Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

От Chander Ganesan
Тема Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities
Дата
Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Ganbold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
> usually coding in php/C.
>
> Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?
>
> Which one is worth from following books?
>
> 1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
I highly recommend this book.  It's a very thorough coverage of
PostgreSQL - the most complete one out there IMHO.  We provide this book
as supplemental material with our PostgreSQL courses, and before
choosing it we examined most of the PostgreSQL books on the
market...this one definitely takes the cake.

(more below)...
> 2. Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL: From Novice to Professional,
> Second Edition (Beginning from Novice to Professional) by Neil Matthew
> and Richard Stones (Paperback - April 6, 2005)
> 3. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional by W.
> Jason Gilmore and Robert H. Treat (Paperback - Feb 27, 2006)
> 4. Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL E-Commerce: From Novice to
> Professional (Beginning, from Novice to Professional) by Emilian
> Balanescu, Mihai Bucica, and Cristian Darie (Paperback - Dec 25, 2006)
> 5. Beginning PostgreSQL 8 by Edward Lecky-Thompson and Clive Gardner
> (Paperback - Sep 25, 2006)
>
> I'm thinking to buy books published in 2006, but maybe I'm wrong.
> I appreciate if somebody can point me to the right direction.
>
> Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to postgresql.
> Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to postgresql, maybe at
> least DB (tables, indexes, queries)?
> Are there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
> mysql to postgresql?
If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
(PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy to
do the conversion.  If you did not, then it could be time consuming
(though not overly difficult).

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999

От: Richard Broersma Jr
Сообщение: Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities
От: Brad Nicholson
Сообщение: log_duration and JDBC V3 Preparded Statements