Обсуждение: Certifications in military environment

Certifications in military environment

От
Marco Bizzarri
Дата:
Hi all.

I would like to know if postgresql has any certification for the
military environment.

If possible, please answer me directly (I'm not on this mailing list).
Otherwise, I will read from the web interface.

Regards
Marco

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- Marco Bizzarri <m.bizzarri@icube.it> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I would like to know if postgresql has any
> certification for the
> military environment.

There are no official certifications, nor are there
likely to be.  But certifications may be offered by
individual companies, like Red Had does with Linux.

Here is one which might be of interest:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=20041014.104826.128620349.t-ishii%40sra.co.jp

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 17 November 2004 10:56, Jeff Eckermann wrote:
> --- Marco Bizzarri <m.bizzarri@icube.it> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I would like to know if postgresql has any
> > certification for the
> > military environment.
>
> There are no official certifications, nor are there
> likely to be.  But certifications may be offered by
> individual companies, like Red Had does with Linux.
>
> Here is one which might be of interest:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=20041014.104826.128620349.t-
>ishii%40sra.co.jp

Actually I think he was asking about the software being certified for military
use. I don't believe this has been done, however, I know that postgresql was
included in a recent (I believe DOD) report about open source software being
used within the government.  One company you might want to contact is
http://www.devis.com who has done a number of different projects with the
government.  Hope this helps, and if you do get a definitive answer, please
post your finding to the -advocacy group.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Actually I think he was asking about the software being certified for military
> use. I don't believe this has been done, however, I know that postgresql was
> included in a recent (I believe DOD) report about open source software being

PostgreSQL is use in several branches of the government. Including:

Sandia Labs
Forestry Service
Navy
Army
NOAA

It is also used by several states including:

Utah and California

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> used within the government.  One company you might want to contact is
> http://www.devis.com who has done a number of different projects with the
> government.  Hope this helps, and if you do get a definitive answer, please
> post your finding to the -advocacy group.

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
Jeff Amiel
Дата:
Not to question your data, but where did the info about the navy and
army using it come from?  I saw nothing on the advocacy site nor did any
google search for press releases come up with anything.....I'd actually
love to know how/where they are using it...

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> PostgreSQL is use in several branches of the government. Including:
>
> Sandia Labs
> Forestry Service
> Navy
> Army
> NOAA
>
> It is also used by several states including:
>
> Utah and California
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Дата:
Jeff,

Your Googler must be busted....

http://www.ncstech.com/weblogic/www/what/index.jsp?page=six&&cs=landwarrior

http://www.dpi.inpe.br/geopro/referencias/shekar_spatial_databases.pdf

http://www.waterwatch.com/process/plan-datamanage.htm

Rick

                      Jeff Amiel

                      <jamiel@istreamimaging.        To:       pgsql-general@postgresql.org

                      com>                           cc:

                      Sent by:                       Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] Certifications in military environment

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos

                      tgresql.org

                      11/18/2004 11:40 AM

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> PostgreSQL is use in several branches of the government. Including:
>
> Sandia Labs
> Forestry Service
> Navy
> Army
> NOAA
>
> It is also used by several states including:
>
> Utah and California
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Not to question your data, but where did the info about the navy and
> army using it come from?  I saw nothing on the advocacy site nor did any
> google search for press releases come up with anything.....I'd actually
> love to know how/where they are using it...

Uhmmm cause they are customers of mine ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>PostgreSQL is use in several branches of the government. Including:
>>
>>Sandia Labs
>>Forestry Service
>>Navy
>>Army
>>NOAA
>>
>>It is also used by several states including:
>>
>>Utah and California
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Jeff Amiel wrote:
> Not to question your data, but where did the info about the navy and
> army using it come from?  I saw nothing on the advocacy site nor did any
> google search for press releases come up with anything.....I'd actually
> love to know how/where they are using it...

I can not tell you what they are using it for. I can tell you that all
of them sans Sandia Labs, Utah and CA are customers. I know CA uses it
cause I have given them gratis consulting and I know Utah uses it
because they have asked to bid on a couple of projects. I know Sandia
uses it for the same reason I know Utah uses it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> PostgreSQL is use in several branches of the government. Including:
>>
>> Sandia Labs
>> Forestry Service
>> Navy
>> Army
>> NOAA
>>
>> It is also used by several states including:
>>
>> Utah and California
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
Marco Bizzarri
Дата:
Jeff Eckermann wrote:
> --- Marco Bizzarri <m.bizzarri@icube.it> wrote:
>

>>Hi all.
>>
>>I would like to know if postgresql has any
>>certification for the
>>military environment.
>

> There are no official certifications, nor are there
> likely to be.  But certifications may be offered by
> individual companies, like Red Had does with Linux.
>
> Here is one which might be of interest:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=20041014.104826.128620349.t-ishii%40sra.co.jp
>

>>If possible, please answer me directly (I'm not on
>>this mailing list).
>>Otherwise, I will read from the web interface.
>>
>>Regards
>>Marco

Thanks for your answer, I will check with that company. My problem
however was not with certification of a person as an expert of postgres,
but of certification of the platform as suitable for military enviroment
(like the C2 or ITSEC certifications...)

Regards
Marco

Re: Certifications in military environment

Дата:
USA Homeland Security also uses it, but I can't say how I know.  :-)

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jeff Amiel wrote:
> > Not to question your data, but where did the info about the navy and
> > army using it come from?  I saw nothing on the advocacy site nor did any
> > google search for press releases come up with anything.....I'd actually
> > love to know how/where they are using it...
>
> I can not tell you what they are using it for. I can tell you that all
> of them sans Sandia Labs, Utah and CA are customers. I know CA uses it
> cause I have given them gratis consulting and I know Utah uses it
> because they have asked to bid on a couple of projects. I know Sandia
> uses it for the same reason I know Utah uses it.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> >> PostgreSQL is use in several branches of the government. Including:
> >>
> >> Sandia Labs
> >> Forestry Service
> >> Navy
> >> Army
> >> NOAA
> >>
> >> It is also used by several states including:
> >>
> >> Utah and California
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> Joshua D. Drake

> Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator. Integrated Replication for PostgreSQL

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2004-11-16 14:43:26, schrieb Marco Bizzarri:
> Hi all.
>
> I would like to know if postgresql has any certification for the
> military environment.

You mean "Common Criteria EAL-5". I am working for the french
governement and currently we have only EAL-4 for around 30 packages
from Debian GNU/Linux v3.0 (WOODY) reached. The rest (~450) of the
selected Packages are in EAL-3.

Our goal is to reach EAL-5 not only for Servers but Workststions to.

Maybe in the middle of the next year we will create a public mirror.

Unfortunatly many Developers do not like to follow the CC-EAL.

> If possible, please answer me directly (I'm not on this mailing list).
> Otherwise, I will read from the web interface.

> Regards
> Marco

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Certifications in military environment

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2004-11-21 21:59:46, schrieb Bruce Momjian:

> USA Homeland Security also uses it, but I can't say how I know.  :-)

Yes, because you are working for it :-)

And I can tell you, that I was 12 years in the French Legion and
since 1995 I am working in a military internal service (IT).

We are using postgresql on Debian GNU/Linux.