Обсуждение: Securing Postgres

Securing Postgres

От
L van der Walt
Дата:
I would like to secure Postgres completly.

Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.
2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.
3. Disable all tools like pg_dump

How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
any information in the databse.

Regards

Lani

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
L van der Walt wrote:
> I would like to secure Postgres completly.
>
> Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
> 1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.

Prevent anyone from logging in as user postgres.
Remove psql.

> 2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.

That's the root user - it is supposed to be able to do what it likes.

> 3. Disable all tools like pg_dump

You can delete the executables, but that's not going to stop people
running their own version if they can connect.

> How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
> The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
> any information in the databse.

If you don't trust the administrators of the machine, there's nothing
you can do if they have physical access to it. They'll always be able to
work around anything you can do.

Can you say more about the situation - it might be someone has been in a
similar situation themselves?
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Berend Tober
Дата:
L van der Walt wrote:

> I would like to secure Postgres completly.
>
> Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
> 1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.
> 2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.
> 3. Disable all tools like pg_dump
>
> How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
> The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
> any information in the databse.

It may be just me and my silly old-fashion attitudes, but I kind of
think that if your sys admin(s) cannot be trusted, you are pretty much
screwed. And your hiring process needs fixing,

But being that as it may, maintaining physical security, i.e., keeping
the host server in a locked room with restricted and recorded access and
that requires at least two persons present so that collusion is required
for tampering, disabling remote root login, granting limited sys admin
privileges with sudo (which records the sudoer activities, for auditing
purposes) might be a way to accomplish what you are looking for.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Don't forget to CC: the list!

L van der Walt wrote:
> Example:  On a MS Windows Server with MS SQL Server.  The administrator
> with the administrator username and password can not access the SQL
> server data.  He also needs the SA username and password for the SQL
> server to do so.  He can stop and start the server and so on but not
> access the data.

He might not be able to directly access the DB, but he can certainly
gain access to the raw data files/backups/passwords and gain access that
way.

> How do I secure a system in the same way with Linux and PostgreSQL.

Unix security is a big topic, but basically if someone has root access,
then they can gain access to anything on that machine.

However, you can make it harder by requiring passwords for PG and not
storing them on the machine (other than in their hashed form within the
database). Of course that means you'll need to supply a password for any
automatic tasks (e.g. autovacuum etc) which I don't see as being easy if
you don't store them on the same machine.

But basically, you need to be able to trust the person with the root
login - it is more powerful than a standard MS-Windows administrator
account. Do your administrators need root access?
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Securing Postgres

От
L van der Walt
Дата:
Berend Tober wrote:

> L van der Walt wrote:
>
>> I would like to secure Postgres completly.
>>
>> Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
>> 1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.
>> 2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.
>> 3. Disable all tools like pg_dump
>>
>> How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
>> The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
>> any information in the databse.
>

> It may be just me and my silly old-fashion attitudes, but I kind of
> think that if your sys admin(s) cannot be trusted, you are pretty much
> screwed. And your hiring process needs fixing,
>
> But being that as it may, maintaining physical security, i.e., keeping
> the host server in a locked room with restricted and recorded access
> and that requires at least two persons present so that collusion is
> required for tampering, disabling remote root login, granting limited
> sys admin privileges with sudo (which records the sudoer activities,
> for auditing purposes) might be a way to accomplish what you are
> looking for.

Then, I might as well just leave the whole PostgreSQL DB and write my
own mini DB with encrypted XML files.  I am sure someone must have an
answer for me.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
L van der Walt
Дата:
The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and not
for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.

There might be other applications on the server so the administrators do
require root access.

About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.

Richard Huxton wrote:

> Don't forget to CC: the list!
>
> L van der Walt wrote:
>
>> Example:  On a MS Windows Server with MS SQL Server.  The
>> administrator with the administrator username and password can not
>> access the SQL server data.  He also needs the SA username and
>> password for the SQL server to do so.  He can stop and start the
>> server and so on but not access the data.
>

> He might not be able to directly access the DB, but he can certainly
> gain access to the raw data files/backups/passwords and gain access
> that way.
>
>> How do I secure a system in the same way with Linux and PostgreSQL.
>

> Unix security is a big topic, but basically if someone has root
> access, then they can gain access to anything on that machine.
>
> However, you can make it harder by requiring passwords for PG and not
> storing them on the machine (other than in their hashed form within
> the database). Of course that means you'll need to supply a password
> for any automatic tasks (e.g. autovacuum etc) which I don't see as
> being easy if you don't store them on the same machine.
>
> But basically, you need to be able to trust the person with the root
> login - it is more powerful than a standard MS-Windows administrator
> account. Do your administrators need root access?
> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
L van der Walt wrote:
> The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and not
> for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.
> There might be other applications on the server so the administrators do
> require root access.
>
> About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.

