Обсуждение: Gentoo for production DB server?

Gentoo for production DB server?

От
"Christine Desmuke"
Hello:

At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

Some background: we've been running PostgreSQL on assorted versions of
Red Hat for a couple of years. RedHat Enterprise is not an option, so we
currently have a mix of Fedora, RH 9, White Box Enterprise (a RedHat
clone), and Gentoo, and want to settle on a single distro, with White
Box and Gentoo the leading contenders. Hardware is mostly Dell PowerEdge
or white-box. I prefer to build PostgreSQL from source anyway, so
package management is not as important as stability and ease of
maintenance/updates. Most of what I've read says that Gentoo is either
the greatest thing since sliced bread or not ready for primetime; in
either case, details are sketchy. I would like to hear especially from
people who are either running Gentoo in production or have tried and
rejected it.

Thank you.

Christine Desmuke
Kansas State Historical Society
cdesmuke (at) kshs (dot) org

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Greg Donald
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:33, Christine Desmuke wrote:
> At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
> use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
> a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
> anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

I used Gentoo for a long time on my home systems but I recently quit.

It's a "fun" distro as far as the options and all, and it has a great
user community for support.. but I got tired of the Gentoo developers
(whether intentional or not) pushing out new stuff marked as "stable"
when it obviously was not.  The price was right and I knew going in I
wasn't getting a perfectly stable distro, but nevertheless they left me
with a broken machine on several occasions.  Having a slightly faster
machine isn't worth the headaches to me personally.

For stability, db/web server usage and such, I'd go with Debian.
For features, desktop systems, etc., I'd go with Suse.  9.1 is
impressive.
For security, firewall, or router usage, I'd go with *BSD.

--
Greg Donald

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
I've been extremely happy with my gentoo boxes.  I switched from
Slackware over the past year or so after many years of Slackware
zealotry.  I have nothing bad to say about using Gentoo other than I
personally wouldnt use portage/ebuilds for PostgreSQL.  Personally I
always have better experiences when I download the source tarball and
install things like PostgreSQL the way the developers distribute them.

Gavin

Greg Donald wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:33, Christine Desmuke wrote:
>

>>At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
>>use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
>>a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
>>anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?
>>

>I used Gentoo for a long time on my home systems but I recently quit.
>
>It's a "fun" distro as far as the options and all, and it has a great
>user community for support.. but I got tired of the Gentoo developers
>(whether intentional or not) pushing out new stuff marked as "stable"
>when it obviously was not.  The price was right and I knew going in I
>wasn't getting a perfectly stable distro, but nevertheless they left me
>with a broken machine on several occasions.  Having a slightly faster
>machine isn't worth the headaches to me personally.
>
>For stability, db/web server usage and such, I'd go with Debian.
>For features, desktop systems, etc., I'd go with Suse.  9.1 is
>impressive.
>For security, firewall, or router usage, I'd go with *BSD.

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Mark Gibson
Дата:
Christine Desmuke wrote:
> At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
> use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
> a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
> anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

We were using Gentoo until recently on production servers, and still do
on some development machines. I've never had a problem with it, and
would recommend it if you know what you're doing; only upgrade packages
when you really need to, don't do emerge -u world/system, preferably
perform updates on an exact mirror, test well, then switch servers,
and sync up.
If you treat it kindly, Gentoo will treat you kindly.
We've now switched to RHEL3 (management decision - for support!),
which IMHO is an admin nightmare (but thats just RPM's for you).
We had to download and compile several important packages manually,
the supplied PostgreSQL was very out of date, and PHP didn't even
have PostgreSQL support builtin.
You also don't have to install tons of unused crap, like X11.

Provided you don't have management breathing down your neck about
operating system support, and you know your way around a Linux system
without a mouse, then I'd heartly recommend Gentoo.

--
Mark Gibson <gibsonm |AT| cromwell |DOT| co |DOT| uk>
Web Developer & Database Admin

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
"Matthew Marlowe"
Дата:
>> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:33, Christine Desmuke wrote:
>> > At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
>> > use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
>> > a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
>> > anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

Gentoo makes a great platform for production linux systems (Postgresql
and otherwise), if:

a) You have at least one machine dedicated to testing and validating updates

b) You restrict non-urgent/security updates to once/quarter

Gentoo has alot of features, is amazingly customizeable, and can significantly
reduce long term systems maintenance costs -- but it isn't a silver bullet. You have
to take over some QA tasks that redhat/etc would otherwise be doing.

We currently have about 100 gentoo servers here, and wouldn't think about switching
to any other distro.  But just because the gentoo developers release a new ebuild, doesn't
mean that we deploy it w/o testing.

Regards,
Matt

--
Matthew Marlowe - DeployLinux Consulting
Architecture and Implementation for Linux Powered E-Business

Office: 805-277-1882 / Cell: 805-857-9144
Fax: 805-277-9721 / matt@deploylinux.net

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Greg Donald
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 08:46, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
> Gentoo has alot of features, is amazingly customizeable, and can significantly
> reduce long term systems maintenance costs -- but it isn't a silver bullet. You have
> to take over some QA tasks that redhat/etc would otherwise be doing.
>
> We currently have about 100 gentoo servers here, and wouldn't think about switching
> to any other distro.  But just because the gentoo developers release a new ebuild, doesn't
> mean that we deploy it w/o testing.

