Обсуждение: postgresql books and convertion utilities

postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Ganbold
Дата:
Hi,

I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
usually coding in php/C.

Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?

Which one is worth from following books?

1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
2. Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional,
Second Edition (Beginning from Novice to Professional) by Neil Matthew
and Richard Stones (Paperback - April 6, 2005)
3. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional by W.
Jason Gilmore and Robert H. Treat (Paperback - Feb 27, 2006)
4. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL E-Commerce: From Novice to Professional
(Beginning, from Novice to Professional) by Emilian Balanescu, Mihai
Bucica, and Cristian Darie (Paperback - Dec 25, 2006)
5. Beginning PostgreSQL 8 by Edward Lecky-Thompson and Clive Gardner
(Paperback - Sep 25, 2006)

I'm thinking to buy books published in 2006, but maybe I'm wrong.
I appreciate if somebody can point me to the right direction.

Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to postgresql.
Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to postgresql, maybe at
least DB (tables, indexes, queries)?
Are there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
mysql to postgresql?

thanks in advance,

Ganbold

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
louis gonzales
Дата:
Ganbold,
There are man PDF files out there that outline all of the workings of
postgresql.  They are easy to read, but also have 'deep dive'
information in them as well.  The PDF's are really valuable, both for
the novice and for those who are experienced.

I'd start there.

--
Email:    louis.gonzales@linuxlouis.net
WebSite:  http://www.linuxlouis.net

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Alexander Staubo
Дата:
On Oct 30, 2006, at 03:30 , Ganbold wrote:

> Which one is worth from following books?
>
> 1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26,
> 2005)

This is a good book. As far as I know it's the most up-to-date
general-purpose PostgreSQL book.

If you are interested in previewing books online, I recommend
O'Reilly's Safari (http://safaribooks.com/), which offers this book
and many other PostgreSQL books for browsing and searching. (The 14-
day trial membership is free; credit card required -- unless
canceled, it automatically switches to a paid subscription after the
14 days).

Alexander.

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
Alexander Staubo wrote:
>> Which one is worth from following books?
>>
>> 1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26,
>> 2005)
>
> This is a good book. As far as I know it's the most up-to-date
> general-purpose PostgreSQL book.

It covers up to 8.0.
It's a little verbose, but I would agree that it is a decent book.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> Alexander Staubo wrote:
> >> Which one is worth from following books?
> >>
> >> 1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26,
> >> 2005)
> >
> > This is a good book. As far as I know it's the most up-to-date
> > general-purpose PostgreSQL book.
>
> It covers up to 8.0.
> It's a little verbose, but I would agree that it is a decent book.

I would agree with all of the above comment.  I will add that it was missing a discussion on
Postgresql's Rule system.  But if you are interested in connecting to postgresql using one of the
many Postgresql protocols it is a very good book to use.

Here is a link that corrects some typos in the book:

http://www.samspublishing.com/content/images/0672327562/Errata/0672327562errata.pdf

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Chander Ganesan
Ganbold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
> usually coding in php/C.
>
> Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?
>
> Which one is worth from following books?
>
> 1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
I highly recommend this book.  It's a very thorough coverage of
PostgreSQL - the most complete one out there IMHO.  We provide this book
as supplemental material with our PostgreSQL courses, and before
choosing it we examined most of the PostgreSQL books on the
market...this one definitely takes the cake.

(more below)...
> 2. Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional,
> Second Edition (Beginning from Novice to Professional) by Neil Matthew
> and Richard Stones (Paperback - April 6, 2005)
> 3. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional by W.
> Jason Gilmore and Robert H. Treat (Paperback - Feb 27, 2006)
> 4. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL E-Commerce: From Novice to
> Professional (Beginning, from Novice to Professional) by Emilian
> Balanescu, Mihai Bucica, and Cristian Darie (Paperback - Dec 25, 2006)
> 5. Beginning PostgreSQL 8 by Edward Lecky-Thompson and Clive Gardner
> (Paperback - Sep 25, 2006)
>
> I'm thinking to buy books published in 2006, but maybe I'm wrong.
> I appreciate if somebody can point me to the right direction.
>
> Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to postgresql.
> Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to postgresql, maybe at
> least DB (tables, indexes, queries)?
> Are there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
> mysql to postgresql?
If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
(PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy to
do the conversion.  If you did not, then it could be time consuming
(though not overly difficult).

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999

> thanks in advance,
>
> Ganbold

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Ilan Volow
Дата:
I was new to postgresql and have had to use it with both C and PHP.
Having purchased both books, I have found #2 in your list a lot more
useful than #1 (don't let the "beginning" title fool you into
thinking it's just a 'hello world' book). #2 is better organized for
what I'm doing, especially the index. While #1 definitely goes far
more in depth on obscure things, #2 has a much better index. And for
me, a reference book is only as good as its index; if I have thumb
through every page in the book to find something, it's nearly useless
as a reference.

But that's just my opinion and others might vary.