Well, if it's your client's machine, then they any competent
administrator will be able to work around anything you do. They set the
ground-rules you work in - you could be running inside a virtual machine
and never know.

If your database design is so advanced that you can't chance it falling
into the hands of others then you'll need to keep a separate machine and
  lock it down yourself.

Are your clients really so dishonest that they'd break into the database
and take the necessary steps to hide their tracks too?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Дата:
You could look at what SELinux extensions now available in at least the Red
Hat (and Fedora) distro offer.  I have never done anything with SELinux,
and a quick review of the archives indicates it is not a slam dunk to use.
It is designed to create the kind of restrictive environment you describe.

Without the physical security Berend describes, any other security measures
are illusions.  All other security measures are easily broken by
alternating boot drives, as an example.  I carry a multitool on my
keychain.

Rick

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 10/05/2005 09:23:58 AM:

> L van der Walt wrote:
>
> > I would like to secure Postgres completly.
> >
> > Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
> > 1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.
> > 2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.
> > 3. Disable all tools like pg_dump
> >
> > How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
> > The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
> > any information in the databse.
>
> It may be just me and my silly old-fashion attitudes, but I kind of
> think that if your sys admin(s) cannot be trusted, you are pretty much
> screwed. And your hiring process needs fixing,
>
> But being that as it may, maintaining physical security, i.e., keeping
> the host server in a locked room with restricted and recorded access and
> that requires at least two persons present so that collusion is required
> for tampering, disabling remote root login, granting limited sys admin
> privileges with sudo (which records the sudoer activities, for auditing
> purposes) might be a way to accomplish what you are looking for.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
If you don't trust the administrators you should find someone else to admin
your machine.

Main question: what do you need the administrators to do for you? If you
only need them to do a few things, then it is much easier to limit their
access.

Because, on most popular systems (e.g. C2-level O/S + hardware or lower)
technically competent administrators with _full_ administrative accounts
and/or physical access are able to get full read access to practically any
file. So they will be able to view information in the database.

Backup operators are often able to get similar access.

You could try to use encryption, but in my opinion that is more for making
_accidental_ viewing of data harder, and to make it easier to prove that
intentional breaches of policy were attempted.

BTW you may wish to put dummy data in your database (fake accounts, etc),
so that if there is a compromise (or an attempt in progress), you might
have a chance of detecting it. Some triggers might help too (don't use them
on _all_ your fake data, just a few might do).

Regards,
Link.

At 03:36 PM 10/5/2005 +0200, L van der Walt wrote:

>I would like to secure Postgres completly.
>
>Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
>1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.
>2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.
>3. Disable all tools like pg_dump
>
>How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
>The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
>any information in the databse.
>
>Regards
>
>Lani

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
At 04:48 PM 10/5/2005 +0200, L van der Walt wrote:

>The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and not
>for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.
>There might be other applications on the server so the administrators do
>require root access.

If it's so important to you, put it on a secured separate physical server,
use encryption, and you admin it.

If you do it right, you should be able to make the client pay for the
separate server ;).

Virtual machines aren't an option, performance on x86 platforms isn't so
good for now AND most VM products often have a snapshot/suspend feature,
which might be useful for looking in the "RAM" for keys and stuff...

>About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.

I'm sure at some point you'd need to decrypt the data, so be careful how
you do things at that point. How are you going to do it?

Don't forget, if you secure things so much, it gets hard for the client too.

The client may also ask: how can they trust you?

I wouldn't recommend anybody to have any of their critical/important data
in an encrypted database which they have no access to without a 3rd party's
help.

Regards,
Link.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
"Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher"
Дата:
Also sprach L van der Walt (mailing@lani.co.za)
> The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and not
> for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.

[...]

> About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.

How shall the DBMS acces the data files? It will need the key, be it a
simple password or a pub key for asymmetric encryption. So you have to
store the key somewhere on the machine where an administrator can
access it. You could store the key on another machine, but it has to
be transmitted to the server, so anyone with physical (or at least
root access) can sniff it.

However, there is *no* way to protect a computer program from being
reverse engineered. If you want to run it, it has to be read and
executed by the server, so it can also be analyzed by an attacker.

That's actually the same problem Digital Restriction Management
systems have, the simply *do* *not* *work*.