That's exactly my point.  They provide a way for you to add unstable
packages using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86".  I never used the command because
I never _wanted_ unstable packages.  Seems I got them anyway.

--
Greg Donald

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 05:01:42PM -0500, Greg Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 16:33, Christine Desmuke wrote:
> > At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
> > use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
> > a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
> > anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?
>
> I used Gentoo for a long time on my home systems but I recently quit.
>
> It's a "fun" distro as far as the options and all, and it has a great
> user community for support.. but I got tired of the Gentoo developers
> (whether intentional or not) pushing out new stuff marked as "stable"
> when it obviously was not.  The price was right and I knew going in I

Agreed.

> For stability, db/web server usage and such, I'd go with Debian.
> For features, desktop systems, etc., I'd go with Suse.  9.1 is
> impressive.
> For security, firewall, or router usage, I'd go with *BSD.

Actually, FreeBSD is an outstanding platform for stability as well. They
offer -current, -stable, and security branches depending on how much
instability you can tolerate.

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Cott Lang
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:01, Greg Donald wrote:
> when it obviously was not.  The price was right and I knew going in I
> wasn't getting a perfectly stable distro, but nevertheless they left me
> with a broken machine on several occasions.  Having a slightly faster
> machine isn't worth the headaches to me personally.

I too fiddled with it at home for a while. I saw a few benchmarks
showing Gentoo was actually slower than Redhat and Mandrake - then I
really wasn't sure why I was compiling for days. :)  Yes, I know you
don't have to compile everything. Yes, I realize those benchmarks
weren't the most scientific.

We use Redhat in production. When it came to decision time, the only
real contenders were Redhat and Suse, because we wanted someone else to
QA our operating system (not our business focus - that would cost us
more than the OS) and we needed the best hardware vendor support. We
picked Redhat over Suse primarily because everyone in our organization
had Redhat experience (and on their desktops) but no Suse experience -
otherwise I probably would've gone with Suse. I'm really tired of poor
file system diversity on Redhat.

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Gaetano Mendola
Barry S wrote:

> In article <s12b6e1f.099@mothra.kshs.org>, "Christine Desmuke" wrote:
>
>>Hello:
>>
>>At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
>>use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
>>a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
>>anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?
>>

> <snip>
>
> I'm an ex-Gentoo admin, not because gentoo isn't fun, just that you need
> to really really like to constantly fiddle with it to keep it happy.
>
> The worst thing is to have not done an 'emerge world' in 2 months, only
> to discover that there are now 99 pending updates.

Do you was obliged to catch them ?

Gaetano

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:

Jeremiah Elliott wrote:

| Gaetano Mendola wrote:
|
|> Barry S wrote:

|>> <snip>
|>>
|>> I'm an ex-Gentoo admin, not because gentoo isn't fun, just that you need
|>> to really really like to constantly fiddle with it to keep it happy.
|>>
|>> The worst thing is to have not done an 'emerge world' in 2 months, only
|>> to discover that there are now 99 pending updates.
|>

|> Do you was obliged to catch them ?
|>
|> Gaetano
| I use gentoo and RHEL.  My biggest beef with redhat is that their rpm of
| postgres is of a rather old version, so I end up downloading the source
| tar and compiling it my self. Also I would really like to be running XFS
| on all my databases servers, but the only fs I can run on the redhat
| servers is ext3.
| -jeremiah

And how RH can delivery a Postgres upgrade if it require an initdb ?
The reason as already discussed is a leak of pg_upgrade that can permit
the upgrade without perform a cicle of:

dump-install-initdb-crossedfingers-reload

and even if the pg_upgrade was existing for sure I'll not trust my data to
an automatic upgrade.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Barry S
Дата:
In article <s12b6e1f.099@mothra.kshs.org>, "Christine Desmuke" wrote:
> Hello:
>
> At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
> use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
> a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
> anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?

<snip>

I'm an ex-Gentoo admin, not because gentoo isn't fun, just that you need
to really really like to constantly fiddle with it to keep it happy.

The worst thing is to have not done an 'emerge world' in 2 months, only
to discover that there are now 99 pending updates.

The biggest problem is not the technology of Gentoo (the ebuild system /
portage is cool), but its the maintainers. It's very much of a
bleeding-edge atmosphere...

These days all my servers are either RHES or Debian-stable.

All in all, debian is one of the best server platforms out there in the
'free' world, IMHO.

I've been exceedingly pleased with it. I love the attention to detail
and security, and yet they still let you have plenty of customization power.

-Barry

Re: Gentoo for production DB server?

От
Barry S
>>>At the risk of starting a flame-war, I'd like some more details on the
>>>use of Gentoo Linux for a production PostgreSQL server. There have been
>>>a couple of comments lately that it is not such a great idea; does
>>>anyone have specific experience they'd be willing to share?
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> I'm an ex-Gentoo admin, not because gentoo isn't fun, just that you need
>> to really really like to constantly fiddle with it to keep it happy.
>>
>> The worst thing is to have not done an 'emerge world' in 2 months, only
>> to discover that there are now 99 pending updates.
>
> Do you was obliged to catch them ?
>
> Gaetano

Well, in a sense, yes. You see the entire reason I was updating was
because of a security patch for sshd.

The chain of dependencies in this case (eg. sshd -> glibc -> gcc),
mandated that I wound up needing to do a fairly substantial emerge.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gentoo as a technology, I just personally
think its not ready for use in production servers.

-Barry