--
Ilan Volow
Implicit code is inherently evil, and here's the reason why:

On Oct 30, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Chander Ganesan wrote:

> Ganbold wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We
>> are usually coding in php/C.
>>
>> Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?
>>
>> Which one is worth from following books?
>>
>> 1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26,
>> 2005)
>> 2. Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to
>> Professional, Second Edition (Beginning from Novice to
>> Professional) by Neil Matthew and Richard Stones (Paperback -
>> April 6, 2005)
>> 3. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional by
>> W. Jason Gilmore and Robert H. Treat (Paperback - Feb 27, 2006)
>> 4. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL E-Commerce: From Novice to
>> Professional (Beginning, from Novice to Professional) by Emilian
>> Balanescu, Mihai Bucica, and Cristian Darie (Paperback - Dec 25,
>> 2006)
>> 5. Beginning PostgreSQL 8 by Edward Lecky-Thompson and Clive
>> Gardner (Paperback - Sep 25, 2006)
>>
>> I'm thinking to buy books published in 2006, but maybe I'm wrong.
>> I appreciate if somebody can point me to the right direction.
>>
>> Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to
>> postgresql.
>> Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to postgresql, maybe
>> at least DB (tables, indexes, queries)?
>> Are there any tools that can convert php functions and database
>> from mysql to postgresql?
>

>> thanks in advance,
>>
>> Ganbold
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:10:36AM -0500, Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Ganbold wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
> >usually coding in php/C.
> >
> >Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?
> >
> >Which one is worth from following books?
> >
> >1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
> I highly recommend this book.  It's a very thorough coverage of
> PostgreSQL - the most complete one out there IMHO.  We provide this
> book as supplemental material with our PostgreSQL courses, and
> before choosing it we examined most of the PostgreSQL books on the
> market...this one definitely takes the cake.

I heartily second this recommendation.

> >Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to
> >postgresql.  Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to
> >postgresql, maybe at least DB (tables, indexes, queries)?  Are
> >there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
> >mysql to postgresql?
> If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
> (PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy
> to do the conversion.  If you did not, then it could be time
> consuming (though not overly difficult).

Getting your data into PostgreSQL will not be difficult.

However, one reason that people convert to PostgreSQL is to scale up.
To do this, you will need to re-design your database to use
PostgreSQL's features, and MySQL's non-standard constructs will make
this harder.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Ganbold
Дата:
Hi,

Ganbold wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
usually coding in php/C.

Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?

Which one is worth from following books?

1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
I highly recommend this book.  It's a very thorough coverage of
PostgreSQL - the most complete one out there IMHO.  We provide this
book as supplemental material with our PostgreSQL courses, and
before choosing it we examined most of the PostgreSQL books on the
market...this one definitely takes the cake.
I heartily second this recommendation.

As lot of people recommend I will definitely buy first book. Also
will consider second book since it seems like easy to read and follow.

Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to
postgresql.  Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to
postgresql, maybe at least DB (tables, indexes, queries)?  Are
there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
mysql to postgresql?
If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
(PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy
to do the conversion.  If you did not, then it could be time
consuming (though not overly difficult).
Getting your data into PostgreSQL will not be difficult.

However, one reason that people convert to PostgreSQL is to scale up.
To do this, you will need to re-design your database to use
PostgreSQL's features, and MySQL's non-standard constructs will make
this harder.

Well, this is true. I have to change my "mysql" mind and
start exploring postgresql capabilities and construct everything.
Right now my mysql app only uses a lot of simple select/insert/delete queries,
so I have to  change some of those using features like triggers/views/stored
procedures etc. What I'm thinking is first create db and change every PHP mysql functions
into postgresql. Then step by step will try to improve/change queries.

Thanks a lot for all who answered to my questions.

Ganbold

Cheers,

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> As lot of people recommend I will definitely buy first book. Also
> will consider second book since it seems like easy to read and follow.

Don't for get one of the best "books" of all:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/index.html

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 30 October 2006 20:50, Ganbold wrote:

> >> If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
> >> (PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy
> >> to do the conversion.  If you did not, then it could be time
> >> consuming (though not overly difficult).
> >
> > Getting your data into PostgreSQL will not be difficult.
> >
> > However, one reason that people convert to PostgreSQL is to scale up.
> > To do this, you will need to re-design your database to use
> > PostgreSQL's features, and MySQL's non-standard constructs will make
> > this harder.
>
> Well, this is true. I have to change my "mysql" mind and
> start exploring postgresql capabilities and construct everything.
> Right now my mysql app only uses a lot of simple select/insert/delete
> queries,
> so I have to  change some of those using features like
> triggers/views/stored procedures etc. What I'm thinking is first create db
> and change every PHP mysql functions
> into postgresql. Then step by step will try to improve/change queries.

If you have made use of a lot of built in mysql functions, make sure to check
out the mysql compat project:  http://pgfoundry.org/projects/mysqlcompat/

--
Robert Treat

Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 30 October 2006 07:55, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:

> > > This is a good book. As far as I know it's the most up-to-date
> > > general-purpose PostgreSQL book.
> >
> > It covers up to 8.0.
> > It's a little verbose, but I would agree that it is a decent book.
>
> I would agree with all of the above comment.  I will add that it was
> missing a discussion on Postgresql's Rule system.  But if you are
> interested in connecting to postgresql using one of the many Postgresql
> protocols it is a very good book to use.
>
> Here is a link that corrects some typos in the book:
>
> http://www.samspublishing.com/content/images/0672327562/Errata/0672327562er
>rata.pdf

FWIW there is a chapter with fairly advanced examples of using views and rules
in  "Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional".  Also that
book lightly touches on some 8.1 topics...  8.1 was in development at the
time of the writing, so some things are mentioned, but a lot of 8.1 didn't
really apply to PHP programmers. For example, I mention tuning
max_prepared_transactions, but the recommendation is simply to set it to 0,
since there is almost no chance you'll be using it in PHP so there is no
reason to use resources on it.

--
Robert Treat