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--

http://mdc3.cybernotic.org/ - Chaostreff Magdeburg

Вложения

Re: Securing Postgres

Дата:
L van der Walt <mailing@lani.co.za> writes:
> The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and not
> for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.
> There might be other applications on the server so the administrators do
> require root access.
> About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.

If you think encryption will protect you against someone with root
privileges, you're sadly mistaken.  They could, for example, attach
to your process with a debugger and examine the decrypted data appearing
within its memory space.  Or just capture the decryption key that way,
and then study the files at their leisure.

All the same points hold for SQL Server of course --- the fact that you
weren't aware of these risks doesn't mean they don't exist.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Securing Postgres

От
L van der Walt
Дата:
Richard Huxton wrote:

> L van der Walt wrote:
>
>> The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and
>> not for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.
>> There might be other applications on the server so the administrators
>> do require root access.
>>
>> About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.
>

> Well, if it's your client's machine, then they any competent
> administrator will be able to work around anything you do. They set
> the ground-rules you work in - you could be running inside a virtual
> machine and never know.
>
> If your database design is so advanced that you can't chance it
> falling into the hands of others then you'll need to keep a separate
> machine and  lock it down yourself.
>
> Are your clients really so dishonest that they'd break into the
> database and take the necessary steps to hide their tracks too?
>
> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

No I can not trust the clients administrators.

I have played now with MySQL and with MySQL you can change the password
for root in MySQL (same as postgres in PostgreSQL).  If you use the
command line tools like dump you require the password.  Just because
your root doesn't mean your root in MySQL

Can one separate the user postgres in PostgreSQL from the user postgres
in Linux(The OS)?

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:37:38PM +0200, L van der Walt wrote:
> Then, I might as well just leave the whole PostgreSQL DB and write my
> own mini DB with encrypted XML files.  I am sure someone must have an
> answer for me.

I think you are missing the point. Root is all powerful, end of story.
They could copy the datafiles to another machine and read them there.
If you can access the Postgres user you can copy the files also. Root
can open the debugger on the PostgreSQL backend and read data that way.

Root can use the debugger to bypass access protection in PostgreSQL,
and the backend would have no way to knowing it even happened. Root can
sniff the packets going over the network. Root can read the password
and ident files. Root can access kernel memory and adjust his own
permissions. Root can create a jail and make processes think they're
on the same machine when they're actual somewhere else.

In your example, they could simply extract your encyption key from the
memory of your program and decrypt the database files themselves. There
is no defense.

Root *is* god. If you don't trust the users, don't give them root. Why
should you? Perhaps you need explain what you want more carefully.
Maybe SELinux has a start for you, but you should probably just not let
people have root, seriously.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:27, L van der Walt wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>
> > L van der Walt wrote:
> >
> >> The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and
> >> not for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.
> >> There might be other applications on the server so the administrators
> >> do require root access.
> >>
> >> About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.
> >

> > Well, if it's your client's machine, then they any competent
> > administrator will be able to work around anything you do. They set
> > the ground-rules you work in - you could be running inside a virtual
> > machine and never know.
> >
> > If your database design is so advanced that you can't chance it
> > falling into the hands of others then you'll need to keep a separate
> > machine and  lock it down yourself.
> >
> > Are your clients really so dishonest that they'd break into the
> > database and take the necessary steps to hide their tracks too?
> >
> > --
> >   Richard Huxton
> >   Archonet Ltd
> >

> No I can not trust the clients administrators.
>
> I have played now with MySQL and with MySQL you can change the password
> for root in MySQL (same as postgres in PostgreSQL).  If you use the
> command line tools like dump you require the password.  Just because
> your root doesn't mean your root in MySQL
>
> Can one separate the user postgres in PostgreSQL from the user postgres
> in Linux(The OS)?

I think you're missing the point, severely, at this time.  For instance:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/resetting-permissions.html

tells you how to reset the root password for mysql.  notice this isn't
on some 'leet hacker site, it's on the MYSQL site.

Yes, you can seperate the postgres user in postgres from the one in
unix.  No, it won't help with your current problem.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 09:37, L van der Walt wrote:
> Berend Tober wrote:
>
> > L van der Walt wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to secure Postgres completly.
> >>
> >> Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
> >> 1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.
> >> 2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.
> >> 3. Disable all tools like pg_dump
> >>
> >> How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
> >> The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
> >> any information in the databse.
> >

> > It may be just me and my silly old-fashion attitudes, but I kind of
> > think that if your sys admin(s) cannot be trusted, you are pretty much
> > screwed. And your hiring process needs fixing,
> >
> > But being that as it may, maintaining physical security, i.e., keeping
> > the host server in a locked room with restricted and recorded access
> > and that requires at least two persons present so that collusion is
> > required for tampering, disabling remote root login, granting limited
> > sys admin privileges with sudo (which records the sudoer activities,
> > for auditing purposes) might be a way to accomplish what you are
> > looking for.
> >

> Then, I might as well just leave the whole PostgreSQL DB and write my
> own mini DB with encrypted XML files.  I am sure someone must have an
> answer for me.

