Обсуждение: Re: Schema comparison tool

Re: Schema comparison tool

От
bradsnobar@netscape.net (Bradley D. Snobar)
Дата:
The database comparer tool is one of EMS better products.

http://www.sqlmanager.net/
http://www.sqlmanager.net/products/postgresql/dbcomparer

Jeff Amiel <jamiel@istreamimaging.com> wrote:

>I'm looking specifically for a tool to help compare 2 database schemas
>(nominally, production and development) and generate the appropriate SQL
>(that can be later executed) to bring the to schema's into sync.
>
>Option1 :
>pg_dump -s  firstdatabasename > first
>pg_dump -s seconddatabasename > second
>diff first second
>(obviously wont generate SQL to remedy the differences)
>
>Option2:
>pgdiff (http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgdiff/projdisplay.php)
>(old abandoned perl project that doesn't work...)
>
>Option 3:
>pgdiff (http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgdiff/projdisplay.php)
>(old abandoned TCL project which requires AOLServer to run???)
>
>Option 4:
>EMS PostgreSQL DB Comparer
>(http://www.sqlmanager.net/products/postgresql/dbcomparer)
>Slick tool...fairly cheap ($69)...doesnt let you exclude certain
>specific tables/sequences/databases, but otherwise, pretty functional.
>
>What does the rest of the postgreSQL admin community do in order to
>"bring-live" database schema changes from their development environment
>to production?  Are there other options/techniques out there?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Jeff

>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Re: Schema comparison tool

От
"Ian Harding"
Дата:
I keep scripts for drop/creation or replacement of each type of object,
and a shell script to run them in order.  I only make changes in the
scripts.  They can be run one at a time if only one type of object has
changed or been created.  I keep backups of data only, and have an
intermediate step in the shell script that loads data after tables are
created and before the other objects are created.

The scripts are in a revision control system, so if I have to restore
old data, I use the old schema.

Ian Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
iharding@tpchd.org
Phone: (253) 798-3549
Pager: (253) 754-0002

>>> Jeff Amiel <jamiel@istreamimaging.com> 02/15/05 7:01 AM >>>
I'm looking specifically for a tool to help compare 2 database schemas
(nominally, production and development) and generate the appropriate SQL

(that can be later executed) to bring the to schema's into sync.

Option1 :
pg_dump -s  firstdatabasename > first
pg_dump -s seconddatabasename > second
diff first second
(obviously wont generate SQL to remedy the differences)

Option2:
pgdiff (http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgdiff/projdisplay.php)
(old abandoned perl project that doesn't work...)

Option 3:
pgdiff (http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgdiff/projdisplay.php)
(old abandoned TCL project which requires AOLServer to run???)

Option 4:
EMS PostgreSQL DB Comparer
(http://www.sqlmanager.net/products/postgresql/dbcomparer)
Slick tool...fairly cheap ($69)...doesnt let you exclude certain
specific tables/sequences/databases, but otherwise, pretty functional.

What does the rest of the postgreSQL admin community do in order to
"bring-live" database schema changes from their development environment
to production?  Are there other options/techniques out there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Re: Schema comparison tool

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Ian Harding wrote:

> I keep scripts for drop/creation or replacement of each type of object,

> I'm looking specifically for a tool to help compare 2 database schemas
> (nominally, production and development) and generate the appropriate SQL

> (that can be later executed) to bring the to schema's into sync.

Jeff,

   Check out subversion, the replacement for cvs. You can keep your schemas
in the repository, modify and compare, merge changes to the head and all
sorts of fun things. Subversion is also for documents.

   Here're the docs: <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/> and here are the sources:
<http://subversion.tigris.org/>.

Have fun,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)

Re: Schema comparison tool

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Agreed, the EMS product really is a slick tool.   On another front, somewhere
on my todo list is to add database diffing abilities to phppgadmin.  There's
a multiple db connection patch floating around that looks like it will be a
help; if I can clear my schedule up enough I might get back to this.

Robert Treat

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 16:31, Bradley D. Snobar wrote:
> The database comparer tool is one of EMS better products.
>
> http://www.sqlmanager.net/
> http://www.sqlmanager.net/products/postgresql/dbcomparer
>
> Jeff Amiel <jamiel@istreamimaging.com> wrote:
> >I'm looking specifically for a tool to help compare 2 database schemas
> >(nominally, production and development) and generate the appropriate SQL
> >(that can be later executed) to bring the to schema's into sync.
> >
> >Option1 :
> >pg_dump -s  firstdatabasename > first
> >pg_dump -s seconddatabasename > second
> >diff first second
> >(obviously wont generate SQL to remedy the differences)
> >
> >Option2:
> >pgdiff (http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgdiff/projdisplay.php)
> >(old abandoned perl project that doesn't work...)
> >
> >Option 3:
> >pgdiff (http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgdiff/projdisplay.php)
> >(old abandoned TCL project which requires AOLServer to run???)
> >
> >Option 4:
> >EMS PostgreSQL DB Comparer
> >(http://www.sqlmanager.net/products/postgresql/dbcomparer)
> >Slick tool...fairly cheap ($69)...doesnt let you exclude certain
> >specific tables/sequences/databases, but otherwise, pretty functional.
> >
> >What does the rest of the postgreSQL admin community do in order to
> >"bring-live" database schema changes from their development environment
> >to production?  Are there other options/techniques out there?
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Jeff

> >TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
> >    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

> Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
> http://isp.netscape.com/register
>
> Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Robert Treat

Re: Schema comparison tool

От
Martin Boese
Дата:
There is a program called pgdiff.. but I could not really make it work and it
seems to be quiet old and unmaintained: http://pgdiff.sourceforge.net/

Martin