREATE INDEX
    Time: 14452,024 ms
    postgres=# SELECT * INTO footmp FROM foo LIMIT 90000;
    postgres=# CREATE INDEX fooidx ON foo USING gin (v);
    LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (16 seconds apart)
    HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".
    CREATE INDEX
    Time: 14557,750 ms

Again, near to the same time.

                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
> We could extend IndexBuildHeapScan's API to support that, but I'm
> not quite convinced that this is the issue.

That extension might be useful for bitmap index too to simplify index creation
process.
                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

Дата:
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>> Yeah, I'm not convinced either.  Still, Teodor's theory should be easily
>> testable: set synchronize_seqscans to FALSE and see if the problem goes
>> away.

> Test suit to reproduce the problem:

I don't doubt that you're describing a real effect, I'm just not sure
yet that it's the same thing Ivan is seeing.  He seems to be talking
about more than 4x differences.

            regards, tom lane

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:11:05 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
> >> Yeah, I'm not convinced either.  Still, Teodor's theory should
> >> be easily testable: set synchronize_seqscans to FALSE and see
> >> if the problem goes away.
>
> > Test suit to reproduce the problem:
>
> I don't doubt that you're describing a real effect, I'm just not
> sure yet that it's the same thing Ivan is seeing.  He seems to be
> talking about more than 4x differences.

Yes... 6min compared to something that span a night and is far more
than what I'm willing to wait to give an exact measure since it does
look to last more than the box itself.
Anyway... I'll try Teodor's trick to see if somehow it can
circumvent the real cause and I'll try everything on another box
ASAP.

thanks to all

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

Дата:
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>> We could extend IndexBuildHeapScan's API to support that, but I'm
>> not quite convinced that this is the issue.

> That extension might be useful for bitmap index too to simplify index creation
> process.

Maybe, but in any case the measurable GIN speed penalty justifies
changing it; I've applied a patch for that.  I'm still not quite
convinced that Ivan isn't seeing some other issue though.

In the meantime, I noticed something odd while experimenting with your
test case: when running with default maintenance_work_mem = 16MB,
there is a slowdown of 3x or 4x for the un-ordered case, just as you
say.  But at maintenance_work_mem = 200MB I see very little difference.
This doesn't make sense to me --- it seems like a larger workspace
should result in more difference because of greater chance to dump a
lot of tuples into the index at once.  Do you know why that's happening?

            regards, tom lane

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Teodor Sigaev
Дата:
> changing it; I've applied a patch for that.  I'm still not quite
> convinced that Ivan isn't seeing some other issue though.

Thank you

> In the meantime, I noticed something odd while experimenting with your
> test case: when running with default maintenance_work_mem = 16MB,
> there is a slowdown of 3x or 4x for the un-ordered case, just as you
> say.  But at maintenance_work_mem = 200MB I see very little difference.
> This doesn't make sense to me --- it seems like a larger workspace
> should result in more difference because of greater chance to dump a
> lot of tuples into the index at once.  Do you know why that's happening?

I suppose, if maintenance_work_mem is rather big then all data of index
accumulates in memory and so it writes at disk at once. With that test's options
size of index is equal to 40Mb.
                                                    WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

Re: still gin index creation takes forever

От
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:11:05 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
> >> Yeah, I'm not convinced either.  Still, Teodor's theory should
> >> be easily testable: set synchronize_seqscans to FALSE and see
> >> if the problem goes away.
>
> > Test suit to reproduce the problem:
>
> I don't doubt that you're describing a real effect, I'm just not
> sure yet that it's the same thing Ivan is seeing.  He seems to be
> talking about more than 4x differences.

I just tested dropping the index and recreating it on a quite slower
box (Core Duo 2 notebook with 1G RAM) and absolutely no tuning on
postgres.conf but a "pure" lenny box and not an etch with backported
postgresql.

It seems a bit faster than the fastest time I've been able to obtain
on a 2x Xeon HT 3.2GHz, 4Gb RAM and SCSI RAID1.

It's far from being a scientific measure. I'll try to do more
experiments later to collect more data and see if it didn't happen
by chance.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
"Raji Sridar (raji)"
Дата:
Hi,

I would like to know if Postgres 8.2.x is supported on Windows 2008 (32
bit). If not, what is version of Postgres supported on Windows 2008? PLs
let me know.

Thanks
Raji

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 16/03/2009 22:42, Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
> I would like to know if Postgres 8.2.x is supported on Windows 2008 (32
> bit). If not, what is version of Postgres supported on Windows 2008? PLs
> let me know.