And it still won't be secure, because whoever has administrator / root
access can copy all the files off, including the encryption keys, and
then get access that way.

This is an interesting thread, but ultimately it's a discussion about
angels dancing on the head of a pin.  If someone can log in as root,
they can get access to the data.

If you break the encryption out so that the data is encrypted before it
gets to the database, then that data is secure from the administrator of
the db machine, but now vulnerable to the administrator of the middle
tier machine doing the encryption.

Trying to implement security procedures to reduce root's access are
ultimately futile, no matter how much code you throw at the problem.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
L van der Walt wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>
>> L van der Walt wrote:
>>
>>> The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and
>>> not for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.
>>> There might be other applications on the server so the administrators
>>> do require root access.

>> Well, if it's your client's machine, then they any competent
>> administrator will be able to work around anything you do. They set
>> the ground-rules you work in - you could be running inside a virtual
>> machine and never know.

>> Are your clients really so dishonest that they'd break into the
>> database and take the necessary steps to hide their tracks too?

> No I can not trust the clients administrators.

Then you really need to have your own machine.

> I have played now with MySQL and with MySQL you can change the password
> for root in MySQL (same as postgres in PostgreSQL).  If you use the
> command line tools like dump you require the password.  Just because
> your root doesn't mean your root in MySQL

Oh, you can stop playing. But you won't stop a determined administrator
for more than about 5 minutes with just a password.

> Can one separate the user postgres in PostgreSQL from the user postgres
> in Linux(The OS)?

Naturally - just set your pg_hba.conf to use passwords rather than
ident. See the manuals for details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 05:27:22PM +0200, L van der Walt wrote:
> I have played now with MySQL and with MySQL you can change the password
> for root in MySQL (same as postgres in PostgreSQL).  If you use the
> command line tools like dump you require the password.  Just because
> your root doesn't mean your root in MySQL

If you think that protects your data, I have a bridge to sell you. All
I would need to do would be to download the MySQL source, delete the
password check, compile and I can see all the data.

> Can one separate the user postgres in PostgreSQL from the user postgres
> in Linux(The OS)?

Sure, delete the entries from pg_hba.conf. Like so:

root@vali:~# su - postgres
postgres@vali:~$ psql test
psql: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "[local]", user "postgres", database "test", SSL off

See, can't get in. Ofcourse, your "rogue" administrators would simply
add themselves to the config file and they're in. They're root you
see...

Re: Securing Postgres

От
"Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher"
Дата:
Also sprach Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher (stefan@net-tex.de)
> Also sprach L van der Walt (mailing@lani.co.za)
> > The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and not
> > for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.
>
> [...]
>
> > About the raw database files,  I can use encryption to protect the data.
>
> How shall the DBMS acces the data files? It will need the key, be it a
> simple password or a pub key for asymmetric encryption. So you have to

*gee, s/pub key/priv key/

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--
Der Geist des Kriegers sollte mit Beginn des Neujahrstages bis zum Ende
des Jahres vom Gedanken an seinen Tod beherrscht werden.

Daijouji Shigesuke in "Budo Shoshin Shuu"

Вложения

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Berend Tober
Tom Lane wrote:

>L van der Walt <mailing@lani.co.za> writes:
>

>>...I can use encryption to protect the data.
>>

>If you think encryption will protect you against someone with root
>privileges, you're sadly mistaken.  ...
>
>All the same points hold for SQL Server of course --- the fact that you
>weren't aware of these risks doesn't mean they don't exist.

OUCH!!

Re: Securing Postgres

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:48:33PM +0200, L van der Walt wrote:
> The big problem is that the administrators works for the client and not
> for me.  I don't want the client to reverse engineer my database.