There's a list of supported platforms in the manual - have a rummage there.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 22:55 +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 16/03/2009 22:42, Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
> > I would like to know if Postgres 8.2.x is supported on Windows 2008 (32
> > bit). If not, what is version of Postgres supported on Windows 2008? PLs
> > let me know.
>
> There's a list of supported platforms in the manual - have a rummage there.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/supported-platforms.html

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Ray.

> Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
> rod@iol.ie
> Galway Cathedral Recitals: http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals

PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Raji Sridar (raji) <raji@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if Postgres 8.2.x is supported on Windows 2008 (32
> bit). If not, what is version of Postgres supported on Windows 2008? PLs
> let me know.

Due to some problems with older versions of pgsql and windows, it is
no recommended to go to 8.3 and later versions of postgresql.  I
believe updates for previous versions are no longer supplied, but I'm
a unix guy so, I could be off by one version.  I know that 8.0 and 8.1
pgsql are definitely no longer supported on windows.

Also, pgsql is always 32 bit on windows, whether to the OS is 32 or 64 bit.

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 22:55 +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>> On 16/03/2009 22:42, Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
>> > I would like to know if Postgres 8.2.x is supported on Windows 2008 (32
>> > bit). If not, what is version of Postgres supported on Windows 2008? PLs
>> > let me know.
>>
>> There's a list of supported platforms in the manual - have a rummage there.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/supported-platforms.html

Ok, so 8.2 is the oldest version supported.  I was wondering...
Another handy url:

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

[Q] ODBC connect shows RELEASE / SAVEPOINT on selects

От
"V S P"
Дата:
Hello,
a newbie question:

I am using ODBC on windows (the unicode version) to connect to 8.3.3
running on
the same machine (XP 32 bit).

My C++ program uses OTL C++ library (it's ODBC functions)

Every time I execute a simple
select fld from mytable;

I see this

LOG:  duration: 0.000 ms  statement: RELEASE _EXEC_SVP_01B06868
LOG:  duration: 0.000 ms  statement: SAVEPOINT _EXEC_SVP_01B06868

my connection is set to no autocommit

so I do not understand why I am seeing savepoints and release

(I have some other code against the same DB instance but from PHP, and I
did not see
those messages in the log).

Thanks in advance,
Vlad
--
  V S P
  toreason@fastmail.fm

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
"Raji Sridar (raji)"
Дата:
Thanks for the prompt responses. None of the urls mention Windows 2008.
Looks like it is not supported. Who should I approach to get this
supported and how?
Thanks
Raji
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 22:55 +0000, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
>> On 16/03/2009 22:42, Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
>> > I would like to know if Postgres 8.2.x is supported on Windows 2008

>> > (32 bit). If not, what is version of Postgres supported on Windows
>> > 2008? PLs let me know.
>>
>> There's a list of supported platforms in the manual - have a rummage
there.

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/supported-platforms.html

Ok, so 8.2 is the oldest version supported.  I was wondering...
Another handy url:

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 18:12 -0700, Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt responses. None of the urls mention Windows 2008.
> Looks like it is not supported. Who should I approach to get this
> supported and how?

How do you mean "supported"? I doubt that the community is going to back
patch support for 8.2 Win32 to Windows 2008.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
"Raji Sridar (raji)"
Дата:
I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres is
tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How do
I enable that?
Thanks
Raji
On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 18:12 -0700, Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt responses. None of the urls mention Windows
2008.
> Looks like it is not supported. Who should I approach to get this
> supported and how?

How do you mean "supported"? I doubt that the community is going to back
patch support for 8.2 Win32 to Windows 2008.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
> I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres is
> tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How do
> I enable that?

postgres isn't 'patched', there are incremental releases, like 8.3.5,
8.3.6.   within a given X,Y, you can install a newer version on top of
an older without any hiccups.

I know of no reasons why it, as a win32 service, wouldn't work on
Win2008 Server, except perhaps having to dink around a bit with
privileges to get the installer past the security stuff.   that said,
I've never tried it on win2008 server, we're still using win2003 at work
(actually, mostly we use unix and linux).

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

Дата:
"Raji Sridar (raji)" <raji@cisco.com> writes:
> I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres is
> tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How do
> I enable that?

Contribute a test machine to the buildfarm:
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/index.html

(Although I have to concede never having heard of "Windows 2008".
You sure you're not talking about Vista?  If so, we have that
covered.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
"Dann Corbit"
> > I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres
is
> > tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How
> do
> > I enable that?
>
> Contribute a test machine to the buildfarm:
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/index.html
>
> (Although I have to concede never having heard of "Windows 2008".
> You sure you're not talking about Vista?  If so, we have that
> covered.)

He is referring to Windows Server 2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

For example, my system information gives this:
OS Name    Microsoft(r) Windows Server(r) 2008 Standard
Version    6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

[Q] ODBC Decimal(19,6)

От
"V S P"
Дата:
I declared a field as DECIMAL(19,6)

when doing select thatfield from tb1

for some reason ODBC thinks that it is a double

I think it has to be a string, otherwise precision is lost
or am I not understanding this right?

I tried to do
select thefield\\:\\:varchar

but for some reason that did not work yet.

thanks in advance,
Vlad
--
  V S P
  toreason@fastmail.fm

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> "Raji Sridar (raji)" <raji@cisco.com> writes:
> > I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres is
> > tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How do
> > I enable that?
>
> Contribute a test machine to the buildfarm:
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/index.html
>
> (Although I have to concede never having heard of "Windows 2008".
> You sure you're not talking about Vista?  If so, we have that
> covered.)

Its beta of Windows 7 server essentially.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/default.aspx

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> "Raji Sridar (raji)" <raji@cisco.com> writes:
>>> I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres is
>>> tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How do
>>> I enable that?
>> Contribute a test machine to the buildfarm:
>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/index.html
>>
>> (Although I have to concede never having heard of "Windows 2008".
>> You sure you're not talking about Vista?  If so, we have that
>> covered.)
>
> Its beta of Windows 7 server essentially.

Though not beta quality by any stretch; it's widely deployed and seems
to be pretty solid (for a Windows server).

Windows Server 2008 R2, currently in beta, is probably what you mean
when you're referring to the "Windows 7 Server" beta. It's an update
release of Windows Server 2008, kinda like Windows 98 Second Edition was
of Win98, that adds some features, polishes things, and (oddly for a
fairly minor release) drops 32 bit hardware support completely. It still
 runs 32 bit programs, but the OS its self requires x86-64 support.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Windows 2008 is basically a vista with some (unfortunately not enough)
of the cruft removed and some nice additions in the server side
totally irrelevant to postgresql.

So as long as it's fine on vista, it should be fine on 2008. I don't
regal offhand if 8.2 is or if it requires 8.3, but the buildfarm
should be clear on that.

/Magnus

On 17 mar 2009, at 03.21, "Raji Sridar (raji)" <raji@cisco.com> wrote:

> I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres is
> tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How
> do
> I enable that?
> Thanks
> Raji

Дата:
On 17 mar 2009, at 05.22, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>
wrote:

>> "Raji Sridar (raji)" <raji@cisco.com> writes:
>>> I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres
>>> is
>>> tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms.
>>> How do
>>> I enable that?
>>
>> Contribute a test machine to the buildfarm:
>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/index.html
>>
>> (Although I have to concede never having heard of "Windows 2008".
>> You sure you're not talking about Vista?  If so, we have that
>> covered.)
>
> Its beta of Windows 7 server essentially.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/default.aspx

That's just plain wrong. Windows 2008  is very much a production
release (insert appropriate comment about windows vs production ready
here). It's closer to "server vista" (though not as broken), but it's
really an in between version. Microsoft stopped doing coordinated
desktop/server releases years ago.

/Magnus

> Joshua D. Drake
>

>>            regards, tom lane
>>
> --
> PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
>   Consulting, Development, Support, Training
>   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> "Raji Sridar (raji)" <raji@cisco.com> writes:
>> > I don't mind going to 8.3 or later. I want to ensure that Postgres is
>> > tested on Windows 2008 and patches created like other platforms. How do
>> > I enable that?
>>
>> Contribute a test machine to the buildfarm:
>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/index.html
>>
>> (Although I have to concede never having heard of "Windows 2008".
>> You sure you're not talking about Vista?  If so, we have that
>> covered.)
>
> Its beta of Windows 7 server essentially.

No it isn't. It's the server version of Vista, but came out far enough
behind Vista that they managed to fix much of the crap that bogs Vista
down.

And 8.3.x should work fine on it.

--
Dave Page

Re: Postgres 8.2.x support on Windows 2008

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Raji Sridar (raji) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if Postgres 8.2.x is supported on Windows 2008 (32
> bit). If not, what is version of Postgres supported on Windows 2008? PLs
> let me know.
>
> Thanks
> Raji

Hi Raji,

Windows Server 2008 is excellent (Sorry if I upset any *nix fanbois).
And has the vista aero rubbish as an optional addon (i.e. don't do it!)

I have been running the 8.3.6. windows build on the 64bit version of
windows 2008 for the last month or so and so far it is working seamlessly.

For those that do not have the option of running postgres on a *nix
machine I recommend it.

Howard.
www.selestial.com