You don't need a technical solution; you need a legal one. Anyone with
physical access to a machine can obtain any data on (or moving through)
that machine, plain and simple.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
"Uwe C. Schroeder"
Дата:
On Wednesday 05 October 2005 07:37, L van der Walt wrote:
> Berend Tober wrote:
> > L van der Walt wrote:
> >> I would like to secure Postgres completly.
> >>
> >> Some issues that I don't know you to fix:
> >> 1.  User postgres can use psql (...) to do anything.
> >> 2.  User root can su to postgres and thus do anything.
> >> 3. Disable all tools like pg_dump
> >>
> >> How do I secure a database if I don't trust the administrators.
> >> The administrator will not break the db but they may not view
> >> any information in the databse.
> >
> > It may be just me and my silly old-fashion attitudes, but I kind of
> > think that if your sys admin(s) cannot be trusted, you are pretty much
> > screwed. And your hiring process needs fixing,
> >
> > But being that as it may, maintaining physical security, i.e., keeping
> > the host server in a locked room with restricted and recorded access
> > and that requires at least two persons present so that collusion is
> > required for tampering, disabling remote root login, granting limited
> > sys admin privileges with sudo (which records the sudoer activities,
> > for auditing purposes) might be a way to accomplish what you are
> > looking for.
>
> Then, I might as well just leave the whole PostgreSQL DB and write my
> own mini DB with encrypted XML files.  I am sure someone must have an
> answer for me.

As long as I have the console OR root access you can write whatever you want -
it's just a matter of time to read the data. That's true for Windows, Unix,
Mac - basically any computer - maybe except the 2 or 3 in the pentagon that
use biometric sensors to figure out who wants to fire the nukes.

If you can't trust the sysadmin at your customer, the employees can't be
trusted either. So even if you encrypt everything, somebody needs to have the
key to decrypt, otherwise your whole software is disfunctional. What hinders
the employee from giving that password to the sysadmin (over a cup of
coffee)? I can't think of ANY system that is safe if someone got the console
and/or the root password.

As others have said - you need a legal solution. Have your customer sign a
non-disclosure agreement plus a EULA that restricts your customer from
decompiling, reverse-engineering etc (just download an EULA from Microsoft -
their's is pretty complete). Make the penalties for disassembling high enough
that it hurts when they do (say $500.000 per case). That certainly depends on
the legal system of the country you're selling the software in, so invest the
money into a good attorney rather than an encrypted solution.
If any of my customers would ask me if they should buy a system where they
can't access THEIR data in any other way than using the software that comes
with the deal I'd tell them to back off.  Most customers on the planet are
not interested in your software - they make money from THEIR DATA.

I've got a pretty complicated insurance system out there - it took me 5 years
to develop and I'm actually distributing it in source together with a plotted
copy of UML and database diagrams. The point is: none of my customers ever
tried to use the software in any other way than agreed upon. Although I
manage the server (I give it to them as part of the deal, so I deliver
software plus hardware plus maintenance and off-site backup in one contract)
usually someone in the company has the root password just in case I get hit
by a bus. Some of my customers even have an agreement that they can modify
the software IF either agreed upon in a separate statement OR I can't provide
the solution they need.
All in all this provides pretty happy customers to me. They know they can use
the software even if I go out of business for some reason. Some level of
trust is the basis for a good customer relationship (too much trust will kill
you though).

    UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 06:19:39PM -0700, Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> If any of my customers would ask me if they should buy a system where they
> can't access THEIR data in any other way than using the software that comes
> with the deal I'd tell them to back off.  Most customers on the planet are
> not interested in your software - they make money from THEIR DATA.

This is the bit that's been bugging me this whole thread. Who owns the
data? I've had to help people out with programs where they could type
data in but couldn't get the reports they wanted out. Furtunatly,
Access's access control is, uh, simplistic and I created the reports
they needed.

If someone tried to sell me a system where I couldn't even get in table
format the raw info I had entered, I'd tell them to go away. Like you
say, the data is way more important that whatever program you're using.

Re: Securing Postgres

От
Bohdan Linda
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:57:32AM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> This is the bit that's been bugging me this whole thread. Who owns the
> data? I've had to help people out with programs where they could type
> data in but couldn't get the reports they wanted out. Furtunatly,
> Access's access control is, uh, simplistic and I created the reports
> they needed.
>
> If someone tried to sell me a system where I couldn't even get in table
> format the raw info I had entered, I'd tell them to go away. Like you
> say, the data is way more important that whatever program you're using.

It is not that easy. I.e. most(if not all) world manufacturers of SDH or
DWDM technologies know that the data is very important. They know that at
certain time customers will want to have an access to *their* raw data, so
they all have (mostly limited) interfaces to their EMSes.  But they have
to be purchased for incredible ammounts of money. In such cases TelCos
cannot say: "go away"

regards,
Bohdan